92 wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samadamsjager

Reaction score
I was driving down the road bronco shut off at a stop sign wouldn't start changed the fuel relay, inertia switch, fuel pump, and checked and changed bad fuses under the dash. Now my fuel pump comes on sometimes when it does come on  stays on only shuts off  when i try to start it and it wont start no matter what i have tried. any suggestions would be great thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
Try reading the codes,  they may point you right to the problem.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
You can borrow a code reader from a store like Autozone.  It will read all stored codes.  No need to start the truck.

:)>-

Here are some procedures you can try

1992 Ignition TblSht.jpg

1992 Ignition TblSht 002.jpg

1992 Start Diagram.jpg

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
With a 1992, you can pull codes with a paperclip, you don't need a voltmeter.

Does your CEL come on when you turn the key to ON? It should.

Does it go off while you are cranking the engine? It should. If not, then your EEC may not be getting a PIP signal (that would explain why the fuel pump does not continue to run while cranking the engine)

Pulling codes is definitely a good place to start troubleshooting.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I was driving down the road bronco shut off at a stop sign wouldn't start changed the fuel relay, inertia switch, fuel pump, and checked and changed bad fuses under the dash. Now my fuel pump comes on sometimes when it does come on  stays on only shuts off  when i try to start it and it wont start no matter what i have tried. any suggestions would be great thanks
Just to be clear... when you turn the key to ON, the fuel pump runs, and runs, and runs, unless you turn the key to START?

OP
OP
S

samadamsjager

Reaction score
yes it stays on and contunes to run and run until i try to start it also it only comes on when i have a battery charger on it even with a new battery it wont come on unless it has a charger on it charging. 

How do you read codes with a paper clip?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Sam,

Get yourself one of those "Samadams", and sit down and read the thread by in the link I posted above. ( thanks BroncoJoe) .

And you can use a test light in lieu of a voltmeter. 

You need to start with a check of codes as that is the starting point of diagnosing any problem that is engine management related.

There are many experienced minds on this forum, but in order to guide you on a correct path there has to be an accounting of known and correct information.

Your problem could be caused by a great number of things, and we have no idea on these older vehicles if the previous owner hadn't cobbled up something in the wiring!

The idea that someone could just tell you, "oh change the canutey valve, that will fix it" isn't realistic. 

Diagnosis of a problem is methodical, and often time consuming. But!!! it is the path of least resistence when finding a cause of a problem. 

So, relax, get your beverage, open that thread, and let's start to get to the root of your problem.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Did you put the battery in backwards?

The positive cable goes to the fender mounted starter solenoid.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You may have more than one issue going on at the same time, otherwise I can't explain your symptoms.

The fact that the pumps run and run is due to the fuel pump relay's coil side being grounded. That is normally grounded by the PCM for a couple of seconds, and then as long as it sees a PIP signal. Either you have a short to ground in the wire that the PCM uses to ground the Fuel pump relay or your PCM is *****.

On the other hand, it doesn't explain WHY the pump stops running when you go to START. That would point to a possible ignition switch problem. That however would not explain why it continues to run when in the ON position.

You may find some helpful information in this thread.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202246

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module (the engine's computer)

In a 1992 they probably still called it EEC (I don't know what it stood for, probably something like Electronic Engine Control module) still... the engine's computer)

PIP I think stands for Profile Ignition Pickup signal

Did you read through the thread I linked to above?

OP
OP
S

samadamsjager

Reaction score
yeah the PCM was shot swaped it and we are golden

See you on the trail thanks fer all your help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo SAM,

Until you can ger Codes read;

Pump Runs w/Ignition Switch Off; "...If it stays running with the truck off, then most likely you have a bad fuel pump relay; EEC Relay hanging closed; If the EEC relay goes bad, it could be sending the signal to the fuel pump relay to turn the fuel pump on; One easy test for this is: Without the key in ignition, bump the starter over @ the starter relay using a screwdriver. If it is the EEC relay, the truck will start without the key in the ignition..."

MIESK5 NOTE; from Ford EVTM; The Control Module (PCM) runs the pump{s} for one second when it receives an ignition- on signal. It also runs the pumps as long as it receives a PIP signal from the Hall-effect devices, it continues pump operation even after the key is released from START. If the PIP signals fall below 120RPM, the control module cuts off the signal to the fuel pump relay or the integrated relay control module. The pump will also run when the terminals of the fuel pump test connector are jumped. the Control module signals the pump when it receives a CRANK signal, and when the Control module gets PIP signals that the engine is running. the pump does not run if the PIP indicates the engine is not running even with ignition ON {except for that first one second}.
Source: by sackman9975 (Scott), Redwagon & miesk5

As my pal, BroncoJoe19 and a pal of many others advised;  Ign Switch needs to be tested;

Switch Pin-Out Diagram & Continuity Testing (Logic Tables in 87-91 (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)
Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=6659

'92-96
B1, B2, B3, B4, B5 - Y
GND - Bk
Accy1 - Bk/LG
Accy2 - Gy/Y (connected externally to A3)
Accy3 - Gy/Y (connected externally to A2)
Accy4 - Gy/Y
Ign1 - R/LG
Ign2 - not used
Start - R/LB
Proof1 - Bk/LB (diesel)
Proof2 - T/LG.

============

Fuel System SYSTEM INTEGRITY CHECK

• Visually inspect the complete fuel delivery system, including fuel tank lines, reservoir, filter, pumps, injectors, pressure regulator, battery, electrical lines and connectors for leakage, looseness, cracks, pinching, kinking, corrosion, grounding, abrasion, or other damage caused by accident, collision, assembly or usage.
  • Verify vehicle has followed maintenance scheduling.
  • Run self-test to verify pass code. If fuel related DTCs are present, repair them first. For DTC 141, continue with this procedure.
  • Verify IFS switch set.
  • Verify that the battery is fully charged.
  • Check for sufficient fuel in the fuel tank.

=========
btw, Grounding the FP lead at the DLC will allow the pump to run continuously with the ignition switch on.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke