1987 bronco c6 and case into a 73??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggermortis

Reaction score
I found a c6 and case out of a 87 bronco on the cheap, and was wondering if anybody knows if it would swap into a 73 without too much trouble,  by too much I mean driveshaft mods, and somewhere I read about a body lift for a c6.  any info would be great thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"3 speed with overdrive(SROD)& hurst 4 speed shifter, tranny converted to fit a dana 20"

Unclear what this is..??? 

If it's an automatic with a 4-forward slap-shift..., then the task should be an easier swap being you're already auto.

If it's a stick shift.., go to the "EB" store sites. They list all items needed for a trannie swap.

In any case, there's usually dr. shaft length issues. And maybe cross-beam (T-case mount)  issues.

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
the 3 speed with overdrive is what I have in my 1967, it is a 4 speed manual with 4th gear being like .8 to 1 if I remember right, it is what some people call a "toploader"  it originally came out of a late 60's econoline van 2wd.  the bronco websites sell a kit to convert it to 4wd with a dana 20.  that one works great no plans to replace it.  my question was actually about another bronco that I just purchased its a 1973.  the 73 currently has the stock 3 speed and I am looking into putting a slop-o-matic into it, I found a c6 with whatever new process transfer case that came stock in a 1987 bronco in some local classifieds for $150, the guy just sent me a text back informing me that it is about 42 inches long.  that's about 6 inches longer than the stock 3 speed and dana 20 so I don't know if I want to deal with it or not.  I seen the bronco sites have kits to put the dana 20 on the c6 for a measly $500 or so , but they say driveline mods are still necessary.  so I guess my next question is....... will a stock early bronco c4 bolt in in place of the manual with no mods?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"will a stock early bronco c4 bolt in in place of the manual with no mods?"

YEP...!  But depends what you mean by "mods"..? 

Radiator lines, flexplate, adaptor shaft, kick-down rod, (& maybe carb.) etc., etc. needed.

Again the sites (like Wild Horses) list all the piecee-parts needed for the swap.

Bolts right up to the stock crossmember

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
cool I just don't want to cut and lengthen drive shafts, and have to buy adaptor kits.  was hoping that the 1987 setup would just go in.  I can weld anything I need for a cross member, lines a kick down, flex plate and small stuff is to be expected.

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
anyway sounds like im sticking with the manual for a while.  I don't want to spend the $$ on adapting something that dont need to be done.  like I say I was hoping the '87 setup would fit length wise.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I haven't been around in awhile so looking through some post and found this . I just got a 1974 that I am going too build . I too wanted too use that transfercase which is probably a borg and warner 1356 very strong T case as long as you put a new oil pump line in it , but I found a problem that pretty much put a whoa to that idea . From center line of the C4 in mine too the frame rail was something like 13 inches from center line of the 1356 to end is like 16 inches see the problem . I am using a 4r70W out of an explorer and wanted the 1356 because I don't think the little 20 is going too hold up too the motor Im building so I guess my next option it too use the trusty old 205 . If you find a way too get the 1356 in there without frame mods please share .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke