Need help and Info Convert 78 f250 4x4 from 460 to 300 6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam32

Reaction score
I have a 78 f250 4x4 4spd originally had 460, I want to put 300 6 into it. I believe ill have to change the motor mount perches. If so i have not been able to find any and I see broncograveyard has conversion kits im not sure which one is correct they say 460 conversion mounts 300 6 cyl 77-79 f250 f350. I am not sure if this is the right kit?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Their part # 30500 is engine towers. They don't show any towers for I-6 300

You may be confusing it with "motor mounts".  i.e rubber mounts between tower & engine..?

I can't find what you're quoting.   Post a link so we can see what you're look'n at.

Also.., at/near the top of this home page, you'll see Ford "F" series. Checking in there may help as well.

Good luck..,

B

OP
OP
A

Adam32

Reaction score
Yes im looking for the towers, I wasn't exactly sure of what people call them there have been a few different names when talking to people. I just missed calling in  to bronco graveyard because is see a conversion with the towers and motor mounts that state 460 conversion mounts 300 6 cyl, which im not sure if it mean 460 to 300 or 300 to 460. A good friend is a career welder and i was thinking of making them because im sure I wont find any factory on a scrap truck. I am trying not to have to leave doubt with the correct positioning of the motor and trans and so on. I have been torn between keeping the 460 or going with what i want in the 300, so if this is going to be a extreme headache i may stay with the 460.

OP
OP
A

Adam32

Reaction score
To me they look like they would be for  a 300 due to how tall the towers are in the picture against what the v8's look like.

muddrivermike

Reaction score
As far as I know.. The towers bolt to the frame are all the same.  At least what Ive come across, It was just the rubber engine mounts that was what you had to change depending on the engine. As for the radiator, you can use the 460 rad, But what was different was the fan shroud. Meaning, Where the fan opening was,centered, off-centered.  But If you get a shroud from a 73-79 I6,It might not be the exact width of the 460 radiator. In these trucks there seems to be different width radiators concerning where the shroud bolts up. That engine with the correct rubber mounts should just drop in. Double check though just in case I have something incorrect. But all these years playing with these trucks,I have not once had to change towers.  Good luck

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Also re-reading this all.. What bully bob said about the length.  I don't recall any 300 engine having an automatic trans. They were all manual, which I believe makes up the length difference from an automatic. Thats why they can drop in. The transfer cases were all in the same spot. Except in the divorced cases on the supercab and crew cabs. 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
BTW.., what is your intended use for this rig..?

I'd go to the bone-yards & do some measurements (towers) as to the length, height, & location on ea. engine.

As to intended use..., there's ways to de-tune the 460 for a bit more MPG if that's your concern.

In any case. these rigs aren't fuel sipping daily drivers.., no matter what eng. :-B   

Last edited by a moderator:

muddrivermike

Reaction score
Looks like you may be right. I also found 1 post on another site that said something about moving the "mounts" up one space. I dont know if they are talking about the perches or the rubber mounts themselves.. I wonder what the **** we were doing that we didnt run into this issue. Too far back for me to figure out. Hey I learned something new.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

chrlsful

Reaction score
4 future viewers (I no it's an old thread)

300 or 'Falcon motor' (yes it started as a VW bug rival in 1960 as a 144 ci) has a different tower in a different place.

For on-line experts (an ex is a has been, a spirt is water under pressure) go to the fordsix site.  Scroll the forums to trucks, 240/300ci.  I went from 302 to 170 in my '66 bronk and tossed my bent8 mount/tower with their help.