4 wheel drive will not engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudboyz

Reaction score
I have a 94 bronco and sometimes will shaft into 4 wheel drive but never when i need it. I had 35 inch tire on it and that is when i found the problem but when i put 33 inch tires on it would shift fine. put 35 inch tires back on and the problem come back. going nuts because no matter what size tires it should shaft with no problem. i have checked everything from wiren to transfer case axles i dont know im lost now. if anybody has any ideas please help almost to the point of buying all new but if it a easy fix would like to go that way.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

When you swap tires; are all the same diameter and make/model?

& fyi; 94 Bronco-Econoline-F-Series Workshop Manual by Ford

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSRM/~MUS~LEN/21/SRMLEFT.HTif

if electric case (push button)

Electronic Shift Transfer Case Diagnosis https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSRM/~MUS~LEN/20/SRM77007.HTM

read more

Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for Bronco, F Series & Ranger; Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=35193

go through this section;

Diagnosis of the Electric Shift 4 X 4

The Ford "Touch Drive" shift-on-the-fly system is currently available on Ranger, Bronco, F-Series and Explorer. Following are the six common concerns most often expressed by customers:

1. Nothing happens (dead system).
2. No range shift.
3. Attempt to shift into 4H from 2H or 4L results in the module clicking and chattering and the system stops in 2H.
4. At start up, the vehicle shifts on its own.
5. Indicator lights don't register the correct information.
6. Shifting on the fly isn't smooth and may require stopping in order to complete the shift.

OP
OP
mudboyz

mudboyz

Reaction score
yes i made sure of that bc i dont want to hurt the defs

i can hear the transfer case engage but the frount drive will not pull

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
y0m

ok, manual or auto locking hubs?

Operational Test; "... (engine off, hubs disengaged), crawl under the truck with the transfer case in 2HI, you should be able to grab the front drive shaft and turn it by hand. Also with the hubs disengaged you should see the front axles turning freely. Now engage the hubs and you should not be able to turn the drive shaft by hand. Jack the front wheels off the ground with the hubs engaged, turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels should turn. The 4x4 light should not be on in 2HI, when in 4LOW you may have a low range light on, (not all trucks have that light) at least mine doesn't..."
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Operational Test; "...To CHECK FOR PROPER ENGAGEMENT, dial both hubs to LOCK and raise the front left corner of the vehicle off the ground. Spin the lifted tire. The drive line will turn if the Hub is engaging properly. TO CHECK FOR PROPER DISENGAGEMENT, dial the lifted wheel hub into FREE and spin the lifted wheel. If the drive line does not turn AND you hear NO ratcheting sounds, the hub is disengaging properly. Repeat step 5- 6 with the right wheel & hub. NOTE: The hubs are not required to seat against the wheel housing when installed, they may move in and out quite easily. This “float” is normal and will not affect performance..."
Source: by  Warn® http://warn.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WAR/61420C0-pn20990.pdf

I have to roll now   will be back in morning

OP
OP
mudboyz

mudboyz

Reaction score
auto i checked all the spring inside the hubs and regreesed them

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo M.

OK

As Warn advises; "SERVICING INSTRUCTIONS: Service at the same interval as wheel bearings.  Clean and lightly grease internal working surfaces.

Did you try the Tests by Seabronc & Warn?

Also when try 4x4 again do you hear any noises from hubs, such as ratcheting?

OP
OP
mudboyz

mudboyz

Reaction score
no and no i dont hear any noises at the hubs

eaglesoaring

Reaction score
I did have the auto lockers and the test I used it was a personal choice but seemed to work was to raise the front tires off the ground and spin the front drive shaft  within a rev or two the front hubs will lock in and you should here them since you'll be right there

OP
OP
mudboyz

mudboyz

Reaction score
ok i up it in 4 high this morning and the truck lung like it was locked in but the frount still doesnt have any power im thinking now i maybe not locking the hubs. can you over greese them bc last time i took them apart i did put a good bit in them

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
ok i up it in 4 high this morning and the truck lung like it was locked in but the frount still doesnt have any power im thinking now i maybe not locking the hubs. can you over greese them bc last time i took them apart i did put a good bit in them
YO M,

YES, over-greasing hubs can cause issues; again as WARN advises: "...Clean and lightly grease internal working surfaces..."

and as FORD advises; "...Do not pack the hublock body assembly or cap with grease. Excessive grease can cause excessive dialing effort and hub failure..."

OP
OP
mudboyz

mudboyz

Reaction score
ok so now ill take them apart again and clean get back to in a day or two and let you know how it goes

OP
OP
mudboyz

mudboyz

Reaction score
got it one of my hubs was rusted on the inside did not see it before because i did not take them that far apart had to replace seal for wheel hub but now 4 wheel drive is working great thanks for the help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom