Identifying engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boricua Bronco

Reaction score
Hello i have this problem, a friend of mine gave me a 79 bronco motor but i do not know what size the engine is and i need to buy a flywheel beacuse his transmicion was a automatic and mine is standart, is their any way to identify it???

Bronc76

Reaction score
A couple of quick differences between the engines is that the upper radiator hose is mounted to the block on the M and the on intake on the W. 351M should have eight valve cover bolts and the Windsor has six.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Boricua Bronco,

In addition to what BO

B & Bronc76 advised, here is the 351M/400M Workshop; EXCELLENT M Block Information Source

Source: by Bubba (Dave R) at http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/index.html

some excerpts;

Many M-block (351M/400) engine blocks have a 5/8" tall raised web just left of the distributor hole, on the top of the block. However, not all M-blocks have that web, as this photo (and the previous photo) of a 1978 MCC block shows. Some people say you can distinguish an M-block from a 351 Cleveland block by that web. It's true that no 351 Cleveland blocks have that web, but not all M-blocks do either. While presence of the web rules out a 351 Cleveland, absence of the web does not rule out an M-block. This photo of a 1979 CF block shows the raised web to the left of the distributor hole on the front of the block. The raised web is an extension of the engine block’s front intake manifold gasket surface..."

Build Date Location & pic; "...The original build date of the engine is stamped into the front cover surface, toward the right side of the engine. Often this stamp is behind the front cover gasket so it is not visible with the front cover plate on the engine. In this case, it was outside of the front cover gasket.The build date was the date on which the engine was assembled at the factory. The build date code in this picture is: “78G190” This translates to July 19, 1978..."

http://grantorinosport.org/BubbaF250/parts/pics02.html

OP
OP
B

Boricua Bronco

Reaction score
Hello friends!!!thanks for the information!! i just foud out my motor is in deed a 351m/400!!! cant wait to mount it and go mud ridding!!!!!!!! Im in Puerto Rico if you come to the island just let me know !!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo