mpg upgrades ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronco5.8

Reaction score
hey guys are there any good mpg upgrades for the broncos i all ready have done e3 plugs,throttle body spacer,ported and polished heads,headers and dummy cats and a smog delete all I can get out of her seems to be 14 city and 17 highway dut that was with the e4od and since it died I am doing the Zf5 swap I would like to do them while i already have it apart

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Reduce weight.. of the the Bronco

I have always factored in any cost to improve MPG in the overall $ "savings".

Free:

reducing weight (of the Bronco and toold, accessories and ... passengers; driver's get a pass)

proper tire pressure

ensure that brakes are not dragging

driving style/ light foot

check for trouble codes

Cost Items:

alignment

COLD air intake - insulate air intake from grille area to throttle body.

AND BY Crown Auto Parts Inc.;

"Under inflated tires Increase rolling resistance 1-2 mpg;

Dirty air filter Causes excessively rich fuel/air mixture 2.0 mpg;

Worn spark plugs Cause inefficient combustion, wasted fuel 2.0 mpg;

Worn O2 sensor Unable to detect and adjust air/fuel mixture 3 mpg;

Dirty or substandard engine oil Increases internal engine friction 0.4 mpg;

Loose gas cap Allows fuel to evaporate 2.0 mpg;

Potential loss in fuel economy if all of the above were neglected 11.4 mpg..."

& more Items that Cost $:

Project M.P.G. in a Centurion 460; miesk5 Note, Results are Comparable to Tests in other Ford Engines

Source: by performanceunlimited.com http://performanceunlimited.com/projectmpg/

MPGuino started out as an impressive use of the Arduino platform to monitor a vehicle's fuel consumption or MPG (Miles per Gallon). One that will actually pay for itself too.

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
Get rid of those E3's because they will flag a check engine light and when they do you'll have no idea what it is for. Throw in a set of regular old Autolite 24's or Motorcraft non-platinum's and don't worry about the expensive ones. Put a new cap and rotor on and a higher volt coil about 48,000 and a decent set of plug wires like 8.8mm or higher, gap the plugs to 55 and advance the timing to 13.5 Just make sure it doesn't "ping" when you drive it or you will need to back it off down to 13 or so. Here's a link man:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592&highlight=6litre+tune

Make sure your air filter is clean and the same with the fuel filter on the frame rail.Check your tire pressure like Al said because it really does make a big difference. Good Luck man... >:) -Kevin-

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
hahah, I have my f150 and a honda (wifes car) the honda is great for long trips but I still love my truck and would prefer to take it over the honda.

another factor to mileage is your tire size vs gear ratio. to big a tire on too long a ratio = bad mileage, too small a tire on too short a ratio = bad mileage.

also if your speedo hasn't been corrected to different sized tires then your odometer and trip meter will also be incorrect.

for example on my truck the speedo is off by 5km/h between 80 and 100 km/h (and up) so for every 100 km i drive the truck goes an extra 5 km, not much but after 760kms (472 miles) on one fill up it is actually 798 kms(495 miles) which makes a big difference on the mileage rating of the truck.

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
I will have to try that timing bump and see how it helps I have done all the other upgrades as for the E3's I have run them for the last 110K and have had no problems and they do make a difference a quick 2mpg upgrade and they will pay for them selves and the best upgrade i have found is the jet chip you get more power and mpg

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Smaller tires helps too if gearing is right. But if you put the same size tire on as your truck was factory equipped with, you'll probably won't gain much as they tend to already calculate that kind of stuff so their reporting MPG look better. Easier to push than slapping 35's an saying 13 hwy vs 31's 16 hwy.

But overall.. Not too much you can do to gain that much MPG.

But on a side note, technology is neat. My 01 Durango with the modern 4.7 - I was able to swap the TCM (Tranny Control computer) to one from an 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee which turned my 4 speed auto into a 5 speed. Went from 18mpg to 22mpg @70ish mph.

If I could get THOSE numbers in my Bronco.. I only got a 1mpg from a new exhaust system.

But yes, operating costs as another member posted.. if you really crunch the numbers, it's amazing how much vehicles cost!

Works great if you don't NEED a new vehicle (I love my 01 Durango, mint, fully loaded, runs perfect, no leaks and good power)

Cost.png

Xxxyank

Reaction score
I got a fresh 5.0 5spd, so i get pretty good mileage out of the box. I run 3:50 gear set up with 31.5/15 AT tires, so that keeps me in check. I use the e3 plugs and i chipped it with a Hypertech, i get a true 22 MPG hwy, as long as i'm not in 4wd. I been thinking of a cold ram intake, I'm not sold if it will make that much difference, unless i custom make it.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I don't see how you can get 22mpg..

But you said a fresh 5.0 so I'm guessing new? I'm about to get a new 5.0 from Ford so I'll be super excited if I can get that kind of MPG with a new motor backed by an AOD

Xxxyank

Reaction score
yup got it from ford, they gave me a great deal on a new crate motor, it has less then 10,000 miles on it now. I live really close to Roush Yates engines, i almost just had them build me one but instead i opted to go back factory. You see, i'm not into it for the horsepower, i just want something that will get out of it's own way with some real tires but was decent on gas, i never plan to pull anything. An I also replaced the M5OD-R2 5spd trans with a fresh rebuild... when i was breaking in the motor & trans everything was stock, i was around 17ish mpg. i wasn't really paying attention, the first 3000 miles, then i did a test run to the beach and i realized early spring last year, i was way down on my MPG. So i threw the e3 plugs in and chipped it... I drove the truck on a 2000 mile round trip to go snowmobiling in February and i was hitting 22 mpg with ease.

Now if your that guy, who has to run 75-80 mph everywhere you go? good luck on getting any decent MPG... but I just putt around and just keep up with traffic, if i wanted a sports car, I'd drive one.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
What year bronco? I'm assuming 92-96 as you said chipped.. I don't know much about those performance chips so don't mind my question (I seriously have no idea).

Well that's pretty dang good. I got a tad over 22mpg in my 01 Durango SLT+ with the 4.7 but I thank the TCM swap with an 03 jeep to give me 5speed auto vs the 4speed factory from dodge. And it's a delight! Sucks I only do city driving (put 1,400 miles on it in the last 8 months).

I can't wait to see what the Bronco will get when I drop a new crate in there. You mind my asking about how much it cost for the motor/labor (unless you did it yourself)?

I don't plan to do much with my Bronco. It'll get probably as much mileage as the Durango (less than 2k miles a year) and MAY pull a toy hauler or a smaller trailer for quads. But I think the factory 310hp 350tq from the new motor be more than enough.

Thankfully I'm buying a new Maxima so I don't have to worry too much more about MPG these days soon!

Xxxyank

Reaction score
as the guy above us stated, everything you do will make a difference for the most part. Weight, tire size to gear ratio is what throws most people off on 4x4's, then they try to hotrod it and wonder why they get terrible mileage. I bet i gain at least 3 mpg because of the chip.

I bought this truck specifically for long distance runs through the snow belt to go snowmobiling. I took into account gas mileage as a major concern. since my last truck i use to take snowmobiling was a 79 International Scout with a 392, even with a 4spd & geared at 3:55 with 31.5 inch tires, i could not crack 10mpg with it on the interstate. An i loved my scout but she is a distant memory, unfortunately.

So i have the 1995 5.0 5spd XL Bronco, unfortunately it was totaled about a month ago. So i'm in the process of swapping the whole drivetrain & including dash & harness, etc into another bronco which is a straight & rust free 88. I do my own work on my vehicles, I can't see it costing more the 1500 dollars to do just an engine swap. If your not concerned about the warranty, like i wasn't, you can do some real nice upgrades to the oil pump and pan. my oil pressure runs on the 3/4 mark constant with a 7qt pan and high volume pump. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />