no power from a stop on a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanapfel

Reaction score
Long story short. If I'm backing out of my steep driveway I barly have to touch the gas to back it up the driveway. But if I back into the driveway and try to drive it out front ways, I have to give it almost a full pedal to get it up the driveway. Same thing if I stop at a stop sign on a hill. Takes alot to get going. Engine sounds strong but just doesn't want to go. I was thinking it was the torque converter but I didn't wanna go ripping my tranny out on a guess. Thanks for the ideas in advance

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Sounds like a trip to a tranny shop. I'm far from a tranny expert, but it sounds like the Forward clutches are probably shot.

Have you checked the fluid level? Does it smell bad? When was the tranny last serviced?

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
I dropped the pan and changed tge fluid when i got it. (2 months ago) so it should still be good. And there was no metal in the pan. I didnt mess with the converter when i did that though.

Krafty

Reaction score
a bad seal would allow fluid to get onto the clutches and cause the foreward slip, a bad converter would cause problems in all gears including reverse.

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
Would reverse be less noticeable because its a smaller, more torquy gear then 1st gear? I guess i was a little misleading when i said it was fine in reverse. What i should havr said was its BETTER in reverse.

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
I did a little test. I dont know if ot was acuate or not but i drove the truck to the curb in drive and climbed the curb and watched my highest rpm. Then did the same in reverse. They were pretty close to the same. Reverse was about 100 lower. 1800vs1700rpms.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Broncos are heavy. They will need a stout first gear to get moving. The question is, does the engine rev. without the truck moving, or moving very slowly? If this is happening, I would have to think the trans fluid would be burnt and smell bad.

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
It revs and slowly moves. Just feels like the engine is working more than the speed im moving. If that makes sence. Im gonna replace the torque converter tomorrow just hoping that's the problem. The only reason im going to do that is because i have a rear main leak aswell that im gonna takr care if at the same time

Rons beast

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, and maybe save some money. Take it to a tranny shop and get their diagnosis. You could spend the money for a TC, and not need one. It may be the pump or as Krafty said a fluid leak past other seals.

It's not wise to just throw parts on and see what happens....unless you have the time and money to waste.

Good Luck

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
isnt it a good idea to replace the tc after 135k miles on it anyway. even if i get a tranny rebuild i figured id be getting a new tc at the same time anyway.

Rons beast

Reaction score
The TC doesn't wear like the internals in the tranny. Yes If I was getting a tranny rebuild I would get a new TC also. The thing is to find the problem, and repair the problem rather than throw parts at it and see what works.

Maybe since you're young you don't mind pulling a trans, replacing a convertor, and then finding it doesn't fix the problem and you need to pull the tranny . Us older guys would like to work less.

Since you need to replace a rear seal, I would get a tranny shop to give me a diagnosis. I would then ask for pricing for them doing the whole job, ( see if they would do the seal for you at a reduced price or for free.). A price for them doing the tranny with a convertor. And A price for them rebuilding the tranny if you bring it to them.

Some places have rebuilds on the shelf, and will sell you one with an exchange. It could be alot cheeper since you are doing all the labor.

Good Luck

Krafty

Reaction score
im with ron, i would rather get it diagnosed by a professional than remove the trans even once more than necessary. also your converter has a stall of about 1800 rpm so the results for your "curb" test is normal.

OP
OP
R

ryanapfel

Reaction score
I just feel like all those places try to ***** you to make money. I dont know any place that id trust around me. I know no matter what the problem is their gonna say i need a new tranny. This economy has made people shady. Any advice on finding a place that wont f me over?

Rons beast

Reaction score
You got a truck that is 24 years old. I wouldn't trust any place that didn't suggest you get a new tranny. Truth is when a vehicle that old and with high milage has a problem, the prudent thing to do is replace or rebuild the entire component. If you try to replace one thing and disturb other components the chance is great that another failure will follow soon.

Ask the shop to check and diagnose what your problem is. Don't go in and ask for a new tranny. That way if they install a new tranny and it doesn't fix the problem you have a darn good argument. Ask about the warranty, and pick a place that has a good warranty with a fair price.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo