Heater Core/coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradt

Reaction score
I'm at my wit's end with this one. I've replaced the hoses going to and from the core with new ones. I've replaced the heater core. I've still got anti-freeze leaking into my floor. I can see where it's coming from, but can't figure out why it keeps leaking.

The water/anti-freeze flow through the heater core doesn't have to go in a certain direction does it? It's just a small radiator right?

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
The direction shouldn't make any difference. You are right it is just a mini radiator and water flows thru it weather the heat is on or off. Where is the leak comming from? Is it where the hoses hook on? If it's comming from the core, you probably just got a bad one. If it's from the connection try a diffferent style clamp or two of them with a slight offset between them.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
B

Bradt

Reaction score
The direction shouldn't make any difference. You are right it is just a mini radiator and water flows thru it weather the heat is on or off. Where is the leak comming from? Is it where the hoses hook on? If it's comming from the core, you probably just got a bad one. If it's from the connection try a diffferent style clamp or two of them with a slight offset between them.
Good luck,

:)>-
It looks like the leak's coming from the connector. I don't smell anti-freeze, and the air from the vents is dry as a bone.

I didn't even think of a different clamp! Good call. I'll give that a whirl in the morning.

Thanks,

Brad

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
check you clamps. i have gotten cheap ones that have broken very quickly before too.

88pimpin

Postwhore, Pimpin Ain't Easy
Reaction score
If your air smells funny, kinda like coolant, not a bad smell, but smelling it a lot isn't that great, would it be the heater core?

How hard is it to replace one in an 88 Bronco?

OP
OP
B

Bradt

Reaction score
If your air smells funny, kinda like coolant, not a bad smell, but smelling it a lot isn't that great, would it be the heater core?
How hard is it to replace one in an 88 Bronco?
i think it was clamps. No smells coming in or humidity, so it wasn't in the box. I changed the clamps and it seems ok now.

Not too bad if you pull the glove box out. Can get to it through there pretty well if you know where all the bolts are that hold the box together. It takes a little maneuvering to get the core in and out, but it's better than pulling out the dash.

Brad

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke