I Need a Plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this board. I recently purchased a 1974 Bronco and I would like to do a restoration on it...something my son and I can do together. I'm somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of work that possibly needs to be done and I've not done this before, so I need some advice. I don't want to pour a large amount of money into it, but I would like it to look nice and drive well. It currently has the following issues that I know of:

The extracted engine, with the heads removed, was provided as part of the purchase. I've since stripped the block down.

The brakes do not work.

Don't know if the transmission/transfer case is working and I haven't removed them. Not sure If I need to rebuild.

Don't know if there are issues with the suspension system.

Don't know if there are issues with the axles

Don't know it there are issues with the electrical system.

Body and hard top is in good condition; however, rust has gotten to the rocker panels. I'll need to paint the whole thing at some point.

Rusty underneath

Interior is acceptable but the seats need to be recovered/replaced.

I need a plan. Can someone direct me to literature on putting together a plan on getting this done?

Any help is surely appreciated.

Thanks,

Beauregard

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Beau., welcome....!!

Overwhelmed is normal at first. These rigs are "old school" & easy to work on. I refer to them as the AMERICAN Volkswagon., as there's nothing that can't be removed/repaired.

Do you mean "restoration" literally...? 'cause that means return to factory original...nearly perfect in every way.

You can find books online, at the early Bronco stores., or start at the library.

I doubt there's a set "plan" but I always suggest SAFETY FIRST.! i.e. start with the stopping. Brakes cleaned up..., don't have to be all new at first, just cleaned up & working.

Then move on to the going.., eng. trannie/transf., axles, etc.

Jackstands at all four corners, you can spin-test hubs, axles, rear-end. Spin a rear wheel & run the trannie & transf. thru ea. gear. Insp. the dr. shafts/u-joints.

Fuel sys. needs insp. & cleaning as necessary.

Jr. can get under the rig with goggles, jumpsuit, wirebrush, sandpaper, cleaners, etc.

Elect. tests can be done with a simple bat. charger, & voltmeter.

Suspensions are strong on these rigs...unless it's been "jerry-rigged"

Trannie/transf. are plenty tough as well.

Get parts at a "quality" parts store & EB specific suppliers., NOT "china-zone" [-X

Do fill-in your info. pages (see mine below) & up-date as necessary so we'll all know what were dealing with here... >:D< <'>

You'll be surprised how fun & easy this is as you get into it..!!

However., there's no way to do this W/O spending $-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bronc76

Reaction score
Bully pretty much explained everything in his post on what to do. They are not that difficult to work on (good to see a father/son project). You can see Krafty's ('73 Plymouth) and my '78 F-100 restoration in the Non-Bronco picture section in this forum. I started with the frame and covered everything there, now I'm working on interior, then motor/tranny, and body last. I have a list on my laptop on what needed to be done and what parts I needed. (just an idea for ya)

Check out Broncograveyard, LMCtruck, Nationalpartsdepot, autokrafters, wildhorses, and Tom's to name a few. They should have everything you need if and when you need parts.

Good luck and take plenty of (and post) pics of the process along the way.

OP
OP
B

Beauregard

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. I appreciate your advice. I don't think I'll be doing a formal restoration on this but when it's complete, it may not be far from it. I think I'll take Bully's advice and start on the brakes while I'm getting the machine shop to mic my block. I've read that the original drum brakes are not as safe as the disk brakes so I may not go with the original on it. What's your opinion on the safety aspect?

I think Commander's idea of putting everything you plan to do on the laptop is a good idea. That way, you don't forget anything.

We are really excited about this project and our goal is to get it drivable by the end of the summer. Hopefully it won't take longer than that. I'll be posting some pictures soon.

Beauregard

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"I've read that the original drum brakes are not as safe as the disk brakes so I may not go with the original on it. What's your opinion on the safety aspect?"

I'm runn'n all drums & it stops as good as my F-150. :D/ (& I have yet to do a complete re-build on these brakes) These rigs aren't "corner-sliders" like the kids do in their Subarus, etc.. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Drum brakes are very safe..., drivers, not so much.

NOTE: "brakes" means.., M/C, lines, wheel cyl's, drums, shoes, clean fluid. (not just "shoes")

Ford didn't build these rigs so as to NOT stop..!! :-B

There's an art to doing a proper disc set-up. Usually they work best with power boost.

Just say'n >:D< <'> .... & is there a "bad" beer.? (well., maybe MICKEYS WIDEMOUTH :-&)

B

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
gears and lockers then tires then the rest of the mess that is bronco, which is cut and modifiy as needed!!!!!

Hi,

I'm new to this board. I recently purchased a 1974 Bronco and I would like to do a restoration on it...something my son and I can do together. I'm somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of work that possibly needs to be done and I've not done this before, so I need some advice. I don't want to pour a large amount of money into it, but I would like it to look nice and drive well. It currently has the following issues that I know of:

The extracted engine, with the heads removed, was provided as part of the purchase. I've since stripped the block down.

The brakes do not work.

Don't know if the transmission/transfer case is working and I haven't removed them. Not sure If I need to rebuild.

Don't know if there are issues with the suspension system.

Don't know if there are issues with the axles

Don't know it there are issues with the electrical system.

Body and hard top is in good condition; however, rust has gotten to the rocker panels. I'll need to paint the whole thing at some point.

Rusty underneath

Interior is acceptable but the seats need to be recovered/replaced.

I need a plan. Can someone direct me to literature on putting together a plan on getting this done?

Any help is surely appreciated.

Thanks,

Beauregard

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar