Heater Core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

luv2jeeper

Reaction score
My 78 bronco has working a/c and the heater core appears to be leaking.I used the leak stop stuff a couple years ago and got by untill now.So i looked in my motor manual to see what kind of project it is to replace it.manual says with a/c it is beyond the scope of the home Mechanic :huh: Has any one changed one or payed to have it done? Cost? Thanks

Ziggy

Reaction score
I had to replace my heater core in my 79 (with A/C), new core ran about $40.00. In order to get to the heater core (and blower motor), you will have to go in through the dash, passanger side, under the glove box. You will have to remove the glove box door, glove box, A/C box cover, various ducts and hoses to get into the actual box and core. It was not hard, just time consuming and if you can remove the seat, it will help with more room. The hardest part was removing the old hoses from the heater core, Since I was replacing the hoses, I just cut them off. If you replace the hoses at the same time, take note as to which hose (in/out, upper/lower) has the heater valve and direction the valve goes. If you get it backwards, you will have no heat. Be careful putting the hoses back on so you don't crack or break the fittings. I always wet the insides of the hoses with water so they slide on easier. When you tighten the clamps, be careful not to crush or distort the tubes as they will leak. Might as well check the blower motor while you're at it, as it will be right there. Your A/C cooling coil is also in this box as well and I can't remember if it was in the way or not. Mine had been disconnected, so I pulled it out and pitched in the trash.

Ziggy

Reaction score
I had to replace my heater core in my 79 (with A/C), new core ran about $40.00. In order to get to the heater core (and blower motor), you will have to go in through the dash, passanger side, under the glove box. You will have to remove the glove box door, glove box, A/C box cover, various ducts and hoses to get into the actual box and core. It was not hard, just time consuming and if you can remove the seat, it will help with more room. The hardest part was removing the old hoses from the heater core, Since I was replacing the hoses, I just cut them off. If you replace the hoses at the same time, take note as to which hose (in/out, upper/lower) has the heater valve and direction the valve goes. If you get it backwards, you will have no heat. Be careful putting the hoses back on so you don't crack or break the fittings. I always wet the insides of the hoses with water so they slide on easier. When you tighten the clamps, be careful not to crush or distort the tubes as they will leak. Might as well check the blower motor while you're at it, as it will be right there. Your A/C cooling coil is also in this box as well and I can't remember if it was in the way or not. Mine had been disconnected, so I pulled it out and pitched in the trash.

Ziggy

Reaction score

OP
OP
L

luv2jeeper

Reaction score
Thanks ,i think ive got some work to do today! Gonna do it my self! :unsure:

Ziggy

Reaction score
Sorry for the double and triple replys on the heater core, I wasn't trying to make a point. Our glorious server here in Iraq that Uncle Sam has provided us is not the best (lowest bidder thing). And since it is also coupled to a relay station, that just makes matters worse. Gee, this place is so much fun.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke