New owner Needing help... fuel smell, weird sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coalminerwillis

Reaction score
Hey everyone First I'm the new guy just got my first bronco its a 1995 4x4 351w  I am having an issue I am having a hard time tracking down. first I have had no issues with the bronco until now, I am having NO lack of power, no hesitation, no leaks. I got in the bronco the other day fired it up an I notice a strange noise when sitting in the truck coming from the passenger side floor board area seems to change its tone revving the engine the actual noise is coming from the engine. I got out and opened the hood an you can hear it towards the passenger side of the engine around intake area but I'm not sure its hard to find with a running engine. but to describe the sound almost like a whipping, puffing sound kind of like a belt issue but its not the belt weeded that out  and now when I drive and especially when I get on it I have a strong fuel odor have any of you had an issue like this ?

I kind of thought it might be a vacuum issue or maybe the EGR valve but the engine has not lost power or even have and issue just the noise.

any help would be appreciated thanks

IT DOSE NOT SEEM TO BE AN INTERNAL ENGINE ISSUE 

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo C,

Try to isolate noise w/ a mechanic's stethoscope, or a ~3' garden hose section.  Be wary of fans, belts, hot engine, etc.

Is check engine light on while driving?

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/?&pid=74587&mode=threaded

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

And Post em here according to:
KOEO
&
KOER          

Rohan

Reaction score
look at the egr valve line going under the upper intake. i had that sound and smell replace the tube there was crack in it.

Bronco90EB

Reaction score
Look at the "air injection check valve" located on the back of intake between engine and firewall. I had to replace on my 1993 F150 and the symptoms you describe sound similar. Good Luck.

Motorcraft CX1327 Air Injection Check Valve

by Motorcraft

4.5 out of 5 stars 2 customer reviews

Price: $47.54 & FREE Shipping. Details

Only 1 left in stock.

Want it Tuesday, Feb. 9? Order within 27 hrs 21 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

• Regulates the flow of substances
  • Superior service life
  • Resists abrasion and corrosion
  • Maximizes performance
  • Made from high-quality materials

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members