What do the members of Broncozone think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hms79

Reaction score
Hey, all. Haven't posted here in a long time.

What do you all think?

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/3276275819.html

It is a little rough around the edges. Cracked windshield, cracked grille, driver's side front fender is beat up, a few touch up spots that are a little faded. Runs great, shifts good, everything works. Tires are about 85%, body has no rust. Asking $3000, might come down.

Bronco Custom 4.9L 5 speed What do you all think??

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I think it is too much $

I would have to inspect EVERYTHING bec the seller wrote, "NOthing wrong with it, just wanting something different" BUT FAILED to mention "Cracked windshield, ..., driver's side front fender is beat up" and whatever else the seller is not addressing.

Also, ask for a long test drive;

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:

- oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet® Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge and undercoat/paint by Ford

- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - our's leaked @ 50k miles & again just recently - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp overnight

- tranny - look for good shifts, clutch operation

- see the maintenance records; fluids/filter;

or on-line dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc. at Ford myford.fordvehicles.com (need VIN) & must register if you haven't already for your other Fords.

- rust in inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars and bottom of tailgate (fender lips are rusting due to Ford's flawed spot weld process on the inner (tub) and 1/4 panel that lets moisture & debris in the seam) - A Bronco may need extensive & $$$ patch or full panel replacements...

check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass

- radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings

- ball joints.. costly if not DIY

Car Fax is ok, but they did NOT list over $5k in single accident damages on 3 of our past vehicles; & our ex-92 Van had less mileage listed than when we sold it according to a CarFax report 2 years later... they did nothing after we contacted them.

- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.

- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)

- emissions air check valve & cat. converter (AIR) tubes tend to rust early; as does the AIR tube; buy locally or from pciinc.com

- radiator core supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side, PIA to replace

- body mounts and frame rust

do a SELF TEST - my pal BroncoJoe at

a Self Test by BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

- transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually usually a broken travel stop or the motor connector is fouled, etc.

Also the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning

If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that someone removed it.

GL!

Captain D

Reaction score
Hey, all. Haven't posted here in a long time.

What do you all think?

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/3276275819.html

It is a little rough around the edges. Cracked windshield, cracked grille, driver's side front fender is beat up, a few touch up spots that are a little faded. Runs great, shifts good, everything works. Tires are about 85%, body has no rust. Asking $3000, might come down.

Bronco Custom 4.9L 5 speed What do you all think??

OP
OP
H

hms79

Reaction score
yo,

I think it is too much $

I would have to inspect EVERYTHING bec the seller wrote, "NOthing wrong with it, just wanting something different" BUT FAILED to mention "Cracked windshield, ..., driver's side front fender is beat up" and whatever else the seller is not addressing.

Also, ask for a long test drive;

Besides the usual visual, driveability and leak checks, look for:

- oil pan rust - our's formed spots @ 62k miles - sand it down and prime/paint it w/Rust Bullet® Automotive) & high temp. paint - too time-consuming replacement for such a basic thing as not having better gauge and undercoat/paint by Ford

- radiator plastic side seam leaks, esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight - our's leaked @ 50k miles & again just recently - look for leaks after engine has cooled down, esp overnight

- tranny - look for good shifts, clutch operation

- see the maintenance records; fluids/filter;

or on-line dealer service record summaries (Ford is adding entries now), etc. at Ford myford.fordvehicles.com (need VIN) & must register if you haven't already for your other Fords.

- rust in inner rear fender lips, bottom of B pillars and bottom of tailgate (fender lips are rusting due to Ford's flawed spot weld process on the inner (tub) and 1/4 panel that lets moisture & debris in the seam) - A Bronco may need extensive & $$$ patch or full panel replacements...

check tg drains for clogs/rust..check weather seals, esp the outer ws on glass

- radius arm bushing deterioration (I coated em w/pure silicone, from day 1) but replaced at 80k miles w/Daystar polyurethane bushings

- ball joints.. costly if not DIY

Car Fax is ok, but they did NOT list over $5k in single accident damages on 3 of our past vehicles; & our ex-92 Van had less mileage listed than when we sold it according to a CarFax report 2 years later... they did nothing after we contacted them.

- cracked exhaust manifold/Y, etc.

- roof/gutter area cracks (mostly appl. to earlier years)

- emissions air check valve & cat. converter (AIR) tubes tend to rust early; as does the AIR tube; buy locally or from pciinc.com

- radiator core supports, lower, it rusts mainly on passenger side, PIA to replace

- body mounts and frame rust

do a SELF TEST - my pal BroncoJoe at

a Self Test by BroncoJoe19

http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__pid__74587__mode__threaded

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

- transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area; usually usually a broken travel stop or the motor connector is fouled, etc.

Also the Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on when the electronic engine control system is not working properly. The check engine warning indicator comes on briefly when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON, and should turn off when the engine starts. If the check engine warning indicator does not come on when the ignition switch lock cylinder is turned to ON or if it comes on while the vehicle is moving, the system is malfunctioning

If the CEL does not light up at all when starting it; then suspect that someone removed it.

GL!
I am beginning to agree. miesk, you may know about the other one I am now considering, clifton from over on FSB.com has his for sale. While it needs some work,it seems like a better deal.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/3282930336.html

90bronco86

Reaction score
I am beginning to agree. miesk, you may know about the other one I am now considering, clifton from over on FSB.com has his for sale. While it needs some work,it seems like a better deal.

http://carbondale.craigslist.org/cto/3282930336.html
Unless he has a brand new crate motor with paperwork I wouldn't even consider that price, it looks like it was in a front end collision and I may be wrong but it also looks like the exhaust is hanging off the back. This is compared to what prices are down here tho.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo H,

Yes, I saw that ad by Clifton. I wuold have to pass. I see he mentions "...does 2nd gear scratches, and 3rd gear chirps...?..."

He did write in that Forum on 04-02-2012; "...how to straighten a frame, just a smidgen;

any one got an idea? the pass side frame horn is about 3/4 of an inch higher than the drivers, and its making fender and bumper alignment tough..."

In case he comes downa LOT more; you could measure the frame for damage by using this

Dimensions Diagram in a 90

Source: by kylecoz88 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/910082

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

hms79

Reaction score
miesk, what do you think a fair price would be? The 4.9L Custom guy only came down to $2600, which is still way too high I think. But Clifton said drive it and make him an offer. The frame thing doesn't really bother me that much, as this will just be a toy. However I do want to put it back together and drive it some. He and I spoke on the phone last night about an hour, and he was open about the frame issue. Here in southern Illinois even rust bucket Broncos seem to demand $3000.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I have no idea of a fair price for you; a price if I bought it would be around $500.00 because of;

MAINLY I would need more $ to straighten frame, align it; repair any internal tranny damage if not an ez mechanical or electrical fix; match all 4 tires in size (Actual inflated Overall Diameter) so as not to ***** transfer case, etc,

tranny, altho rebuilt awhile ago has some issues;

State Police would pull me over and tow it to impound lot if caught driving it home from Clifton's area.

Frame if left as is, despite not needing to install bumper, etc. right away may wear those tires down quickly

Also, handling may be off too much even for a weekend toy

He also mentioned in another thread; 4 new tires, one odball all are goodyear wrangler rt-s,(295/75/15) except one on right rear its just a reg. wrangler all have just a maybe 5k miles on them.

First things first it has 5,500 miles on an overhaul and its now out of warranty so taking it back to the shop and having them fix it is now not an option.

So on to the problem, it performs just fine until at operating temps and then some changes are noticed.

Got codes 29, 56, 94, 99

1. overdrive will feel like it doesnt lock up the converter completely. RPM'S run about 2100 @ 60mph normally, and after operating temps reached it runs 2600 rpm's @ 60mph

I got code 94 for this problem, 94= converter clutch solenoid circuit failure.

2. When driving in town approx 20-30 mph and coasting and accellerating it will rev slightly like its in neatral for a moment then slam into gear.

I think codes 29 and 99 apply to this here.code 29= insufficient input from vehicle speed sensor. (speedometer works perfect, but the cruise has recently stopped working. all fuses are good).

Code 99=electronic pressure control circuit failure.

I gave him the info on the Codes he found, but no response from him on it.

the only thing wrong with it now is the abs light and brake lights are on, the cruise doesnt work (thinkin it related) just havent dicked with it. its not a dd for me.

its got some rust over the rear wheel wells, and some fender damage from a blow out a year ago I'll show ya

OP
OP
H

hms79

Reaction score
So, it sounds like the tranny may have been abused some. Now I am at a loss for what to do? I keep getting told to keep looking, but after 5 years, I am not having much luck. Bronco's are becoming harder to find for cheap around here.

OP
OP
H

hms79

Reaction score
Hey, all

Got the 4.9L 5 speed 1990 Bronco, talked the guy down to $2200, so I got it. Runs good, needs a little work. I probably paid too much, but I don't care! Finally got what I wanted. I am gonna have this one for life!

Thepossumface

Reaction score
I said that about my 96 till everything broke..front axle snaped,wheel bearing seized broke the hubs in half, rear end leaking, every single sensor went out at one time. I said "enough" and sold it for 1800

never get in to deep...i paid 6 grand for mine NEVER will I pay that much for a car again!! haha but keep it clean and mataine it and you will be fine..plus the 6 is way better than a 302..

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, all

Got the 4.9L 5 speed 1990 Bronco, talked the guy down to $2200, so I got it. Runs good, needs a little work. I probably paid too much, but I don't care! Finally got what I wanted. I am gonna have this one for life!
YO HMS,

Great! GL with it!

We feel the same for our 96 that we bought new. Only thAngs that will have us buy another vehicle as a DD will be GAS unavailability and secondly, gas prices over $8.00 a gallon

Have fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke