OIL PRESSURE SENOR? FLUID LEAK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunner5737

Reaction score
So i have a few questions concerning my 93 ford bronco 5.0

1) My oil pressure gage reads high, sputters occasionally never on the low side, so i was going to trouble shoot the sensor/sending unit, so when i went to look for it i found this instead "Top of Tranny" pic, not quite sure what that is, it looks like the connector connected to what was there but i dont know what was there?

2) I am leaking what appears to be oil coming from the bell housing/rear enging, i think it might be the rear main seal but not sure since the fluid builds up in the area where i took pic "Under Bell housing" pic, i was hoping someone else would have a little more insight and whether or not that would be it and if that would be a at home mechanic fix or something I should take in.

any help would be appreciated

TOP OF TRANNY.jpg

CONNECTOR.jpg

UNDER BELL HOUSING.jpg

Xxxyank

Reaction score
That sensor is the "Coolant Temperature sensor" not to be confused with the "Temperture switch"...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Coolant-Temperature-Sensor/1995-Ford-Bronco/_/N-j1vlbZ9gslt?itemIdentifier=147389_0_18589_

Normally when you get oil like that back there on top of the trans bell housing, comes from two places... A broken PVC line that runs from the left to the right rear of the valve cover that is under the upper intake... OR your lower intake manifold leaking out the back...

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Gunner,

The way to get a better idea what is leaking, is to clean the engine with degreaser. Let it dry well, and then dust it with babypowder. Run the engine for a while, then look for where the babypowder is turning brown, black, red, etc.. that is the beginning of the leak.

The connector looks to be for an O2 sensor. Im not sure what year it started but there is an Os sensor in both right and left side exhaust manifolds. Yours may have only one.

The orange button looking thing on the tranny is a vent.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Well checked out the sensor, thought it was what Xxxyank suggested the ECT sensor but when i went to get a new one from the parts store they gave me a ECT sensor but would not fit, the threads were way to big, so i am at a loss for what sensor it could be, if the engine is not original then there would be sensor connectors not connected but that leads into slew of other questions, should they be connected and what engine is actually in my truck? hopefully i (with your guys help, which is much appreciated) can getter right soon. ive attached pics of what the mystery sensor look like.

mystery sensor 2.jpg

mystery sensor.jpg

OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Well did some searching and found a knock sensor that matches up with what i need, the only thing is i cannot find in the haynes/chilton manual that broncos ever had a knock sensor or they do not give location or what years would have it, it does mention that i must be replaced with a particular color, but the one i pulled out dosent really have any color to it..

dvanced auto parts
3461467_bwd_s8041_pri_larg.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Gunner;

Knock Sensor Location pic in an 89 5.0; "...knock sensor at the rear pas side of the motor,..."

change-oil-pan-gasket-and-valve-cover-gasket-039.jpg

Source: by Waltman

Ford Part Number in Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal; Contains Vacuum Diagram & Calibration Parts List for 88 & UP. On-Line for Free at Ford. Click "Quick Guides" in left panel; Scroll to & CLICK VECI Labels "Provides Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and a related calibration parts list." Enter applicable info (need to know your Calibration number (also called catch code) from your B-pillar sticker). Vacuum Diagram is the same as the one on the core support or hood or air filter cover. Suggest Right Clicking this Hot Link & Open in New Window

Source: by Ford @ http://www.motorcraftservice.com

SENSOR ASSY., (Engine Spark Knock Intensity)

ENGINEERING NO E3AF 12A699-AA

SERVICE NO E3AZ 12A699-A

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Gunner,

With the new info it safe to say that what you had in the back of the block was a knock sensor. You can look at the color of the plastic that is left and determine what color sensor you need. It's then a pretty good bet that the plug, (I first said was to an O2 sensor) is for the knock sensor.

Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno