Gas Guage, Wipers, Radio all stopped working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martym

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask if you guys know where I should start....my 1988 Bronco II XLT gas gauge is pegged past Empty, my wipers dont work and the radio last power all within a few days of each other. First I noticed that the gas gauge would register in between full and empty if I filled up the tank, then after driving a few miles, it would drop past empty and the radio would lose power. this would happen intermittently for a few weeks but them the gas gauge stopped working and remains lower than empty even with a full tank, wipers dont work and radio will not turn on.

Any Idea where I should start looking for the fix? 

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
There should be a ground near the driver's left knee, on the bottom lip of the dash, check that one too.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I assume that everything else works and that the truck  is an 88 Bronco, correct?

:)>-

OP
OP
M

martym

Reaction score
I have a new battery, new battery cables and no visible corrosion.  I found that while the Bronco was on, I turned the ignition switch just a bit passed the On position...almost as if I was trying to start it again while it was running but not quite that far....and guess what, my fuel gauge, wipers and radio came back on!? I think I will try to replace the ignition switch unless there is some repair I can make to what I assume would be some electrical contacts in the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Marty,

IGNITION Switch Pin-Out Diagram & Continuity Testing in an 83
Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

http://broncozone.com/topic/7243-ignition-switch-adjustment-proceedure/

Also, hopefully recall this was done by you or a prev  owner via Ford; shows the need to see if it was replaced under recall to avoid an incident before more time expires.

Check On-Line @ Safety Recalls

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage

Note: Be advised that this system tracks safety and emission recalls for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. For more information on Ford Motor Company recalls or concerns you may be having with your vehicle, please contact your dealership directly.   

Recall, Ignition Switch, Short Circuit Defect info for 88-92 Fords On April 25, 1996 Ford Motor Company announced the recall of approximately nine million cars, trucks and minivans that may be equipped with a faulty ignition switch that may be responsible for causing hundreds of fires. In no case has any death or serious injury resulted from these fires. The recall covers 1988-93 models sold in both the U.S. and Canada that Ford says, "In a very small number of vehicles, the ignition switch could cause an internal short circuit, creating the potential for overheating, smoke and possibly fire in the steering column of the vehicle." The faulty ignitions switches can cause a short circuit that may lead to a fire whether the vehicle is turned on or off.

The following models are subject to the recall:

• 1988-89 Ford Crown Victoria
  • 1988-90 Ford ******
  • 1988-92 Ford Mustang including some early 1993 models
  • 1988-92 Ford Thunderbird including some early 1993 models
  • 1988-92 Ford Tempo including some early 1993 models
  • 1988-91 Ford Aerostar
  • 1988-91 Ford Bronco
  • 1988-91 Ford F-Series Pickup
  • 1988-89 Lincoln Town Car
  • 1988-92 Mercury Cougar including some early 1993 models
  • 1988-92 Mercury Topaz including some early 1993 models
The Ford Explorer and Taurus, and the Mercury Sable models are NOT included in the recall because they did not use the faulty ignition switch.

Source: by AUTOPEDIA™

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo