5.0 Swap / Wiring Harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JOHNS77

Reaction score
I found a complete 1992 Mustang 5.0 to put into my 77 Bronco.

Can I use the factory wiring harness from the mustang? Or do I have to buy an after market painless?

Which computer should I use A9L or A9P

And any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

mikeiam82

Reaction score
the www.bcbroncos.com website has lots of info about efi and what you need. Im doing the efi swap also and im going to try to make the stock mustang harness work. Long story short the husband of the secretary at my work builds hotrods and wiring is kinda his specialty so im going to get him to do it. Im also going to be installing an american autowire complete rewire kit. Its not necessary but its designed to work for fuel injection. 

I also got this website addy from a fellow bronco owner [SIZE=10pt]http://www.kolibar.com/. I guess you can send them your stock mustang harness and they will go through it and take the junk out that you dont need and send it back for half the cost of a painless or rjm harness.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]As for the computer, on the www.bcbroncos.com website under the fuel--->efi drop down menu there is a list of computers that will work. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]You have 2 options, speed density and mass air. Speed density uses a pre determined amount of fuel based on speed and comes in the earlier models 86-89 i think. Speed density will work just fine for a nice stock efi swap. The second is mass air which comes on the 88-92 and uses the mass air sensor in the intake tube to get air readings and it constantly adjusts air fuel mixture based on elevation and all that good stuff. This is the setup you want to use if you are going to build up your engine. Im using a A9L [/SIZE]mass air setup with a stock engine for now but i like the ability to build it up later and not have to look for the parts then. gt40 heads off and explorer would be sweet.

He also gave me this addy for driveshafts, [SIZE=10pt]http://www.4xshaft.com/[/SIZE].

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JOHNS77

JOHNS77

Reaction score
Thanks for the sites

It seems like the RJM harness is about 100 buck cheaper then most places I found.

I think I'm going to clan up the engine compartment and possibly paint and drop the engine in this weekend.

I'll keep posting pics of the progress.....along with many questions.

mikeiam82

Reaction score
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

This is a great site for figuring out tire size, gear ratios, and trans setups. You can put in the trans, transfercase, underdrive if you have one then put in tire size and gear ratio hit calculate and it shows rpms at given speeds, speeds given at rpms for each gear. Its a pretty sweet tool.

Seabronc

Reaction score
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

This is a great site for figuring out tire size, gear ratios, and trans setups. You can put in the trans, transfercase, underdrive if you have one then put in tire size and gear ratio hit calculate and it shows rpms at given speeds, speeds given at rpms for each gear. Its a pretty sweet tool.
Nice one :D/ Submit that one as a seperate post under the "how to" forum.

:)>-

OP
OP
JOHNS77

JOHNS77

Reaction score
I'm going to use this post to document and get help my 5.0 conversion on my 77. Im going to include as many pictures as I can.

We got the engine in, it was a snug fit. The Trickflow intake is bigger then the stock so I'm going to notch the brake bracket to leave room for movement.

Questions?

1. Can I find a newer downer car with for a fuel tank with a fuel pump already in the tank?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Don't know about donor veh. tanks, or the fit.

However, the EB suppliers have tanks with "pump-in-tank" or frame-rail mounted pumps. All a perfect fit & mounting hardware.

Toms.., Wild horses  to name a few.

69bronc347

Reaction score
the a9l computer is the sought after one by mustang owners, not for sure why though.. I would stay away from mustang cobra computers, as they are calibrated for 24 lb injector and are more difficult to calibrate air fuels with aftermarket mods.  on a side note if you are modifying the engine, computer only reads off the o2 sensor until about 3k, to tune afr's, you will need a wide band o2 setup and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, adjust the fuel pressure to get the correct afr's at high rpms and low rpm fuel will be tuned by the pcm.

genteca

Reaction score
Looks like that Kolibar Customs has some great prices for what he carries.
Sent my factory harness to Rick at Kolibar Kustoms and have it back. Took about 2 weeks like he said. Looks to be simple install. I would like to inform you that I have ordered from RJM with no luck. Never received parts ordered. Multiple e-mails and phone messages with no response.

Seabronc

Reaction score
 I would like to inform you that I have ordered from RJM with no luck. Never received parts ordered. Multiple e-mails and phone messages with no response.
Good to know. I'll stop recommending him for parts.  Has the money you sent been collected from your account?  If so, then I would go to the bank, file a complaint,  and let them take care of it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JOHNS77

JOHNS77

Reaction score
I went with the 23 gallon from Toms.

Im going to use braided stainless lines for my supply.

Ill be installing it as soon as I clean and paint the area under the tank.

Is anyone in the St. Louis area looking for a stock tank and a aux tank

Just for fun I attached a picture of my Brothers Blazer. The race is on to finish before him

9.jpg

OP
OP
JOHNS77

JOHNS77

Reaction score

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members