74 Bronco dies when I slow down, want idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RNichols

Reaction score
I had my bronco running good,and it was running before it quit, I slow down to make a turn and it died. It crank back up and will continue to crank at half throttle, but dies at idle. It sounds like its missfiring, sputtering like, but it excelarates smooth from half throttle on. What do I need to check? 302,auto,stock

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi RN..,

A couple possibilities come to mind.

One being the idle curcuit inside the carb. has some crud in it.

Another would be an obvious vacuum leak.

A weak fuel pump. (fuel dribbles out bottom of pump)

Least likely may be a flooding issue. (sticky needle & seat &/or float.)

OP
OP
R

RNichols

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, the filter was replaced a year ago,I did take it off and could see through the screen in side. The vacuum hose has been replaced, and since it would'nt idle I wasnt able to check for a leak by myself. The carb was rebuilt a year ago, but it could have developed a problem inside. new fuel pump & it dosnt leak.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
YEP.., runn'n good in all conditions except idle.., it's not likely elect. soooo., it's an air leak or fuel starvation at idle.

Do fill-in your sig. page.... it helps us find clues.. >:D< <'>

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey R,

As Bully said, most likely there is some restriction in the idle and off idle circuits. This is actually not uncommon after a carb rebuild, if the gaskets are squeezed just a little too much then after time a small sliver of gasket material will break off and slip into a jet or orafice...and we are talking really small, like the tip of a toothpick. That is all it takes to get these kind of problems.

On rare occations I have witnessed the obstruction clearing on a highspeed run, or a few seconds of WOT. Admitedly it is rare, but if you want to try it, get on the highway and pick a gear that will run the engine rpm at 3000-3500rpm. Only for maybe a mile or so, and be careful and aware of other traffic.

If it doesn't help, "open carb surgery" is needed.

Good Luck

OP
OP
R

RNichols

Reaction score
No, it want idle. It will run at a slite excelleration, but it lopes. If I excellerate hard and let off it back fires.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
I had my bronco running good,and it was running before it quit, I slow down to make a turn and it died. It crank back up and will continue to crank at half throttle, but dies at idle. It sounds like its missfiring, sputtering like, but it excelarates smooth from half throttle on. What do I need to check? 302,auto,stock
all these darn old broncos are fuel sensetive clean out your tank blow out your carb change the fuel filters clean out your pump and it will run all day

rustyoldbronco

Reaction score
I was having a simular problem after my stock carb was rebuilt.It kept stalling in turns etc.I got fed up and went to that new Holley Truck avenger.I was never a Holley guy.Ive used 2100's and Quadrajets.That holley has run really smooth.I went real small though,I think its a 425cfm.Donn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22