Bronco Running rough getting many codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
Hi Trying to get the horse running good again, experiencing rough idle / at low rpms the engine sounds like it is missing. low end power is not there ihave a rebuilt 302 advanced the timing and 411 gears.

These are the codes I am getting

Also I have just replaced the egr and the sensor on it, smog pump was deleted a while back there are a green and yellow vacuum  lines are not connected and just sitting behind the intake Im guessing they were to the smogpump? should i just plug the lines?

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
Correction: There is a pink and yellow vacuum line behind the intake not connected to anything and a open tube behind the intake im guessing this was the pipe that went to the smog pump? I unplugged the tab and tad sensor and noticed no difference im guessing they need vacuum to operate?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo B,

Some Quick Answers;

tab and tad sensor control Vacuum - yes need vacuum circuit intact & operating 

open tube behind the intake im guessing this was the pipe that went to the smog pump - yes, from pump through (TAD & TAB), Combination AIR Diverter Valve and AIR Bypass Valve (mounted behind Intake), check valves to catalytic converter

pink and yellow vacuum line - see Vacuum Line Acronyms & Color Codes Below.

====

Air Pump (smog pump) Operational Description & pic;

air-pump-bottom.jpg

This pumps fresh air into the exhaust system, to burn left over hydrocarbons, lowering emissions. The computer uses 2 Solenoids (TAB & TAD) to control where the air flows depending on engine operation. Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) shunts air to the atmosphere, when no air is needed. When air is needed it sends air to the second valve TAD. Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) diverts air either to the exhaust manifold, or directly to catalytic converter. MIESK5 NOTE; If da Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) is Below 50 degrees F, then TAB is grounded & sends air to atmosphere; If Between 50 and 190 Degrees F, Bypass Valve sends air to Diverter and to Manifold; If Over 190 Degrees F, it is in closed loop & Air goes to Catalytic Converter; Bypass when at idle/Wide Open Throttle (WOT), and with failing Oxygen Sensor. The fastest way to see if vehicle is in open loop is to see where the air is going; to Catalytic Converter, it is in Closed Loop; to Atmosphere or Manifold it is in Closed Loop, provided the thermactor system is working
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at fordfuelinjection.com My link

Secondary Air Injection system consists of:

Air Pump (smog pump) with air silencer/filter, belt-driven

Combination AIR Diverter Valve (Marked as "D") and AIR Bypass Valve  (Marked as "B") in diagram below;(mounted behind Intake)

AIR Bypass solenoids; (mounted next to Coil)

Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid (TAB, or also called AIRB & AM1)

Thermactor Air Diverter Solenoid (TAD, AIRD, AM2);

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) & vacuum hoses.

secondaryair.jpg

by Steve

The PCM requires ECT, IAT and rpm inputs to initiate Secondary Air Injection operation.

The PCM provides one or more signals that enable one or more AIR Bypass solenoids (TAD & TAB).

The AIR Bypass solenoids control  Combination AIR Bypass Valve and/or AIR Bypass Diverter Valve in order to route secondary air depending upon the specific configuration.

Thermactor Check Valves that often rust out; check valves prevent exhaust gases from backing up into the Thermactor system. This valve is especially important in the event of drive belt failure and also during deceleration

aircheckvalve.jpg by Steve

Behind the intake near firewall, you have a combination bypass & diverter VALVE that is controlled with VACUUM (as you know with that loose hose you found)

img_0333.jpg

by Malcom (Sixlitre)

Diagram of a typical 5.0 system

secondaryair50l.jpg

Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid (TAB, or also called AIRB & AM1); "...is controlled by the EEC-IV computer and provides vacuum to the Air Bypass/Air Control Valve. With vacuum present, air flows through the secondary air injection system. With no vacuum, the air from the air pump is dumped to the atmosphere. Essentially, this turns the secondary air injection system on or off. The secondary air injection system adds air to the catalytic converter to improve the burning of NOx gases. This reduces emissions..."
Source: by Ted F at tedfelix.com

Thermactor Air Diverter Solenoid (TAD, AIRD, AM2); "...is controlled by the EEC-IV computer and provides vacuum to the Air Bypass/Air Control Valve. With vacuum present, air flows to the exhaust manifold. With no vacuum, air flows from the air pump to the catalyst..."
Source: by Ted F at tedfelix.com

If you don't have a vac diagram on to of radiator, get a copy via;
Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal, Vacuum Diagrams & Calibration Parts List for 88 & UP.
On-Line for Free at Ford.
Click "Quick Guides" in left panel;
Scroll to & CLICK VECI Labels "Provides Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and a related calibration parts list."
Enter applicable info (need to know your Calibration number from your B-pillar sticker).
Vacuum Diagram is the same as the one on the core support or hood or air filter cover.
Source: by Ford @ http://www.motorcraftservice.com

Vacuum Line Acronyms & Color Codes;

EMISSION: Red = Main vacuum;

Green = EGR function;

Orange = Heat control Valve (exhaust & intake) (AKA heat riser but more complex);

Yellow = from the TAD Solenoid (driver's side Forward Solenoid) to the TAD (Diverter) Valve part of combination valve located at the rear of the Intake Manifold (Distributor Advance in Carbureted Engines);

White = EGR vacuum (source);

Black = Mainly used for the Evaporative emissions control;

Black = Thermactor ACV or Diverter valve; Blue = Throttle Kicker control;

Pink = from the TAB Solenoid (driver's side rear solenoid) to the bottom of the Thermactor Air Bypass Valve  part of combination valve located at the rear of the Intake Manifold

ACV (Air Control Valve) is the TAD (Thermactor Air Diverter) Valve (AIR Bypass (AIRB) and AIR Diverter (AIRD) valve combinations); MAN VAC is Manifold Vacuum; FPR is Fuel Pressure Regulator; EGR is Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Valve SOL V: Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoid (SOL V) (AIRD) & Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) Solenoid; ; EVR is EGR Vacuum Regulator; VRESER is the Vacuum Reservoir Can (Tank);   READ & SEE MORE

by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W), Seattle FSB, Steve & & miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

In the CALIBRATION PARTS LIST, you'll see all of the above components, such as;

VALVE ASSY., (Thermactor Control) E9AE 9F491-AA-  this is the  combination bypass & diverter VALVE

VALVE ASSY., (Thermactor Air Control Solenoid Vacuum) E7TE 9H465-BA this is the Thermactor Air Bypass Solenoid (TAB, or also called AIRB & AM1) & Thermactor Air Diverter Solenoid (TAD, AIRD, AM2);

The solenoids are identical and interchangeable

Test; Key off. Disconnect both TAB & TAD solenoid connectors and measure both solenoid resistances. each resistance should be between 50 and 100 ohms. Visually inspect vacuum lines for disconnects.

VALVE ASSY., (Thermactor Air Control Solenoid Vacuum)

VALVE ASSY., (Thermactor Check -- Hose ****** One
End-Press In Tube Other End -- Downstream)

VALVE ASSY., (Thermactor Check -- 3/4-14 Thread One End-Hose ****** One End -- Upstream)

Also, other Components/systems require proper vacuum to operate; I have these in my Vacuum Leak Tests here @ http://broncozone.com/topic/22770-low-idle/

Vacuum Reading; "...The vacuum gauge should show 18-22 in-Hg @ idle, and maintain a steady needle. Rev it up to ~2500 rpm, hold it steady, and you should see the needle drop, then slowly increase to a level close to the idle reading (though slightly lower is normal)..."
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve)

I'll post this for now; will bbl with more info & pics on the DTCs

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

DTC 311 Thermactor air system inoperable. "...The computer determined that for some reason the fresh air injection from the Thermactor system was not present. There are several components that make up this system. The initial component is the smog pump. The first checks I would make are the hoses and plumbing from the smog pump back to the diverter valve (behind the pass. cylinder head) and then on to the crossover pipe at the back of the heads and down to the catalytic converter. The check valves that are at the center of the cross over pipe and the top of the metal tube from the cat are often the culprits as they can and do snap in half as the get old. If the plumbing looks to be in good order we can discuss the slightly more complicated aspects of the system. The diverter valve also has two vacuum lines running to it. Make certain they are in place and intact. (Computer needs to be able to control the flow of fresh air by the Thermactor system)..."
Source: by greystreak92 (Joe B) at fte DTC 311, 312, 313 & 314; "...311 and 314 indicate the Secondary Air Injection system is inoperative. DTC 312 indicates that Secondary Air is misdirected. DTC 313 indicates that Secondary Air is not being bypassed when requested. Possible causes: Visually inspect vacuum lines for disconnects in the AIR system. Visually inspect for proper vacuum line routing. Refer to VECI decal. Visually inspect Air Pump for broken or loose Air Pump Belt. Refer to Section 13A for adjustment/replacement..." READ MUCH MORE
Source: by Jim

DTC 116 Engine coolant temp. higher or lower than expected Possible causes: Low coolant level (ECT), Ambient temperature below 10°C (50°F) (IAT), Faulty harness connector, Faulty sensor
Source: by fordbronco1995 ("JUICE") at FSB DTC 116 to 118 ECT Troubleshooting & Possible Causes; "...The ECT sensor is a thermistor, basically a resistor that changes voltage accordingly to temperature changes. It provides a reading that's used by the EEC to change fuel delivery at engine startup to reduce emissions and monitors the temperature of the engine. If you see some rust in it clean it by sanding the surface using a fine grit sandpaper, Also check the connector and wiring..."
Source: by allfordmustangs.com
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

Before you start blaming the engine coolant temperature sensor and replacing it make sure the rest of the coolant system is in good condition. All of the following items will affect the ECT:

*Coolant level
*Radiator Fan
*Water Pump
*Water Pump and Fan Belts
*Thermostat
*Base Timing
*Engines general condition
*Harness and wire general condition

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermal transistor, which means it allows less electricity to pass through the sensor the warmer it gets. The ECT receives the �Signal Return� voltage from the EEC, then allows a certain amount to return back to the EEC. Because the ECT is in direct contact with the engine coolant flow it changes resistance in response to the temperature of that coolant.

see more @ http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28 by Ryan M (Fireguy50)

Location pic; ECT & Temperature Gauge Sending Unit; (lower intake manifold)
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/265237/thumbnail/gt40-lower-intake.jpg (http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/media/265237)
Source: by Gacknar
DTC 21, 51, 61 or 116, 117, 118 "...Failure in either the circuit or temperature sensor will show code 21, 51, 61 or 116, 117, 118.Unplug the harness connector. First, check the signal voltage at the connector with the key on, engine off. Should be approximately 5.0v. Then, check the resistance of the sensor cold. Should be between 58,750 to 40,500 ohms. Plug in the harness connector and warm up the engine to normal operating temperature. Then, unplug and check the resistance of the sensor hot. Should be 3,600 to 1,840 ohms...'
Source: by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB

==========

654 - TD1 KEY ON ENGINE OFF DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) 67/634, 522 AND 654:
CHECK MANUAL LEVER POSITION (MLP) SENSOR ALIGNMENT

This is for a 94, but similar

Excerpts;

DTCs 522 and 654 indicate the gear selector was not in Park during Self-Test.

Possible causes:

• Misadjusted linkage.
  • Open or short in harness circuits.
  • Damaged MLP sensor.
  • Damaged PCM.

===========

DTC 212 - Ignition module circuit failure-SPOUT circuit grounded; Check to see if the spout connector is good by running a piece of wire where the connector is supposed to go. If that doesn't help any try checking the wiring all the way untill it goes into the connectors.
Source: by NoSlow5oh

DTC 212 indicates a loss of IDM input to the PCM; "...Open harness circuit. Shorted harness circuit. Damaged Ignition Control Module (ICM). Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM)..." READ MORE
Source: by Jim

DTC 212; "...IDM is a feedback signal generated by the ignition system and is monitored at pin #4 of the ECM. Its purpose is to diagnose missed ignition primary pulses at the time the ECM commands the Spout signal to fire the coil. Since it is used solely for diagnostic purposes, if this circuit is not operating properly, it will not affect vehicle driveability; & by Seattle FSB- The Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) signal is a diagnostic signal for the PCM to to verify a coil firing for each PIP signal. If an erratic or missing IDM signal is received, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC 212) is set. An occasional IDM signal may not affect drivability, but can still throw a trouble code. As SigEpBlue has stated, check for an intermittent ground on the spOUT and/or IDM circuit. Also, ensure that you have the correct Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it is wired correctly to the PCM..."
Source: by SMP via SigEpBlue (Steve) & by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB)

========

DTC 327; "...It's not that the engine problem causes the transmission problem, it's just that engine problems can easily be mistaken for transmission problems. If you have a shudder under load it could be a problem with the converter clutch, or it could be due to a problem with the EGR system causing the engine to misfire under load. If the converter clutch is unlocked and slipping the converter slippage can mask the misfire, and when the converter locks the misfire is noticable because the converter slip is gone. I would definitely take care of the EGR system first since it can cause misfires, and is likely to be much less expensive to repair than a transmission problem..." Page 2
Source: by Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC becontrols.com

DTC 328, 327 or 337 Troubleshooting; Continuous Memory DTC 328 or 327 indicates the EGR valve was closed further than normal or EVP sensor or circuit has failed with an intermittent low voltage sometime during vehicle operation. Continuous Memory DTC 337 indicates the EVP signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was above the maximum Self-Test limit sometime during vehicle operation. Possible causes: Poor continuity in EVP harness or connectors. Intermittent open or short in EVP sensor or harness. Damaged EVP sensor..." READ MORE
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve)

===

232 -  after making repairs mentioned for other Codes; re-test for Codes bec I can not attribute this 232 to 95 Broncos

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
Thanks man you are a guru! Lol

Should I close the open pipe behind my intake? I don't plan on reinstalling the smog pump as I don't have it anymore. Also there is a black connecter behind my intake that is not plugged into anything I can't see anything behind there so I don't know where it goes. Any idea whats it to?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo B,

yw!

Nah, I just learned from what others have done and provided to me through da years.

re your Qs;

Should I close the open pipe behind my intake?

Yes, may as well to keep it relatively clean for possible future use.

====

there is a black connecter behind my intake that is not plugged into anything I can't see anything behind there so I don't know where it goes. Any idea whats it to?

Can you tell ushow many pins are in that connector?
As well as what color wires if it is not one of the huge conns with 40 to 120 pins

;

and can you snap a pic or 3 and save to your PC; then open this topic up, click on  "More Reply Options" below reply panel

Bottom Left,below reply box @

Attach Files
click:

Choose Files

in pop-up find the pic

right click and file name will appear in File Name box,

click Open

file will appear as a thumbnail below reply box

at right side on file name click on Add to Post

It will appear where your cursor is placed as a thumbnail size; to view full siaze, I prefer opening it in another window

This may help; sim to your year exc for optional eq and OBD II stuff
CONNECTOR Locations in a 96, from 96 FORD EVTM;
(note that all are shown, I did not skip any)
C101 LH side of engine compartment, side of wheel well, Terminal: 42
C102 Near LH frame rail, below driver floor pan, Terminal: 02
C103 LH side of engine compartment, top of wheel well, Terminal: 16 Color: BK
C106 RH rear of engine compartment, near blower motor (B1)Terminal: 04, Color: BK
C107 RH side of engine compartment,Terminal: 08
C109 LH side of engine compartment, top of wheel well (F6), Terminal: 08
C112 LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A10),Terminal: 04
C115 Center front of engine, on timing chain cover (A4), Terminal: 02
C116 Lower RH side of engine, on starter motor solenoid (A1),Terminal: 01
C117, Manual, Below center of vehicle, near LH rear of transmission (C10),Terminal: 04,Color: GY
C119 LH front corner of engine compartment on 4WABS control module (E10),Terminal: 40
C120 LH side of engine compartment on 4WABS data link connector (A8), Terminal: 06, Color: R, 4WABS Data Link Connector
C121 LH side of engine compartment on 4WABS hydraulic unit (D10), Terminal: 08
C122 LH side of engine compartment on 4WABS pump motor (F10), Terminal: 04
C123 At LH front wheel, on left front wheel 4WABS sensor (B10), Terminal: 0
C124 At RH front wheel, on right front wheel 4WABS sensor (C1), Terminal: 02
C126 LH side of engine compartment, on A/C high pressure cut out switch (A4), Terminal: 04, Color: BK
C129 RH rear of engine compartment, on heater blower plenum, Terminal: 02
C130 Top center of safety wall, on mass air flow (MAF) sensor (D10),Terminal: 04 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
C131 RH front of engine compartment, on ambient temperature sensor (F7),Terminal: 0
C135 Lower LH rear of engine, on engine oil pressure switch (A3), Terminal: 01, Color: BK
C139 RH front of engine compartment, behind battery (C1),Terminal: 04, Color: BK
C150 Top LH front of engine, on coolant temperature sensor (F9),Terminal: 01
C151 Top LH side of safety wall, on windshield wiper motor (A5),Terminal: 06, Color: GY Windshield Wiper Motor
C152 LH side of engine compartment, near brake master cylinder (A10), Terminal: 10, Color: GY Speed Control Servo/Amplifier Assembly
C153 RH front of engine, on generator/voltage regulator (F5),Terminal: 01
C154 RH front of engine, on generator/voltage regulator (F5), Terminal: 03, Color: BK
C161, Automatic, Front of transfer case, near 4x4 hi/low indicator switch (F4),Terminal: 02, Color: BK
C161, Manual Front of transfer case, near 4x4 hi/low indicator switch (B10), Terminal: 02, Color: BK
C162 RH rear of engine compartment, on A/C clutch cycling pressure switch (A2), Terminal: 03, Color: GY
C163 LH front of engine, on A/C clutch field coil (F5), Terminal: 02, Color: BK
C164 Top center front of engine, on intake air temperature (IAT) sensor (D10),Terminal: 02, Color: BK
C166 Top LH side of transmission, on backup lamp switch (B10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C168 RH side of safety wall, near blower motor (B1) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C169 RH side of safety wall, on blower motor resistor (A1) Terminal: 04 Color: W
C170 LH rear of engine compartment, on brake fluid level switch (A8) Terminal: 03 Color: GY
C170 LH rear of engine compartment, on brake fluid level switch (A8) Terminal: 03 Color: GY
C177, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module, with DRL Front LH side of lower radiator support, on daytime running lamps (DRL) Module (E10) Terminal: 08 Color: BK
C177, without DRL Front LH side of lower radiator support, on daytime running lamps (DRL) jumper (F9) Terminal: 08 Color: BK
C178 Distributor Top center front of engine, near distributor (F8) Terminal: 08
C180 Top LH side of engine, on EGR control solenoid (A6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C182 Top RH front of engine, on delta pressure feedback EGR (DPFE) Sensor (D1) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C183 Center front of engine, on engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (F4) Terminal: 02 Color: BR
C185, 5.0L Powertrain Control Module (PCM) LH side of safety wall, on powertrain control module (PCM) (C10) Terminal: 104 Color: GY
C185, 5.8L Powertrain Control Module (PCM) LH side of safety wall, on powertrain control module (PCM) (C10) Terminal: 104 Color: GY
C190 Top RH front of engine, on fuel injector #1 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C191 Top RH side of engine, on fuel injector #2 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C191 Top RH side of engine, on fuel injector #2 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C192 Top RH side of engine, on fuel injector #3 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C193 Top RH rear of engine, on fuel injector #4 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C194 Top LH front of engine, on fuel injector #5 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C195 Top LH side of engine, on fuel injector #6 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C196 Top LH side of engine, on fuel injector #7 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: B
C197 Top LH rear of engine, on fuel injector #8 (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C200 Behind LH cowl panel (A2) Terminal: 08 Color: GY In-Line
C201 Data Link Connector (DLC) Behind lower RH side of I/P, below glove compartment (E1) Terminal: 16
C202 LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A8) Terminal: 7 In-Line
C203 Behind RH cowl panel (A5) Terminal: 06 Color: BR
C204 Behind lower center of I/P, near RH side of ashtray assembly (F3) Terminal: 04 Color: BK
C205 LH rear of engine compartment, in safety wall (A7) Terminal: 24 In-Line
C206 At base of LH "A" pillar (A1) Terminal: 10 In-Line
C207 Behind lower LH side of I/P, on fuse panel (D10) Terminal: 01 Color: W
C209 Behind RH cowl panel (F8) Terminal: 16 Color: BK In-Line
C210 Behind lower center of I/P, on trailer electronic brake control unit (F2) Terminal: 06 Color: G In-Line
C211 Radio, with Premium Sound, Behind center of I/P, on radio (A4) Terminal: 08
C212 Premium Sound Amplifier, Behind center of I/P, on premium sound amplifier (A5) Terminal: 14
C213 Behind RH cowl panel (F7) Terminal: 08 In-Line
C214 Behind LH cowl panel (E1) Terminal: 08 Color: G In-Line
C217 Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor, Behind LH side of I/P, on air bag diagnostic monitor (F3) Terminal: 12 Color: GY
C218 Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor, Behind LH side of I/P, on air bag diagnostic monitor (F3) Terminal: 12 Color: BK
C219 Speed Control/Horn Switch Assembly, Lower steering column, to speed control/horn switch assembly (F8) Terminal: 10 Color: GY
C220 Transfer Case Assembly, Below center of vehicle, near transfer case assembly (F5) Terminal: 10 Color: BK
C221 Electronic Shift Control Module, Behind RH cowl panel, on electronic shift control module (F6) Terminal: 08 Color: W
C222 Electronic Shift Control Module, Behind RH cowl panel, near electronic shift control module (F6) Terminal: 08 Color: GY
C223 Electronic Shift Control Module, Behind RH cowl panel, on electronic shift control module (F6) Terminal: 05 Color: BR
C224 Wiper Control Module, Behind RH side of I/P, on wiper control module (C1) Terminal: 14
C226 In steering column, on clockspring assembly (A7) Terminal: 03
C227 Top of steering column, on steering column air bag (A8) Terminal: 03
C228 Behind RH cowl panel (A5) Terminal: 08 Color: GY In-Line
C229 Behind LH cowl panel (C1) Terminal: 16 Color: GY In-Line
C230 Multi-Function Switch, Top of steering column, on multi-function switch (B10) Terminal: 07
C231 Multi-Function Switch, Top of steering column, on multi-function switch (B10) Terminal: 1o Color: GY
C232 Behind lower RH side of I/P, below glove compartment (E1) Terminal: 01 Color: BR
C234 Behind lower center of I/P, on auxiliary power socket (F6) Terminal: 01 Color: BR
C236 In steering column, on shift lock actuator (A6) Terminal: 03
C240 Remote/Keyless Entry Module, Behind LH side of I/P, on remote keyless entry module (B10)Terminal: 13
C241 Remote/Keyless Entry Module, Behind LH side of I/P, on remote keyless entry module (B10) Terminal: 16
C242 Remote/Keyless Entry Module, Behind LH side of I/P, on remote keyless entry module (B10) Terminal: 1
C243 Behind LH side of I/P, on RKE program connector Terminal: 02
C250 Instrument Cluster, Behind top LH side of I/P, on instrument cluster (A6) Terminal: 14 Color: BR
C251 Instrument Cluster, Behind top LH side of I/P, on instrument cluster (A9) Terminal: 14 Color: GY
C252 Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module (PSOM), Behind top LH side of I/P, on PSOM (A7) Terminal: 12 Color: B
C257 Radio Jumper, with Premium Sound, Behind I/P, near radio (A4) Terminal: 08 Color: BK
C258 Radio Jumper, with Premium Sound, Behind I/P, near radio (A4) Terminal: 08 Color: BK
C260 Behind center of I/P, on blower motor switch (A4) Terminal: 04 Color: GY
C261 Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) Switch, Automatic, Behind LH side of I/P, on clutch pedal position switch jumper (F4) Terminal: 06 Color: G
C261, Manual, Behind LH side of I/P, on clutch pedal position switch (F4) Terminal: 06 Color: G
C262 In front of RH front door jamb, on right courtesy lamp switch (F4) Terminal: 03 Color: N
C263 In lower rear of LH front door jamb, on left front courtesy lamp switch (F2) Terminal: 03 Color: GY
C267 BW 1356 Electronic Shift Control Switch, Behind top LH side of I/P, on electronic shift control switch (A6) Terminal: 08 Color: GY
C268 Behind RH cowl panel (A5) Terminal: 04
C269 Ignition Switch, Top RH side of steering column, on ignition switch Terminal: 15
C270 Top front of RH front door (A7) Terminal: 03
C271 Behind RH cowl panel, on inertia fuel shutoff (A4) Terminal: 03 Color: GY
C273 Main Light Switch, Behind top LH side of I/P, on main light switch (C10) Terminal: 09 Color: GY
C274 Master Tailgate Window Switch, Behind top LH side of I/P, on master tailgate window switch (C10)Terminal: 05 Color: G
C275 Top of steering column, near transmission control switch (C10) Terminal: 03
C276 Behind LH side of I/P, on park brake switch (F8) Terminal: 01 Color: BK
C278 Rear Window Defrost Control, ehind top LH side of I/P, on rear window defrost control Terminal: 05 Color: N
C279 Behind LH side of I/P, on brake ON/OFF (BOO) switch (F7) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C280 Warning Chime Module, Behind lower center of I/P, on warning chime module (F6) Terminal: 07 Color: GY
C282 Radio, with Premium Sound, Behind center of I/P, on radio (A4) C283 Premium Sound Amplifie, Terminal: 08
C283 Premium Sound Amplifier, Behind center of I/P, on premium sound amplifier (A5) Terminal: 08
C292 Behind RH side of I/P, on glove compartment lamp (B1) Terminal: 02 Color: BR
C293 Behind lower center of I/P, on ashtray illumination (F5) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C294 Behind lower center of I/P, on cigar lighter (F4) Terminal: 01
C295 Below lower center of I/P, on cigar lighter (F4) Terminal: 01 Color: B
C296, with A/C Behind center of I/P, on A/C-heater control assembly (A2) Terminal: 04 Color: W
C296, without A/C Behind center of I/P, on heater control assembly (A2) Terminal: 04 Color: W
C298 Behind center of I/P, on heater control illumination (A4) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C299 At base of LH "A" pillar (A1) Terminal: 08 In-Line
C300 At base of LH "B" pillar (A2)Terminal: 04 Color: GY
C302 Below RH side of LH front seat, to seat belt switch (A3) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C305 Under LH side of LH front seat, to left power lumbar switch (F8) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C306 Under RH side of RH front seat, to right power lumbar switch (D1) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C310 LH side of tailgate, near rear window, on rear window defrost grid (A7Terminal: 01 Color: B
C311 Center of tailgate, near rear window, on rear window defrost grid (A7) Terminal: 01 Color: BK
C312 Under front of LH seat, on left power lumbar compressor motor (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C313 Below LH front seat (C9) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C314 Below RH front seat (A3) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C315 At base of LH "B" pillar (F3) Terminal: 04 Color: BR
C317 Under front of RH front seat, on right power lumbar compressor motor (F3) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C318 LH rear of cargo area, near center of "D" pillar (F6) Terminal: 06 Color: B In-Line
C326 LH side of cargo area, on left rear speaker (A3) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C327 RH side of cargo area, on right rear speaker (B10) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C328 Air Bag Safing Sensor, Mounted on RH side of frame rail, on safing sensor (C10) Terminal: 05
C329 Mounted on LH side of frame rail, to left primary crash sensor (F9) Terminal: 04
C330 Mounted near RH side of cowl panel, to right primary crash sensor (F3) Terminal: 04
C402 Under driver, on LH frame rail on acceleration sensor (E1) Terminal: 03
C404 VSS On rear axle sensor (A7) Terminal: 02
C405 Under LH rear of vehicle, on frame rail, near fuel tank (D10) Terminal: 04 Color: GY
C406 Under LH rear of vehicle, near rear crossmember (F7) Terminal: 04 Color: GY
C407 Under center rear of vehicle, near rear crossmember (E10) Terminal: 04 Color: BK
C417 Under vehicle, near rear crossmember (D10) Terminal: 07 In-Line
C418 Under LH rear of vehicle, near rear lamp assembly (F7) Terminal: 04 Color: N
C424 Under center rear of vehicle, near rear crossmember (D10) Terminal: 04 Color: GY
C428 In LH side of tailgate, on tailgate latch switch (E10) Terminal: 02 Color: B
C429 In lower center of tailgate, to tailgate power window motor (D10) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C431 LH rear of vehicle, on left rear park/stop/turn lamp (F8) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C432 RH rear of vehicle, on right rear park/stop/turn lamp (C10) Terminal: 03 Color: B
C433 LH rear of vehicle, on left backup lamp (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C434 RH rear of vehicle, on right backup lamp (D10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C435 Center rear of vehicle, on license lamp (E10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C436 Center rear of vehicle, on license lamp (E10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C441 Top RH side of fuel tank, on fuel pump module (C10) Terminal: 04 Color: BK
C500 In lower front LH front door, to left front window motor (B1) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C501 Left Power Mirror, Top front of LH door, on left power mirror (C1) Terminal: 08
C502 In rear of LH front door, on left door lock motor (D1) Terminal: 02 Color: N
C503 Window/Door Lock Control Switch (Master/Left), with Remote/Keyless Entry, In center of LH door, on window/door lock control switch (Master/Left) (C1) Terminal: 15
C503 Window/Door Lock Control Switch (Master/Left), without Remote/Keyless Entry, In center of LH door, on window/door lock control switch (Master/Left) (C1) Terminal: 15
C504 In lower rear of LH door, on left door courtesy lamp (D1) Terminal: 02 Color: B
C507 In top front of LH door, on left door speaker (A1) Terminal: 02 Color: G
C508 In front of LH door, to left power mirror (C1) Terminal: 04
C509 Behind RH cowl panel (A5) Terminal: 03
C550 Power Mirror Switch, In center of LH door, near power mirror switch (C1) Terminal: 08 Color: GY
C600 In lower front of RH door, to right front window motor (F5) Terminal: 02 Color: N
C601 Right Power Mirror, Top front of RH front door, to right power mirror (A6) Terminal: 08
C602 In rear of RH door, on right door lock motor (A10) Terminal: 02 Color: N
C603 Right Window And Door Lock Control Switch, with Remote/Keyless Entry, In center of RH door, on right window and door lock control switch (A9) Terminal: 10
C603 Right Window And Door Lock Control Switch, without Remote/Keyless Entry, In center of RH door, on right window and door lock control switch (A9) Terminal: 10
C606 In lower rear of RH door, on right door courtesy lamp (A10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C607 In top front of RH door, on right door speaker (A6) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C608 In front of RH door, to right power mirror (A6) Terminal: 04 Color: N
C905 Center of roof, on map lamps (A5) Terminal: 01 Color: G
C906 Center of roof, on dome lamp (A5) Terminal: 01 Color: G
C907 Top center rear of vehicle, on outside cargo/high-mount stop lamp (B10) Terminal: 03 Color: G
C908 Center of rear window header, near inside cargo lamp (B10) Terminal: 03 Color: GY
C911 In driver's side visor, on left vanity mirror lamp (A3)Terminal: 01
C912 In passenger's side visor, on right vanity mirror lamp (A5) Terminal: 01
C913 In center of windshield header, on day/night mirror (A4) Terminal: 03
C914 Compass/Outside Temperature Module, In center of windshield header, on overhead console (A4) Terminal: 10
C1005 Front RH side of lower radiator support, on low pitch horn (F3) Terminal: 01 Color: BK
C1006 Front RH side of lower radiator support, on high pitch horn (F2) Terminal: 01 Color: BK
C1007 Top RH front of engine, on idle air control valve (F6) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1008 LH rear of engine, on ignition coil (A7) Terminal: 03
C1012 Transmission Range (TR) Sensor, with 4R70W Transmission, Below center of vehicle, LH side of transmission, on transmission range (TR) sensor (F2) Terminal: 08 Color: BK
C1012 Transmission Range (TR) Sensor, with E4OD Transmission, Below center of vehicle, LH side of transmission, on transmission range (TR) sensor (F2) Terminal: 08 Color: BK
C1017 LH side of engine, near radio capacitor (A8) Terminal (none specified)
C1019 LH rear of engine compartment, taped to harness, near ignition control module (ICM), on SPOUT check connector (C10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1020 LH rear of transmission, on output shaft speed sensor (F3) Terminal: 02
C1021 Ignition Control Module (ICM), LH rear of engine compartment, on ignition control module (ICM) (B10) Terminal: 06 Color BK
C1022 Top LH rear of engine, on secondary air injection bypass (AIRB) solenoid (A5) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1023 Top LH rear of engine, on secondary air injection diverter (AIRD) solenoid (A5) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C1024 Top RH front of engine, near throttle position sensor (TPS) (F3) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C1025 Lower RH rear of engine, near starter on heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) #11 (A2) Terminal: 04
C1028 LH rear of engine, to heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) #21 (A2) Terminal: 04
C1030 Lower LH front of engine compartment, on windshield washer pump motor (D10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1031 LH front of vehicle, on left front park/turn lamp (F7) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C1032 RH front of vehicle, on right front park/turn lamp (F4) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C1033 LH front of vehicle, on left headlamp (F8) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C1034 RH front of vehicle, on right headlamp (F3) Terminal: 03 Color: BK
C1035 LH underside of engine compartment hood, on engine compartment lamp (A7) Terminal: 02 Color: GY
C1048 E4OD Transmission, RH front of vehicle, RH side of E4OD transmission (A2) Terminal: 12 Color: GY
C1049 4R70W Transmission, Below center of vehicle, RH side of 4R70W transmission (A2) Terminal: 10
C1052 RH front of vehicle, on right front side marker lamp (E1) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1053 RH front of vehicle, on right front side marker lamp (E1) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1054 LH front of vehicle, on left front side marker lamp (E10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1055 LH front of vehicle, on left front side marker lamp (E10) Terminal: 02 Color: BK
C1069 Under vehicle, behind engine, near catalytic converter Terminal: 04
tadtab.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
I am trying to upload from my phone but I can't get it to work, possibly the picture is bigger than allowed. It must be a sensor it has a single red or beige wire connected toit

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Here are some Wiring Diagrams (Partial, Bronco similar) for F 150 in 86, 89, 91 & 95; EEC, Start/Ignition, EFI/Fuel System, Emissions, E4OD, AOD/C6 (+ clutch interlock switch), etc. from Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) & MAP, TPS, ECT, ACT, KS), Start/Ignition, Fuel System, Emissions
Source: by Ford via Ryan M (Fireguy50)  

They do contain Connector numbers for various components/systems

Usual Suspect for a disconnected Connector behind Engine is the

Knock Sensor (KS) - could have a Red/Yellow or Gray/Red  wire in single pin connectorIn 95 5.0 VECI; it does show;

SENSOR ASSY., (Engine Spark Knock Intensity) E3AF 12A699-AA Location pic in an 89 5.0; "...After you have unplugged all the injectors, temp sensors, AC, oil sender, distributor and whatever else you can see, including this knock sensor at the rear pas side of the motor,..."
Source: by Waltman

change-oil-pan-gasket-and-valve-cover-gasket-039.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigGreenBronco

Reaction score
I dont see the air bybass and diverter valve behind the intake, just a single valveconnected to the manifolds going to the egr. I am guessing the guy who put the rebuilt motor in my truck removed it. Is there a sensor in the diverter valve? This clip sits right where that diverter valve should go. Is it worth it to buy an new one to get my vacuum correct? I am trying to figure out missing and skip at idle my distributer cap has burnt points on the brass inside and i just replaced it a few months ago? Could this be a vacuum problem? Or should i check the pcm? very confused lol 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

ok

No sensor in combo valve

I don't know how much else is missing so that will affect total cost to you.

the combo ait valve looks like the pic I posted earlier;

img_0333.jpg

Use Ford part number from VECI Parts List for a google search

Yard queens are a good source as well as PCI Inc (call them, they have great phone service)http://www.pciinc.com/

Ford Air Check Valve Ford Air Check Valve
  • 74-76 5.8 & 7.5L Ford & Mercury cars;
  • 84-87 5.8 & 5.7 Ford and Mercury cars
  • 77-82 5.8 and 5.7 light trucks
  • RReplaces OE D4AZ-9A487-A, OE E7TZ-9A487-D, OE E8TZ-9A487-B, OE F3TZ-9A487-C, Motorcraft CX-1482.
  • Use with #111, #415, #416, and #436

=================

Missing @ Idle

Have to at least look at the two Codes you found;

DTC 212 & 327

Runs Rough Idle http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/vra/vra02011.htm#vra02chart6

Could this be a vacuum problem?  YES!

Have to sign off now; will be back in morning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke