Bronco Revs To High in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mud Mee 2.0 :)

Reaction score
ok im new to this website but i have had my 79 bronco for about a year now and the engine revs to high in park then when i shift it calms down perfect.

does anybody have any ideas on what i can try to fix this

Seabronc

Reaction score
What do you mean by too high? What does it settle down to in drive? Normal revs for an engine with an auto trany in drive is around 550 to 650 RPM. In order to do that the park and neutral revs will be around 1,100 RPM. Hot idle is adjusted where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle plate. There should be a spring loaded ***** there. If you want to reduce the revs back it out about a 1/4 turn at a time and test it by putting it in drive and reverse in between adjustments. Also, when you get it to about where you want it, give it a road trial to make sure it won't stall when stopping at a traffic signal. Adjusty it till you are comfortable with the driving response to stopping and idling at a stop.

Good luck,

:)>-

Please provide your truck vitals in your signature for more accurate responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdamDude04

Reaction score
All my vehicles idle high at first then simmer down. But I'm going to assume this is after the truck is warmed up too??

my 5.0 Bronco always starts out around 1,600rpm then slowly bumps down (about 2 minutes) to roughly 800rpm. In gear its around 600.

Seabronc

Reaction score
All my vehicles idle high at first then simmer down. But I'm going to assume this is after the truck is warmed up too??

my 5.0 Bronco always starts out around 1,600rpm then slowly bumps down (about 2 minutes) to roughly 800rpm. In gear its around 600.
Right, this is a carbed engine, but yah on the cold idle, that is a separate adjustment and I made the assumption that he was talking about idle after it warmed up. On your engine the idle is controlled by the computer.

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno