swapping 4 speed to c-6 automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acbronco

Reaction score
I need HELP. I am new to 4-wheeling and therefore i don't have much savvy on 4x4 parts. I have a 1968 bronco with a small block 351 and 4-speed. My 4-speed is junk and i want to swap to a Ford c-6 automatic and still use my Dana 20 transfer case. I don't want a high dollar, bullit proof, custombuilt transmission - i do need information on what 4x4 junk yard transmissions that would work (Ford small block remember) without having to buy a $600 adapter. Or, if i do have to buy an adapter, is there a less expensive one somewhere? Second option; a small block Ford c-6 complete with transfer case that would fit inside the narrow frame rails of an early bronco (must be 12" or less from center of rear output shaft to outside edge of transfer case. Forward drive shaft must be on driver side. Hopefully someone has done this and was able to keep the cost reasonable. I am also open to any other options you may have. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Email me

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi AC..., welcome..!

This is NOT cheap (or easy)...! (due to all the change-out parts) however, it all fits.

Rather than type it all up...,

Call http://www.TomsBroncoParts.com They have what you need, new & used.

And., with it all out, you need to insp. the T-case B/4 re-installing.

BTW..,

"My 4-speed is junk"

What exactly does this mean...? 351 W/4speed is a good set-up. >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

cjcargo

Reaction score
Wish I had the four speed.

I have a c4 in my rig, but It had the 3 speed from factory. I'm thinking of going back to a standard trans. I like the ZF S542 or Zf S547.

Your 4 speed is most likely a NP435 and a great wheeling trans with a good low granny gear.

I myself like driving a the manual better than a automatic. I feel if you get stuck a manual is better, you can't really rock a automatic.

I would get the 4 speed repaired or replaced. Most likely you will save some money over getting a C6 and adaptors. Adaptors alone are over 4 hundred dollars.

If you really want to got auto you should search Wild horses, Jeffs Bronco Grave yard, Toms Bronco parts and more to see what this may cost you. Unless you get lucky and find a donor from another vehicle.

Good luck,

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke