dumb question about front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eaglesoaring

Reaction score
Hello all I have a stupid question on my 95 Bronco front suspension Ok here goes behind the front axel there are 2 arms one on each side they a solid in shape have rubber bushings on the end and it goes through a bracket that's bolted to the frame. I know they stop the axel from moving around, but don't know they name I need to replace the bracket that bolts to the frame and the rubber bushings any help would be greatly appreciated

JLasvegas

Reaction score
Radius arm brackets, you should be able to order them online pretty easily

OP
OP
E

eaglesoaring

Reaction score
They are radius arm bushing I replaced mine few years back and its not super hard just a pain if you cut the rivets on the frame you will save allot of time and cursing the truck just replace the rivets with grade 8 bolts and you should be fine

OP
OP
E

eaglesoaring

Reaction score
thanks ok the next question would you replace the radius arms themselves

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

eaglesoaring

Reaction score
You should be able to reuse the radius arm's and the bracket's they are normally fine the bushing is what wears out as long as nothings bent or broken just replace the bushings as needed hope it helps.Sam

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Bushing Installation, Energy Suspension® in 80-96

Source: by Energy Suspension® via jegs.com

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/355/355-4-7109G.pdf

Bushing and Bracket Replacement in a 95

Source: by bds3795

Yesterday I realized that I needed to replace my radius arm bushings and brackets as they were worn out, and the holes in the bracket were out of round. The service manual states that you have to take apart the front suspention, but that isn't true if you want to replace the brackets too! Sorry, i don't have any pics, but it was a real easy job.

The drivers side radius arm was held on by 3 rivets and one bolt. Two rivets on the bottom of the frame, and one in the top hole. The rear most hole had a bolt in it.

I tried to chisel the rivets off, but they were just too stubborn. I ended up torching off the heads and popping the rivets out of the hole. Be careful when you are using heat because your fuel lines, and some wiring run down the frame.

Once the rivets and bolts were removed the bracket and the radius arm dropped down enough to allow the bracket and the bushing to be removed. Be sure to clean the end of the radius arm to ensure that the new bushing seats all the way around.

Now it is time to put it back together. I used grade 8 bolts to replace the rivets. Put the front half of the bushing on the radius arm, then the bracket. I had to use a bottle jack to get the radius arm up far enough to line up the holes. Tighten the bracket down, then you can assemble the rest of the bushing. Torque the bushing to 120 ft/lbs.

The passenger side was the same, except there were no rivets, just 4 bolts. The bottom pair of bolts were linked together with a bracket so you don't have to use a wrench to get them out. The passenger side needed a pry-bar to pull the radius arm down far enough to get the bracket out, but other than that it was exactly the same as the drivers side.

Total time, two hours. Two brackets from ford: $56, advance auto bushing kit: $17 for both sides.

This was performed on a 100% stock 1995 ford bronco 5.8. The suspension has never been touched and was ford factory fresh.

Bushing Replacement in a 95 Source: by s1120 (Paul B)

Bushing (Insulators) Removal & Installation & Torques in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250 4x4 and Bronco Workshop Manual Source: by Ford

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar