Today is the day! Crunch time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxxyank

Reaction score
As stated... Today is the day for my final push, either i get her up and running to pass inspection tomorrow. Or i got to take my subaru on vacation, which would ****.... I have been doing this long standing project of swapping my old 95 guts & drivetrain into a rust free 88.

My checklist for today is

remount the 5spd trans... it was mounted for an AOD orignally

attach the fresh rebuilt 1356

rebuild both driveshafts and install

do the rear brakes then swap to manual hubs up front

bleed the brakes & the clutch

splice the 88 tailgate harness to the 95 harness so i can swap in the 95 taillight harness. (so i have working brake lights)

finish bolting up the fuel tank

Put the trans tunnel cover on, plus the shifters.

mount the drivers seat

replace drivers window (yes the motor is good) by the PO shattered the window somehow...

finish aligning the front clip bolt the new radiator support

put in battery tray them air filter tray

make sure the engine harness is together

put in condensor & radiator then attach lines

attach headlamp panel grill and lights

bolt up bumper

fill all fluids

and hope she starts and i didn't forget anything...

anybody who knows anything on r&r the drivers window to help speed me along??? along with what to spice/jump (harness wise to drop the tailgate window)...

The NEW great NC rules say i have to get the vehicle inspected before i can register it. Since the DMV office is not open on saturday, i have to push it to get it inspected tomorrow (where she will get new tires and exhaust)so i can get my tag...

So unless you live around lake norman NC and know your stuff and have the day off.LOL Even tho i have my doubts i will finish it, i'm going to give it **** today! so wish me luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo X

GOOD LUCK

PW Motor

Motor Replacement in an 83

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3252

Motor Replacement & Repair (Motor Torque Pin (also called Bushing)) in 87, 88, 89+ "...Dorman HELP part number 74410..." by bigmercury.com

http://www.bigmercury.com/bigmercury_technical.htm#pwrepair

Motor Models - the split between models of the 92 (for power window motor purposes) occurs in May. If it was made BEFORE May, the window motor is the same as a 91. Otherwise, the motor is the same as the 92-96

......they're all the same. The only difference is they make a left and a right side motor. I used a 92 model motor from the right side (passenger) door of an F-150. A passenger side window motor from a car should work as well. The one thing I did notice was that the later model motors have a slightly different drive motor on them but I believe it's more powerful than the earlier ones. My window goes up twice as fast and has never worked as good as it does now..."

Source: by Dixie Pirate

more PW LINKS @

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=130

===========

tailgate window;

Glass Won't Move Down, Do you heare the tg motor running? If not;

The tailgate latch switch on the driver's side seems to be a common problem, check ileft latch; per Seabronc; It keeps the window from being moved when the tailgate is open, & if not latched right, it'll keep the window from working at all. Try pushing on the tailgate in while holding the button or key switch in the down position

If the glass is clear of the shell, but you can't open the t/g, remove the inside access panel & pull these 2 rods inward. Either unclip them from the center mechanism, or pull them like bow strings to release each latch. Make sure the glass isnt so high that it engages the campers groove, or it could break. If it wont come down, unbolt the slides from the glass, or the motor from the regulator to lower the glass.

inside-c.jpg

by Steve

if tg motor is running;

"...unbolt the slides from the glass, or the motor from the regulator to lower the glass..."

Troubleshooting Synopsis; "...The tail gate circuit is pretty easy to resolve with a meter. Attached is a diagram of the circuit. Note that there are two fuses which you may have already found out. One powers the dash switch which is powered only when the key is in RUN or ACC. The other powers the tail gate switch and that line is hot at all times. If the motor is definitely good, (which can be verified by using a set of jumper leads directly to the motor connector). Once it is verified that the motor works then the common problems are: 1. The Latch Safety switch in the left side latch, This is often a problem when the tail gate fails from both switches.(you can pull the connector and jumper it out, which many people leave permanently jumpers out). The problem can be as easy as the latch needs adjustment. So if the jumper makes it work then either leave it jumped, adjust the latching stud for a tighter fit, or replace the latch switch if testing indicates it is bad. The function of the switch is to make sure the tail gate is latched before putting the window up. I like it bypassed because it makes it easy to get the window out of the way when working inside the tail gate. I think I'm smart enough to put the window back down before closing the tail gate . The only suggestion if leaving it jumped is to support the window if it is in the up position with the tail gate down. Else it could be broken by someone leaning on it. 2. The ground return for the tail gate switch uses the same two lines the dash switch does, (the grounding point is under the dash). The dash switch changes the function of the two leads running to the tail gate window motor by grounding one and putting 12V on the other. The tail gate switch uses the two leads for the ground connection, (it requires the dash switch to be in the neutral position in order to work). Depending on the year of the truck there are 2 or 3 connectors involved that often get corroded, sometimes to the point that the wires break off the connector. In your truck, there is on connector behind the left tail light, the next common failing connector is the one on the left side of the rear frame crossover member, (it is gray, if you can still see the color, and just under and behind the bumper). So to make it short, if you can operate the motor with a set of jumper leads and the window goes up and down that way, then the problem is a connection or the Latch Safety Switch. If you can't get the tail gate open to work on it, crawl in the back and remove the tail gate panel and find the motor leads attached along the bottom edge of the opening. Disconnect them and use a long set of leads or another battery in the back with you to test the motor. Once the window is down you can open the gate to make it more comfortable to work on the problem. In the diagram you will see a black with white striped wire that goes to the tail gate key switch, you should have 12V there at all times. To get at it, you will need the window in the up position. The other two leads, (with the dash switch in the center position) should indicate that they are grounded when doing a continuity check of them). You can also check the entire path from dash switch to the tail gate key switch by using a meter and probing the wires the purple with light green stripe and the dark green with light green stripe (Purple(P) with light green stripe in 87-96). Have someone (with the key in RUN or ACC) moving the Dash switch from UP to Down while you check those leads for 12V. If you don't get 12V then the problem is in a connector between the two switches or a broken wire (a broken wire would most likely be where they transition between the body and tail gate due to constant flexing). The procedure would be; 12V missing on one of the wires, move back to the connector behind the tail light (missing there), move to the connector on the cross member (missing there) move back to the connectors in front, until you find where you have 12V on the line you are probing. Once you find 12V the problem is between the last point probed and where you find 12V..." MIESK5 Note, For the motor test; try using a cordless power tool's 12v battery with jumpers

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/topic/7671-tailgate-window-switch/

More LINKS in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=478

Krafty

Reaction score
GOOOOOOD LUUUUCCCCKKK!!!!!

that reminds me of putting in a rebuilt trans ( 2nd rebuild) in my 79 tbird on a sunday afternoon because I sold my bronco on the friday and needed the t-bird to get to college 5 hours away for my exams on monday. Did I mention it was -14 that day. good times.

if you have time snap some pics

OP
OP
Xxxyank

Xxxyank

Reaction score
Well i failed, i did get a lot acomplished but obviously not enough.(Those card joints are a PITA!) So i guess i'm subaruing it to the adrondacks. I didn't take any pictures but my supermotors account under xxxyank shows my broncinstein project, which i haven't updated since this summer. It shows the firewall swap & dash swap, so that is why it has been so drawn out.

Anyways it's all good, i'm going to fire it up for the first time this morning... Then i'll head out saturday snowmobiling for 10 days, if i can make it. [-o<

You guys take it easy!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke