Fuel Pump not pumping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sulphurshooter

Reaction score
I have a 1990 model with a 1985 302 5.0 litre in it. When I bought it, the guy just replaced the fuel pump and mounted it next to the motor. After a few times of me starting it with no problems, it stopped starting. it would start for maybe 2 seconds and die. We re-wired it and it started right up. We killed it and now it will not start. The fuel pump works but it seems like it can't pull gas all the way from the tank. What is the best thing to do? Also, how do I wire the pump to start only when the ignition is on?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Shooter, Welcome,

Sounds like the pump is loosing it's prime.  Install a checkvalve between the tank and the pump. Then wire with a relay. I'd use #12 wire for ground and power from the relay to pump, and source to relay.  # 16 wire should be good to activate the relay.

You could tap the 12v+ wire at the coil, as that will be on only when the ignition is on. be sure to have inline fuses in both circuits.  A better idea would find an extra spade in the fuse box that is (hot in run) and use that as the relay activate wire.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

OP
OP
S

sulphurshooter

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! Haven't had a chance to work on it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes...Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22