Throttle position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lotus

Reaction score
Hi!

I have had some bad performance since i bought the car a while ago.

The CEL lamp has also been lightning up as well.

Reading the codes give me:

The errorcodes are: 63,63

The memorycodes are: 31,63,31

63=TPS sensor?

31= EGR valve position. ?

Is TPS sensor a common error on 89Bronco's 5.0?

Where is this located in the engineroom?

Since the EGR error is a memorycode i am not going to do anything about it for now..... :-"

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Lotus,

DTC 63 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage too low; Bad or misadjusted TPS, TB base idle mis-set; binding throttle cable. Suspect open TP sensor, or wiring/harness issues such as connector/terminal corrosion, etc.

A NON-Ford NEW TPS failure is sad to say, a common nuisance; I had a new switch fall apart in my hands recently, as well as other crapola parts from CH...

TPS is located on the end of the throttle shaft on the throttle body (TB)

tps-installed.jpg

pic by SeattleBronco

Also TSB 89-14-07 TPS Screws

Publication Date: JULY 14, 1989

FORD: 1983-89 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, TEMPO, THUNDERBIRD

1984-89 ******

1986-89 TAURUS

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1983-89 CONTINENTAL, COUGAR, GRAND MARQUIS, MARK VII, TOPAZ, TOWN CAR

1984-87 LYNX

MERKUR: 1985-89 ALL MERKUR LINES

LIGHT TRUCK: 1983-89 ALL LIGHT TRUCK LINES

ISSUE: All Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) mounting screws have a "Pozidrive" head. The "Pozidrive" head looks a lot like a Phillips ***** head. Use of a Phillips head screwdriver to remove a "Pozidrive" ***** will normally result in a rounded or damaged ***** head. Many technicians think it is an overtorqued or "frozen" *****. An adhesive was also used as a thread sealant starting with the 1988 model year. This adhesive requires still more effort to loosen and remove the *****.

ACTION: To prevent rounded or damaged ***** heads when servicing the TPS mounting screws, technicians should always use a #2 "Pozidrive" screwdriver.

READ MORE & See Diagrams

by miesk5 @ http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__st__40

==========

Testing in 5.0 & 5.8; "...Symptoms of a BAD TPS: The one thing that you can definitely count on, when the TPS fails, is the Check Engine Light shining nice and bright to let you know that there's a Diagnostic Trouble Code stored in the Fuel Injection Computer. Here are some specific symptoms you'll see: 1.TPS Diagnostic Trouble Codes: (DTC’s) stored in the vehicle’s computer’s memory. Code 23: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem. Code 53: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input. Code 63: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input. Code 121: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Performance Problem. Code 122: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit Low Input. Code 123: Throttle Position (TP) Circuit High Input. 2.Really BAD gas mileage. 3.No power as you accelerate the vehicle. 4.Hesitation when you step on the Accelerator Pedal. There are times when the ECM (Electronic Control Module = Fuel Injection Computer) will think the TPS has failed when it hasn't. This usually happens when the ECM spits out several Diagnostic Trouble Codes at once.. and so what will save you time, money and the frustration of replacing good parts, is to test the Throttle Position Sensor..." READ MORE

Source: by easyautodiagnostics.com @ http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_tps_4.9L_5.0L_5.8L/bad_tps_test_1.php

Location & Replacement pics by Xris at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/5183/29981http://broncozone.com/topic/14269-code-reader/page__st__40

via Chilton for your year

1.Disconnect the TP sensor wiring harness.

2.On 5.0L and 5.8L engines, it may be necessary to remove the throttle body. On all other engines proceed to the next step.

3.Disconnect the wiring from the sensor.

4.Matchmark the TP sensor and throttle body. Remove the 2 retaining screws and the sensor

WARNING

Slide the rotary tangs into position over the throttle shaft blade, then rotate the TP sensor CLOCKWISE only to the installed position. Failure to follow this step may result in high idle speeds for 5.0L and 5.8L engines.

5.On 5.0L and 5.8L engines, position the TP sensor so that the pigtail points toward the IAC valve.

6.Secure the TP sensor to the throttle body with the retaining screws. Tighten to 18-27 inch lbs. (2-3 Nm) on 4.9L engines or 11-16 inch lbs. (1.2-1.8 Nm) on 5.0L/5.8L engines.

7.If applicable, install the throttle body.

8.Connect the wiring.

9.Connect the negative battery cable

85tpsdepiction.gif

85tpspic.gif

Attachments

• 85tpsdepiction.gif
    85tpsdepiction.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 85tpspic.gif
    85tpspic.gif
    121 KB · Views: 1

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

DTC 31 "...This code could be caused by several different factors. If the pintle position sensor (Ford calls it the EVP sensor) is shorted or open, you could have a code set. If the EGR valve becomes carboned up and does not seat fully, the EVP sensor gives a high reading and a code is set. If the diaphragm of the EGR valve is bad, then it, too, is flagged..."

Source: by Harry G

DTC 31 "...in most case is set due to a bad EVP (EGR position sensor) mounted on top of the EGR valve. Check the voltage of the EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor on the Brown/Light Green (BR/LG) wire with the key on, engine off. Normal closed valve voltage will indicate 0.35-0.50 volts. When the EGR valve is opened with a hand-held vacuum pump, the sensor voltage should increase. If the EVP voltage is incorrect and it does not move when the valve is opened, verify that the Brown/White (BR/W) wire indicates 5.0 volts and the Grey/Red (GY/R) wire is a good ground to the sensor. If the EVP sensor voltage is out of range with the valve closed but increases when the EGR valve is opened, adjust the EVP sensor voltage so that it indicates 0.40 volts with the valve closed. Once the code 31 is resolved with the EVP sensor voltage, monitor the O2 sensor operation when the vehicle is driven to determine that the pinging condition and buck/**** symptom is a result of lean running. Check Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor Hz. A normal Key On Engine Off (KOEO) reading will indicate 156-159 Hz at sea level elevations. Verify fuel pressure is good. Fuel pressure should be 30-33 PSI at idle and increase to 40 PSI when brake-torquing the engine. Check base ignition timing to verify it is at 10 degrees BTDC. Check ignition timing with the Spark Output (SPOUT) connected. Timing should be 20-25 degrees BTDC at idle. If timing advance is low, check the harmonic balancer for slippage..."

Source: by Ron

Location pic in an 89 5.0 (part of his valve cover and oil pan gasket job); Miesk5 Note EVP is light gray & attached to the top of the EGR Valve

Source: by Waltman at change-oil-pan-gasket-and-valve-cover-gasket-024.jpg

Then I removed the egr pipe from the egr.

BE CAREFUL HERE. USE PENETRATING FLUID HERE PRIOR TO REMOVAL. i BROKE ONE ON MY LAST BRONCO AND I HAD TO BUY A NEW ONE FROM THE DEALER FOR ALMOST $100

more EVP Info LINKS in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=414

such as;

Testing & Operation; "...The EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor monitors the position of the EGR valve pintle. The EVP sensor converts the mechanical movement of the pintle into an electrical voltage signal which is relayed to the PCM. The EVP sensor is a linear potentiometer in which resistance varies with the EGR valve pintle movement.Voltage is fed to the EVP by the signal return circuit. As the EGR is opened the EVP directs more voltage to the EEC and less down the voltage reference circuit. The EVP sensor provides the PCM with information on EGR flow and EGR system failures. The EVP should read between 0.24 and 0.67 volts at idle with a closed EGR valve..." read more

Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=35

Wiring Diagram in an 89

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at bronco-1989-eec--pg-42.gif

===

btw for More TPS info LINKS see my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=137

OP
OP
L

Lotus

Reaction score
Changing the sensor cleared a lot of problems. >:D< <'>

Low rpm,bad performance,heavy pedal feeling and sudden stalling.

Its like a new car. :)>-

CEL lamp is now long gone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar