93 ford bronco Stalls when put into reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunner5737

Reaction score
I have two things going on:1st----So my 93 ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 stalls when I put it into reverse, I've checked the spark plug wires and found that one wire was in the wrong position prior checking the wires i noted the order they were in 1-3-8-2-6-5-4-7 counter-clockwise after researching it some i found or at least i think the order should be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. So i rewired and runs better but still stalls in reverse i think it might be a fuel issue but i dont know where to start or even if i am on the right track

2nd---- I have what looks to be a sensor that is unscrewed and laying there has been since i bought the Bronco 4 months ago, ive attached some pictures,

if anyone can help me out i would appreciate it.

DSC_0358.JPG

DSC_0359.JPG

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Gunner,

That looks like an Air Charge temp. Sensor. It usually is screwed into the base of the mainfold on the left side of the engine, real close to where the pic show you holding it.

Have you checked the ecu for codes?

1993 and earlier 302 (5.0L) fireing order= 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 distributor rotates counter clockwise.

Good luck

OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Ron,Ill take a look again for the air charge temp. Sensor, for the codes no I have not checked yet when I referenced chiton and hayes it says the firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-7-8 but when I pulled the spark wires off it was 1-3-8-2-6-5-4-7 which is similar to the ** firing order for a efi 5.0 (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) so I labeled and re wired based off what I found and runs fine smooth noticeable change than previously, but with the exception of the "reverse" Rpms drop and truck stalls. And I did try firing order chiton/Haynes ref and truck sputtered and stopped.. Prior to rewiring I did notice the oil pressure was high and voltage fluctuated but Gauges would flutter which caused me to think the sensor were malfunctioning but have not replace as of yet. But I guess my next step is to run a diagnostic and see what codes come up.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Gunner.

The firing order on 302 (5.0L) changed in 1994 to 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. If that is the order your engine is running good on, then you do not have a 93 5.0 engine. Or someone changed components, and "frankensteined" your motor. ( Let's hope not)

Ford changed from an air charge temp sender in the manifold, to an ambient air temp sensor in the air intake box around 94 95 or 96. I don't remember the exact year.

You may have a newer engine in your Bronc, so there is no port for the air charge sensor. That would also explain the firing order.

Here's a pic of a ACT sensor:

ford ACT sensor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Ron,

Well that makes sense, if the engine was changed i wonder if the PCM needed to be changed also? and if that has anything to do with my reverse issue

OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Well if the engine has been swapped then the VIN will be useless so i will pull the starter to look for the casting # tomorrow, i used a bunch of other forums to determine a 302 or a 351 and i am pretty positive that i have a 302, as soon aas i get that casting # i will post.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Identification, 5.0 & 5.8

To determine which EFI V-8 engine you have, look closely at the EGR Tube;

The 5.0L EGR Tube runs from the lower intake manifold to bottom of EGR Valve

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=11910

The 5.8L EGR Tube runs from the passenger exhaust manifold to bottom of EGR Valve

http://broncozone.com/uploads/monthly_04_2012/post-3816-0-34515500-1335352077_thumb.jpg

quick ID tip: The lower thermostat housing bolt on the 302 will be below the top of the water pump and you won't be able to put a socket on it. On the 351W you can remove the bolt with a socket.

The positive ID is to measure the lower intake; 302 is aprox ~ 8 inches wide. 351 is aporx ~ 11 inches wide.

The 5.0L uses squared ports and the 5.8L uses oval ports. If you get an intake from a junk yard it will have the matching fuel rail..." Read More

Source: by fordification.com & Ryan M (Fireguy50) via miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forum

====

Filter Magnet; E4OD Kills Engine in Gear; "...works as a filter retainer; w/Ford PN and size; basically this is a magnet Ford uses to keep the filter in-place tightly into the pump; Ford pn F3RZ-7E290-AC..."

Source: by spxfiltran.com via web.archive http://web.archive.org/web/20050213234632/http://www.spxfiltran.com/Bulletins/toledo/techbulletin.asp?num=037

Kills Engine in Drive or Reverse; may be caused by a faulty Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS); also called RABS Sensor & Differential Speed Sensor (DSS) signal to the PCM. Observe the speedometer gauge or VSS signal on a scan tool. If the VSS display exceeds 90 MPH (may be higher on some models), the EEC (computer) is programmed to stop pulsing the fuel injection. If this occurs at low speed or while idling, suspect a bad Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM).

VSS Test; Disconnect vehicle speed sensor connector. Measure resistance between the two pins on the vehicle speed sensor. Is reading between 800 and 1400 ohms? Yes - Vehicle speed sensor checks OK. No - REPLACE sensor.

Speed Input Signal Test at PSOM connector in 93-96 Bronco; "...NOTE: Only wiring harness end of connector is to be probed. * Connect Rotunda Digital Volt-Ohmmeter 014-00407 or equivalent to Pin 4 (speed in ) and Pin 5 (speed in -). * Does the voltage increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 3.5 volts as vehicle speed increases from 0 to 48 km/h (0 to 30 mph)? OR: If available, a frequency counter may be connected to Pin 4 (Speed in ) and Pin 5 (Speed in -). Does the displayed frequency of the signal increase smoothly and continuously from 0 to approximately 667 Hz at approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)? OR: * If neither a voltmeter nor frequency counter is available, vehicle speed control may be used as a good indicator. If it works normally, then the speedometer module is at least receiving a speed input signal and the wiring and sensor can be assumed to be good. Rear axle sensor should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin. To bypass the 4WABS module & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM, jumper 4WABS Control Module Bypass for PSOM Operation due to Bad 4WABS Control Module; "...To bypass the 4WABS module & feed the ABS signal directly to the PSOM, jumper 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y)to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK) & 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB)to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)..." MIESK5 NOTE; see Steve's 4WABS Connectors Diagrams for 93-96 for the Module's Connector Pin-Outs..."; Miesk5 Note in 96 Ford shows 170-270 ohms across the pins

vss94bronco.jpg

supersport36

Reaction score
I may be way off on this, but i thought i remember reading a thread once that mentioned if your Bronco dies after shifting in reverse, that the transmission fluid pickup tube has come loose and fallen into the pan. It was something very similar to that.

I know that sounds strange, so i hope maybe someone else has heard this and can confirm it.

Oops. Looks like Miesk already had a link to it.

link

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
my 93 f150 used to stall in reverse, I swapped the trans filter and it never did it again.

OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Thanks all, my moms in the hospital so taking some time off from working on the bronco

OP
OP
G

Gunner5737

Reaction score
Well I found my engine casting # F!SE-BB 11, everything i am finding says it is a 91 thunderbird? I did swap out the tranny filter and did not fix my issue, going to try the VSS sensor next see if that works. i have noticed as of recently that my truck will stall out when i come to a stop only in the first 10-15 of driving though, Ive attached a pic of the casting # also if anybody could give some insight if this would help me figure out my mystery sensor on the below thread also has pics of sensor.

link) oil pressure sensor?

engine casting num.JPG

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Gunner;

I replied to the Sensor in your other post;

her it is;

Knock Sensor Location pic in an 89 5.0; "...knock sensor at the rear pas side of the motor,..."

change-oil-pan-gasket-and-valve-cover-gasket-039.jpg

Source: by Waltman

Ford Part Number in Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) Decal; Contains Vacuum Diagram & Calibration Parts List for 88 & UP. On-Line for Free at Ford. Click "Quick Guides" in left panel; Scroll to & CLICK VECI Labels "Provides Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and a related calibration parts list." Enter applicable info (need to know your Calibration number (also called catch code) from your B-pillar sticker). Vacuum Diagram is the same as the one on the core support or hood or air filter cover. Suggest Right Clicking this Hot Link & Open in New Window

Source: by Ford @ http://www.motorcraftservice.com

SENSOR ASSY., (Engine Spark Knock Intensity)

ENGINEERING NO E3AF 12A699-AA

SERVICE NO E3AZ 12A699-A

===========

Casting # - yes, looks like 91 T Bird

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/casting-numbers-page-2-ford-casting-numbers-explained.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke