88 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxxyank

Reaction score
Hey guys, i got a great question for you guys. I been searching for info everywhere, I am still not sure, so i'm going to ask...

I am basically parting out the guts of an 88 EB bronco with a 5.0... The vehicle has unbelievable low miles (you can actually chart the mileage with the inspection papers i got)62,000. So it's for sale and a guy i know called me up and wanted to know if it would work in his 95 bronco (he has over 250,000 miles on his 5.0) and it's making lifter noise...

I said I don't think so... If I'm correct, his 95 is a 5.0 **, so the firing order is different? (His firing order is the same as a 5.8 correct?) So he asked me what would be involved? Like i would know :unsure: The only thing i said, was i thought the cam would have to be changed out, to the style like he has in his ** and beyond that i don't really know... of course swapping everything else on the top...

But is that it?

Thanks a head of time for replying.

OP
OP
Xxxyank

Xxxyank

Reaction score
So i guess a little more searching... The 88 5.0 doesn't have rolling rockers, so updating the heads would be a good idea, with new hydrolic lifters and rollin rockers

OP
OP
Xxxyank

Xxxyank

Reaction score
or just rewire the 95 fuel injection harness to a 1,5,4,2,6,3,7,8 and be done with it? That is if his bronco only has 1 oxygen sensor and not two (one from each bank)? An keep the ignition firing order the same at the distributor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey 3X,

Why do all that? The guy is better off getting another 5.0 in the year he has or rebuilding what he has.

Trying to get a motor and "Frakenstein" it is just asking for all sorts of problems. ( see "help needed in post engine swap mess" in the 80-96 tech section.)

Sell that Motor to someone with a late 80s 5.0 Mustang.

Good Luck

OP
OP
Xxxyank

Xxxyank

Reaction score
Yup sounds like a good idea. I been following along with that thread. It's amazing the work he is going trying to get it set up, i'm just glad i ain't doing it. LOL

I still think it could be done, I mean swapping everything from one motor to the other. Then rewiring the fuel injection so it fires with the older style cam. If there where two oxgen sensors, as in one for each bank, then i could see an issue... But the 95 5.0 even with an **, still just runs one O2 sensor, tied into the exhaust just before the cat.

But I'm not going to do it, i told the guy and i don't think he wants to do it either.

Anyways i'm glad somebody at least responded to my question. I was just starting to think, i smelled or something.. :unsure:

:)>-

AdamDude04

Reaction score
How much you looking for the motor?

I am about to slap a new one in my 89 (334k miles on it now) and getting it fully restored. But if I can skip the $4k for a new crate motor from ford for a decent direct swap I may go that route.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Here ya go from the Bronco/Ford truck & stang EFI guru

EFI Swap Using a “High-Output” Engine PCM with a non-** Engine Camshaft; "...Firing order does not effect spark at the plugs because that is still determined by what order you put the plug wires on the distributor cap. But if you have a sequential fire fuel injection computer, then the computer program opens the injectors in the same order as the camshaft timing. This can cause issues when running a “High-Output” computer with an older camshaft. If you leave the injectors in the ** order you might notice a slight effect on idle quality. There are no effects once the engine speed picks up because the injectors open so fast.

firing-order.gif

There are 2 ways to correctly fix a computers mismatched firing order:

1. The best option is to change to a ** camshaft to match the computer.

2. Or you can reprogram the computer to match the cam firing order. Other people with mismatched computers swap the injector pins at the computer plug. This causes more problems than it's worth because of the computers Adaptive Fuel Strategy. An example of how the computer deals with mixed up injectors: 1. The R O2 sensor sends a rich signal to the computer. 2. The computer will then shorten the pulse width to Right side of the engine. But two of those injectors have been MOVED to the Left side of the engine!

3. Because 2 of the injectors that have been directed to minimize the injector pulse are now on the other side of the engine, this causes the left side of the engine to run lean.

4. So now the L O2 will send the lean signal to the computer.

5. The computer will then lengthen the pulse width to Left side of the engine. But two of those injectors have been MOVED to the Right side of the engine!

6. So now the R O2 sends another rich signal to the computer.

7. Cycle repeats, each time getting worse. You end up with 1, 2, 5 & 7 running 25% rich, and 3, 4, 6 & 8 running 25% lean! Therefore it is strongly discouraged to mix around the fuel injectors..."

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=92

OP
OP
Xxxyank

Xxxyank

Reaction score
Don't mind the rust but let me show you the pictures of the 95 5.0 engine bay... It really only has 1 O2 sensor... You can see it sitting between the two exhaust pipes before the cat. There is NO O2 senor on either exhaust manifold.. So the 95 5.0 has no certain bank measurement, it takes the total exhaust measurement of oxygen from both banks at the 1 O2 sensor, then adjusts both banks at the same time.

picture-049.jpg

I guess you have to enlarge the picture to see it...

But as i said before, i do think if all you did was swap the fuel injectors around to the correct firing order that it would work... Now if this system utilized two O2 (one for each bank)sensors, you would have problems. This one doesn't...

OP
OP
Xxxyank

Xxxyank

Reaction score
How much you looking for the motor?

I am about to slap a new one in my 89 (334k miles on it now) and getting it fully restored. But if I can skip the $4k for a new crate motor from ford for a decent direct swap I may go that route.
I'll tell you what Adam... If this next guy doesn't come and get the motor & trans for 800... I'll let you have both the engine and trans for 600, you can even take the speedometer that shows the engine & trans true mileage... But you going have to make the arrangements to get it here in NC.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke