Need help with 3 ***** hub disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazikowski

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing the wheel bearings on my 1996 Eddie Bower edition Bronco. I have the 3 ***** hub cap. I've gotten as far as removing the cap but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the retainer ring holding the inner cap (doubt that's the right name for it) in. In the attached picture, the part I'm trying to remove is circled. I have found the little notch in the ring, but how do I actually remove it?

I'm trying to get this done before a trip this weekend, so any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

IMAG0257.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo mazikowski,

WELCOME!

I use pick tools (dental pick type) avail @ Wal Mart, etc.

3 ***** to Warn® & Bearing in a 96 w/tool list

Source: by Scott http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2143953/1996-ford-bronco/page-4

Front Wheel Bearing & Spindle Installation in a 96; w/Links Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums w/torques

3 Hole Cap ***** Hubs, You Must Purchase Corresponding Spindle Nut Conversion Kit; note H; "When Replacing Automatic 3 Hole Cap ***** Hubs, You Must Purchase Corresponding Spindle Nut Conversion Kit"

Source: by Warn® http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/premium_application_chart.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmo

Reaction score
useing brake cleaner get all the grease out from around the area between the outer and inner pieces. with a flashlight look into the gap and locate the ends of the snapring. this is where you will need a pick in the shape of a "L". apply light pressure on the gray alluminum part it will not move much, maybe 1/8", use the L pick to reach behind the snap ring end and wiggle the pick to get the ring to start comming out of its groove remove the ring releas the pressure from the center piece and it will come out. replace with manual hubs or at the very least go back with the 5 ***** hubs. they use a different typy snap ring that is much easier to get out and back in

Last edited by a moderator:

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing the wheel bearings on my 1996 Eddie Bower edition Bronco. I have the 3 ***** hub cap. I've gotten as far as removing the cap but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the retainer ring holding the inner cap (doubt that's the right name for it) in. In the attached picture, the part I'm trying to remove is circled. I have found the little notch in the ring, but how do I actually remove it?

I'm trying to get this done before a trip this weekend, so any help or tips are greatly appreciated!
Just saw this, did you ever figure it out? >:) -Kevin-

OP
OP
M

mazikowski

Reaction score
I was able to get them out using a pick, it just took a lot of work. As stated, it helps to push the hub in some (about 1/8") to relieve the pressure on the retainer ring. Once I got the pick behind the ring just enough to get the tip free the ring popped right out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo