84 bronco 2 feels like the brake is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tspinks

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an '84 Bronco II 4 spd and I started having issues with it a few days ago.  When traveling from a stop the car feels like it has gone into gear but then it doesn't move, it feels just like it would if I had left the parking brake on (I did not).  After going from reverse to first a few times it started going (very slowly at first) then once I am moving the issue goes away.  Any ideas?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Do you hear a clunk when it starts moving OK?  It could be that your brakes are sticking and in serious need of service, especially the rear set.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
tspinks

tspinks

Reaction score
No clunk, it engages the gear then barely moves, and if I let the clutch out all the way the car will stall.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Unless you have rebuilt the rear drums lately, I would still check on the rear brakes, the hardware is probably corroded and not letting the shoes release properly. 

Do you use the emergency brake when parking? If so, the cable may be corroded inside and slow to release.

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Does it do this when the rig is cold as well?  Or is it just when everything is warmed up.?

Point being, I've seen similar symptoms with a bad rear diffentrial. As it warms up it binds & eventually locks.

Put rear up on Jack stands & try to rotate the wheels.

Blindtoe

Reaction score
Also try and bleed the brakes, similar happened to me, bleeding fixed the problem.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke