Sitting for 10 yrs cleaning gas tanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
1973 Bronco.....  I am planning on dropping both tanks out and cleaning them out.  What would you suggest as a solvent?  Acetone, paint thinner?  There is no gas in the tanks right now and I most likely won't put any in until we check the fuel system completely.....  

Any good suggestions for check for leaks in the fuel lines? 

Anyone installed one of the electric tank switches that is driven off the gauge selector switch?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"I am planning on dropping both tanks out and cleaning them out. What would you suggest as a solvent?"

What works best is muratic acid but.., it can be dangerous. 50/50 acid & water.

A better way is take them to your local radiator shop & boil them out for a small fee.

Be advised.., cleaning will expose any pin-holes that occur fr. sitting with moisture inside the tank.

Meaning inspect closely B4 re-installing.

"suggestions for check for leaks in the fuel lines?"

Most of the factory main lines are/were a black plastic. This stuff is bullet proof & lasts 100 yrs.

If not left open & exposed.., you can clean them out with a blast of air.., or even squirt water thru & then dry

with air.

"Anyone installed one of the electric tank switches that is driven off the gauge selector switch?"

I have the elect. switch over valve but, it's seperate from the dash gauge switch.

Either way works fine.., just a bit more wiring to hook it all up to the dash switch.

I'm a "filter freak" I have filters B4 & after the elect. switch/valve..,  1 B4 the fuel pump & 1 after.

They're all "see-thru" ..!  And of course all new stubby rubber attach point hoses.

Safe to say I don't trust the fuel out there these days.... :-B

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
New tanks are not expensive and in the long run a much better option than trying to clean and seal an old one.

Good luck,

:)>-

Bloodwulf

Reaction score
Hey Genthree,

Im working on a 75 and when I pulled my rear tank off, It had rusted clean through by the top left bracket.

2013-02-24 16.08.55.jpg

Ill be replacing it with this one...

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Sherman_Tank_23_Gallon

The stock tank being 13 gal means LOTS of fill ups and not much range. Increasing it to a 23 makes a lot of sense. I also chose this tank because if I decide to add a body lift kit later then I can simply loosen the bolts on the track and slide it up. I read the installation PDF on the website and its a very straight forward install.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/rearmain-fuel-tank-23-gallon-wstraps-sending-unit-66-77-ford-bronco-new was the least expensive 23 gal tank I found but you can find the stock style tanks for under $200.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Dropped both tanks out.  Main had lots of crap in it, pickup filter was plugged and float was gone....  Drained, rinsed, pea gravel, shake, vacuum, rinse, sand and paint.   Going back in today.

Aux tank is a little different story,  Drive to Tom's Broncos, hand over the AMEX, go home install new kit.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Sorry,  American Express....  Toms bronco's has the tank, sender unit and hose all in one kit.  I think that is the route I am going to go, once we get it running correctly.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Time for an update....

Got it running awesome!!!  Started work on electrical.....  Month later, done with electrical.  Had a cocktail, started sanding on the body.  Three months later, still working on body.  Windshield frame removed, passenger floor removed, all bolted-on parts removed and stripped.  Getting close to putting it back together.

I am going to "roll in" a bedliner type paint/material into the tub.  I have some patching to do on the tailgate, replace the windshield frame, install the roll bar (Santa brought it to my son) then start shooting primer.

I have the grill off, that is a PITA to remove/strip/sand so I am going to prime it REAL GOOD.  Hopefully, the last time it is ever off.  Rattle canned the engine compartment to get rid of the stock "baby ****" yellow.

Having a BLAST!!!

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
put a vinyle  floor kit in with sound deadening. So you can wipe it out and it will still be quiet.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Body tub is all sanded.  Doors, grill, windshield, tailgate removed and repaired.  Floor pans replaced.  All body defects bondo'ed and sanded.  Pushing it out of the garage this weekend to pressure wash and scrub.   Rolling back in the garage for paint...   Primer inside and out.  Rustoleum truck bed paint on the interior.  Red exterior with black accents.....

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Here are the update pics....  As you can tell, both sides of floor pans have had to come out.  Holes from chrome are patched and ready for paint.  I pushed it out this weekend and cleaned the garage.  Will weld in the drivers side pan this weekend.  Clean out the garage again and start laying down primer.  I am going to build a PVC and visqueen garage inside of the garage to keep overspray at a minimum and shoot away.  I am sure my wife won't mind :)) ...

Once I get the primer on, I will weld up the rollcage (thank you Santa) and paint the interior.  Then paint the tub, and body.  Move it out of the garage and paint the rest of the body parts....

You can tell from the pics I had quite a bit of work on the tailgate, which turned out pretty well for my first attempt at welding.....

Still having a BLAST!!!  Running out of money!!!!!

Bully-  I was in Vegas last weekend and I was going to drop you a line, but got too busy with soccer stuff....  Maybe next time....

IMG_00000362.jpg

IMG_00000363.jpg

IMG_00000416.jpg

IMG_00000422.jpg

IMG_00000428.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Seabronc

Reaction score
Looks like it is coming together.

Before you paint that cleaned up surface, use a product like Picklex http://picklex20.com/store/ to **** any micro-rust.  Follow the instructions, one bottle will be enough to treat the whole surface of the truck if you follow instructions.  There are other products and you can find them by doing a Google search on, "flash rust".  If you don't **** any micro-rust it will eventually work it's way through the paint job.  Believe me, even if you can't see it there is rust on the surface. 

Good luck,

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
BTW .., for the primer work.., you really don't need the plastic booth.

I did a couple vehicles outside (primer & paint coat) on the RV parking side of my house.

Started at 4:00 A.M. washing down the area then painted around 5:00 A.M.  No wind, no mess, worked great.

Point being you'll prob. prime, sand, prime, sand, spot prime, etc. several times & that plastic booth will

be in your way for other projects all that time.

----Of course, this is all weather permitting. 

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
I will take it under advisement....  I am resistant only due to the fact that I don't think that my wife/CFO won't agree with the whole "fixer upper" in view of the public concept...  At least if it's in the garage I can shut the door....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar