68 bronco restore or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kybronco68

Reaction score
HI Guys

I need opinions because I can see going either way on this so I want fresh eyes I have a 68 bronco with a 170 6cylinder. Fenders on rear have been cut. I basically bought it cause the body was straight with some rust on the inside floor pannels and rear deck. But the top and body are in pretty good shape.now here's my dilema I've had it for quite some time and now I have a daughter who is 2 now. I would like to pass it on to her when she is 16 so we got some time. Anyway should I restore it for value or rebuild it like I first dreamed by swapping in a v8 cutting the body lifting you know all that jazz. Also kentucky where I live is making it ******* the old vehicles right now its not licensed but this past year they tried to slap me with a big property tax incrrase saying it was valued at 8000.00 even when I showed them pictures and explained it wasn't even running. How is everbody getting around this. I want her to have it when I'm gone but taxes might be outragious by then. Thanks guys

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey KY, Welcome

My opinion only is to restore it. That would give you the most value if done correctly and with good workmanship. ( but also with the highest cost.) These vehicles are very rare and getting more difficult to find every year.

If done well a good restored Bronc of that year could pay for part of her college.

Old Cars Report puts a value of about 19K on a fine restored 68 Bronco. Of course the market will be different in 14 years, but again, these vehicles are only getting more rare.

Good Luck with whatever your decision is and good health and happiness to your little girl.

Bronc76

Reaction score
X2 on getting it restored like Ron said, especially if you have a solid body to begin with. You may get more enjoyment out of it.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
What Ron said but...,

One could write books on these subjects. "RESTORE" means like it came fr. the factory. Anything less is just cleaned up.

IMHO (Don't mean to sound NEG. but actually staying "positive" req. regular reality checks.)

Who knows.., if things keep going the way they have the last couple yrs., we'll all be riding "Chinacycles" & cook'n over chopped logs in 14 yrs.

Then there's "teenagers"...! I doubt there's a dad out there that knew what their teen(s) wanted or what they were really doing from 12 thru 20.

Work on & play with your rig now..., the future will ------- who knows...???

Oh.., & keep the I-6 gas may get to $8gal. yet.

You're in for YEARS of fun with your daughter and your rig..!

OP
OP
K

kybronco68

Reaction score
Thanks guys I value your advice you can't imagine how many times I have been told to get rid of it by ex wife and even new girlfriend but I know it has value and will only increase in value down the road so I guess what I need to find out is what restoration entails what makes it valuable what not to do to harm the value like I said the rear fenders were already cut the front seats were gone but still has rear seat its very pain jane original color was red and white witch was faded to a pink so I covered it in probaly not smart but pink was too much for me. When I get home I will post some pics as I'm doing this on my blackberry now thanks again for any advice you can give

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
".....I need to find out what restoration entails.."

Yep.., sadly many folks take a stock rig, do a paint job, put on chrome rims & seat covers & try to sell it as "restored". [-(

This just gives the whole process a bad name.

Hmmmmm.., if you have an "X"..., a new girlfriend, and a daughter..., you'll need a 2nd job.. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (and a big shop) >:D< <'>

A complete RESTO will cost in the neighborhood of +- $15,000 and that's depending on how much you do yourself.

Check me on this but I think if you swap engines..., it's no longer a resto.

There was a TV show that did a resto & I think the sponsor of this board helped them. You might be able to get a copy of that show fr. them. (JBG)

Best of luck...!

B

OP
OP
K

kybronco68

Reaction score
Hey now lol

Ihave been a busy boy! Just had that conversation that I could sink more money into it than I could get back she doesn't get the concept of the fact that I paid 1100.00 for it and now its a collectible we guys have a tough road justifying our toys but I keep trying!

Oh I have a garage and I'm an owner operator trucker

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
A "restoration" is returning a vehicle to the condition and with the same equipment it left the factory with. A "numbers matching" vehicle has the same engine,trans, rear member, and frame/ unibody, and carries a greater value.

One of the most important items on your Bronc, ( or any vehicle.) Is the code tag or plate. It has the code for all the equipment and options on the vehicle. For the most part a vehicle restored to matching codes will demand the greatest price.

Hope this clears it up a little.

BTW: If the "significant other" just doesn't get it, Ask her if she wants some old diamond earings you bought at an estate sale, or some brand new cubic zerconia stuff from WalMart.

Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke