will not start with the key ???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronco5.8

Reaction score
hey guys new problem on my brothers bronco its running fine but to start it for the last week its been really picky you have too move the gear shiftier around in park and it seemed to hit the sweet spot and start well even crank and now the thing will not start and it has a new solenoid and the switch well the bottom white thing and yes i did forget what its called but it starts fine wen you jump it across the solenoid neutral safety switch ? and if so I need to know how to jumper across mine for my zf5 swap anyway so if thats it i will just give him my old one thanks guys

Oh its a 93 Eddie with the 351 and e4od and push button 4x4

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I believe you are describing what Ford calls the Manual Lever Position/Transmission Range (MLPS/TR) Sensor

History;

As of 1994, the Neutral Safety Switch or Neutral Drive Switch (NDS) is referred to as a Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS) or Transmission Range (TR) Sensor (driver side of E4OD)

Adjustment Info

Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit)

"put it in neutral, loosen the bolts, and line up the marks."

mlps.jpg

MLPS shown is same for Bronco E4OD

Connector Pin-Out Diagram

Source: by Ryan M (FireGuy50) at http://oldfuelinjection.com/files/Trans_harness.gif The alternative is to back-

TR Signal (LB/Y) to Signal Return (Gy/R) resistance values:

P = 3770-4607 Ohms; R = 1304-1593 Ohms;

N = 660-807 Ohms; (D) = 361-442 Ohms;

2 = 190-232 Ohms;

1 = 78-95 Ohms.

or probe the MLP line with a volt meter while in Park, and set it to between 4.277 and 4.736 volts (ideally at 4.5065V, right in the middle of the two limits). As a "double-check" afterward, pull the lever down to 1st gear, and again test the MLP voltage; it should be between 0.293 and 1.167 volts, ideally in the middle at 0.73V. by SigEPblue

sensorvalues.jpg

TSB 95-2-12 E4OD Diagnostic Trouble Codes and/or Harsh Shift Concerns - Water Intrusion of the MLP/TR Sensor

Publication Date: JANUARY 30, 1995

LIGHT TRUCK:

1989-1994 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F-150-350 SERIES, F-47, F-53, F-59

ISSUE: Some vehicles may exhibit a shift concern and/or a harsh engagement concern due to water intrusion into the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness. There may also be a number of different DTC's along with those concerns.

ACTION: Replace the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness connector if signs of water penetration are evident. Refer to the following for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the customer concern. Perform normal on-board diagnostics. Inspect the MLP/TR Sensor for signs of water contamination. If water penetration is present and/or DTC's have been set, replace the MLP/TR sensor and the vehicle harness connector with the TR Sensor Service Kit (F5TZ-7A247-A).

The TR Service Kit contains:

One (1) TR Sensor

One (1) Connector Assembly

One (1) "Red" Pin Separator Plate

One (1) 6-Pin Grommet

One (1) 8-Pin Grommet

One (1) 7-Pin Grommet

One (1) Instruction Sheet

PART NUMBER: F5TZ-7A247-A

PART NAME: TR Sensor Service Kit

==

For your ZF Swap, jumper the two R/LB, (Start Circuit Output) wires....

if only one R/LB wire; then as BROCONCHO wrote; I left the E4OD harness in there and jumped it this way. Notice the position of the connector round to the left and squared to the right. So on the top side of the contector I jumped the two outer most pin's on the top row.

stp60063.jpg

I believe he jumpered the R/LG and W/Pk (pink) wires as ahown in this diagram by MIKEY

94-bronco-evtm--pg.-202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Thanks so i will give him my old one I have swapped one of these on my dads old F150 but it was a 2001 just line up the neutral marks and swap it ? and one more question how did you make you're reverse lights work and can i just plug the harness in to were the e4od harness comes off under the master cylinder thanks for the help miesk5

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Ok they made the same mistake I did wen i replaced mine they thought you had to replace the key and the Ignition Switch at the same time like we did on my dads old 84 250 so wen they were checking that the new switch worked right before the put it all back together they turned the switch too far back and to make it go forward my dad said he had to turn it kinda hard and it poped so they swapped the neutral safety switch and it was all the same problem so they went back to what they had touched to see what they had done and they pulled the ignition switch and pushed the pin forward and it started so they lined it up again and now it works but a new problem all the gauges work except the speedo dont know why they said they did not even touch it so I don't know on that one does that go out or do you think they did something and did not know that they did this is what they replaced Motorcraft - Ignition Switch and a key cylinder it worked fine except wen at odd times the keys would fall out of the switch it was a little worn but most of the time funny wen the keys fell out I have another speedo they are going to try tomorrow thanks for all the help

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

the speedo; Ford calls it in 92-96 as da Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module (PSOM), has no direct electrical or mechanical link to ign sw or MLPS

So when they R&R the ign sw, the PSOM connector could have been affected;

Check Fuses first; ck electrically for voltage on both sides of fuse/or pull and check continuity

check fuse 8 (15 amps) & 18 (10 amp)

if good;

have them pull cluster out slightly to check that it is connected

Connector Location, Behind Instrument Panel Diagram in 92-96, Page 1

Source: by Chilton http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/Ford/172/WD_Ford_172137.pdf

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo

Forgot about the back-ups

96BackupLamps.gif

6BackupLamps2.gif

see first diagram above

P/O (Backup Lamps Power Feed (Hot in RUN)) into MLPS and BK/PK out (Hot in REVERSE)

jumper P/O to BK/PK

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Hey guys i got home and started looking at the bronco and I forgot his has been converted to the floor shift wen the trans went out like 5 years ago and that trans came out of a bronco with a 302 and his has the 351 but my dad told me wen they did it he just stabbed the trans t-case and harness and all and he just plugged the the new harness in but the neutral safety switch is different does that have any thing to do with the speedo and the diagram looks a little different so i don't know if that has something to do with it ? I was going to swap them and jump the solenoid to start it but I don't know were they put it and Michael is not home from school yet I went and drove it and it seemed fine it down shifts kinda hard from 2nd to 1st but I cannot remember if it dose that normally or not

Thanks for all the help Miesk5 the diagrams are worth gold

Untitled.png

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Ok so I found the other neutral safety switch and swapped it out and as I thought it would not start so we jumped it across and still no speedo the odometer works and still counts and the next thing we did was swap another speedo in and still nothing so I looked went to get a new Nss and put it on and put on the new plug end I used the diagram it came with and the one I got from miesk it starts and runs great just no speedo we swapped the speedo from my brothers 250 and I know that one works I drove it before and we tested the bronco speedo on the 250 and it worked we looked at the harness on the frame it was a little muddy but we pulled all the connectors and they all looked good so I don't know what else to do

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
after chasing my tail since noon I just started pulling fuses and I dont know what no.5 does in the fuse box under the hood but it was that one thanks for all the help. Sam

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
Hey guys i got home and started looking at the bronco and I forgot his has been converted to the floor shift wen the trans went out like 5 years ago and that trans came out of a bronco with a 302 and his has the 351 but my dad told me wen they did it he just stabbed the trans t-case and harness and all and he just plugged the the new harness in but the neutral safety switch is different does that have any thing to do with the speedo and the diagram looks a little different so i don't know if that has something to do with it ? I was going to swap them and jump the solenoid to start it but I don't know were they put it and Michael is not home from school yet I went and drove it and it seemed fine it down shifts kinda hard from 2nd to 1st but I cannot remember if it dose that normally or not

***LET ME HELP YOU RE-PHRASE THAT SAM***

Thanks for all the help Miesk5 you are worth your weight in gold.....!

>:D< <'> > :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />< >:D< <'> > :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /><
>:) -Kevin-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom