Horn Issues**HELP**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Co Kid

Reaction score
So, my horn works..with the engine running, but only works intermittently, or rather sluggishly, when the engine is off. and i also hear a click from the horn relay under the dash. I thought it was the horn itself, but when i jump the horn from the positive battery terminal to the positive terminal of the horn, it sounds like it suppose to. LOUD. so i dont think the horn itself is bad. then i tested the positive wire to the horn, it gives just about 12v with the key on and horn depressed. so im guessing it is the relay, but the relay is fairly new. or either a bad ground, but i dont know how to test if it is not grounded correctly. i did, however, put a jumper wire to the positive terminal and run a ground wire to a small ***** located on the horn (that i assumed could be a ground), still did not work. does anyone have any suggestions??

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
The horn should be grounded through the bolt where it attaches to the body. Unbolt it and clean the area of any rust or dirt and grease.

You could have a bad relay even though it is new. The relay is just a switch that completes the positive circuit to the horn. Check all wires and connections. Both at the start relay, (where it should be getting it's power) and both sides of the relay, and finally the connection at the horn itself. That connection could be dirty or greased.

You know by your test the horn isn't bad. Probably one or more of the connections.

Good Luck

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
Before you take it off you could run a ground wire to the battery itself, if you haven't fixed this already, to verify it's the ground. If it works unbolt and clean if not, check the relay or bypass it to rule out the positive wire itself. This is a side note but my wife works at Harbor Freight and we just put a "Bad Boy" horn from there on her 4Runner and it was about $35 dollars, comes with it's own compressor built in, and actually is loud and sounds decent in case you want a new one sometime... >:) -Kevin-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom