Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jferris83

Reaction score
I just bought my 90 bronco EB edition a few weeks ago(my first bronco). Well it has a oil leak somewhere but just can't find it because of all the build up of oil and grease. What's a good degreaser? I've been told gunk engine brite. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Also good story is that when I met my wife she was driving a 89 EB edition bronco! Now tell me that isn't awesome! Thanks guys

OP
OP
J

Jferris83

Reaction score
Thanks Ron, the source was a pretty reliable source. Just wanted to see what y'all thought. But again thanks alot

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
My valve cover gaskets have been leaking on my block for a while now AND now I know what to use!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J,

Possible Engine Oil Leak Points;

valve cover gaskets

intake manifold gaskets

cylinder head gasket

timing cover gasket

dipstick tube

oil pressure sender

pan gasket

pan front & rear seal

crankshaft front & rear seals

Oil Filter

Oil Pan Drain Plug and/or Gasket

Oil Cooler Adapter, if equipped

Engine oil leaks are sometimes improperly diagnosed as transmission pump seal leaks. "The following areas of possible leakage should also be checked to determine if engine oil leakage is causing the problem. Leakage at the valve cover may allow engine oil to flow over the converter housing or seep down between the converter housing and block causing oil to be present in or at the bottom of the converter housing. Oil plug leaks will allow oil to flow down the rear face of the block to the converter housing. Leakage at the crankshaft seal will work back to the flywheel, and then into the converter housing. from 1996 Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual

Part II - Oil Pan

pan can be rusted out as mine is and causing a leak... Mine isn't leaking, yet, but I have been removomg rust where I can get to and using Rust Bullet.)

Finally, one more comment by me on this (for today...lol). When I was Navy & @ shore... I often met w/many suppliers esp. the major US steel mills. One rep. (John.. a great man!) described the differences between companies that manufacture commercial and industrial products ranging from refigerators to trucks.

When selling appliance/vehicle body panel, etc. rolled steel to the customer, the mills would discount 10% automatically because the edges and outside coil of the steel roll would be rusty or slightly damaged due to storage/shipment.

The "higher quality firms" would basically scrap these sections; while the "others" would try to remove or minimize the rusty sections and use it in various "non-appearance" parts of the vehicle or item they were manufacturing.

This was in the 80's and 90's; and as we know, since then, Ford and other manufacturers have improved the body panel specs and quality exc. for this and some other items (tailgates and some suspension components).

OP
OP
J

Jferris83

Reaction score
It's coming from the front of the motor somewhere or from the top.cause the bottom front of the motor is covered in old oil and grease. Just dropped the rear driveshaft this morning gonna replace the cv head and all u joints when they get here. Ordered them from bronco graveyard. Only place I could find the cv head

OP
OP
J

Jferris83

Reaction score
Auto zone or advanced don't carry it here, the I.D. Red that is

90bronco86

Reaction score
One of the ways I've been told to find an oil leak is to totally clean and dry the motor then coat it on baby powder then drive it for a week or so then check it and you should be able to see where it starts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickyb571