ZF5 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Hi guys i have a question my E4OD took a crap yesterday and a buddy has a 91 F250 4x4 with the ZF 5 can i put the 5 speed in my bronco maybe the axles later but for now to get my truck back fast and cheap will it work and has anyone else done the swap and how did it go i plan on getting the whole truck so i hope parts wont be an issue the F250 has 5.8 and the Zf and has been t-boned my bronco is a 93 same motor 5.8 everything at least looks the same if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated Thanks Sam

Elmo

Reaction score
i am thinking that you will have everything that you will need by getting the whole truck. I think you will need at least the thans (ofcourse) drive shafts and the ECM,since you have the E4od the computer will be looking for inputs from it. By swapping in the ECM from the truck that will take care of the trans part. but you may have to swasp in some other stuff, depending on weather the truck is mass air or not. Others here are far better with that area than i am. I do wish i was in your shoes that 250 is just the donor truck im looking for. Lotts of parts for swapping. Good luck and keep us in the loop with your progress and any obstacles you come to.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

As ELMO advised;

and I have some ZF S542 Swap LINKs in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=55

such as;

S5-42 Swap from E4OD Parts List in a 94

Source: by Franklin (Jeff)

ZF S5-42 Ford/Junkyard Used $600

Rebuild ZF: seals, bearings, synchros LP Gear $500

Flywheel E8TR-AA Ford/Junkyard/Call Franklin

New $406

Used $40

Franklin $185

Flywheel Bolts MRG 912 Heinz Bros $8.75

Tranny Bolts 2- 1" Shorter than stock Heinz Bros $2.00

Pilot Bearing AutoZone 7.99

Internal Clutch ***** YL5Z7A5008AA Ford $66.65

Hydralic Hose F3TZ-7A512-A Ford $42.95

***** Cylinder Ford $62.29

Internal Clutch ***** Bolts Interstate Bolt $1.00

Clutch Disc CEN218226 Heinz Bros / Centerforce II $72.25

Pressure Plate CENCFT360049 Heinz Bros / Centerforce II $150.66

PP Bolts 3/8/18-1" Heinz Bros $5.95

Pedals 92-96 F150/Bronco J&T Automotive Used $35.00

Floor Pan 92-96 F150/Bronco J&T Automotive Used $20.00

ZF Shifter/Boot 92-96 F250 w/351 J&T Automotive Used $35.00

Driveshafts: +63mm in the rear, -63mm in the front

Need to use a wire jumper to bypass the neutral safety switch.

Phone #'s:

J&T Automotive 1-800-274-8090

Heinz Bros 1-704-872-8081

These prices will probaly be cheaper than most can find because I am running this through Corley Body Works, my brother-in-law's shop. But it will give you a good ball park.

Everything works fine. The truck may work better with a manual computer, will try when I go to J&T. But it is great and I recommend it highly

===

also in there is this

S5-42 Swap from E4OD in a 93

Source: by lifeizhard102205

S5-42 (7003) Parts Break-Out Diagram, Service Tips & Troubleshooting Guide; 07-03B-17 1994 Econoline / F-150, F-250, F-350 / Bronco / F-Super Duty Powertrain, Drivertrain Aug 1993

S5-42 Parts Break-Out Diagram w/ Nomenclature; Click on Both Parts & Diagram

S5-42 (7003) Disc, Pressure Plate & ***** Cylinder Replacement & Parts Break-Out Diagram in 96 Bronco & F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cabin 96 Bronco & F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty Chassis Cab

S5-42 (7003) Diagnosis & Testing,Overview & Parts Break-Out Diagram, Service Tips & Troubleshooting Guide; 07-03B-17 1994 Econoline / F-150, F-250, F-350 / Bronco / F-Super Duty

Source: by ZF via

S5-42 Tips; "...There are three rubber plugs on top of the transmission that leak fluid only when the truck is in motion so when parked there will be no tell tail signs of a leak. You can replace the plugs yourself or take it to the dealer and have them check it for fluid lose and replace the faulty plugs but it's not cheap. Thing is, the seals are going to fail and if caught to lateas in my case cost you a bundle. Another set back for theback yard mechanic is the bleeding of the ***** cylinder. If not done exactly correct your clutch will not work no matter how much you bleed it. Bleeding the ***** cylinder, which is inside the transmission and not on the outside like older ones, relies more on gravity to bleed and not pumping. It's just a big pain in the ass actually and it will test your patience.

Source: by WooleyBugger

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Well today went great I went and picked the truck up and hauled it home and me and my friends pulled the trans out of my bronco and the truck the good thing to come out of today is the flywheel is good no scars looks like almost new same with the clutch thanks John for floating gears i am still gonna use a new clutch but its pulled so now all i need is the clutch peddle ass. i think i will go to the junk yard monday after work I am sure i can find it in rockwall or dallas thanks for all the input i am tring to take pics of every step but the disassembly went kinda fast me and three friends did it in about an hour thank god for impacts they make it soo mutch faster and i think the easy way to take out the transmission cross member

Elmo

Reaction score
I would think the peddle assembly from the f250 would work. weather its hyd or mech it should bolt right into your truck.

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Well I don't have the trans in yet but i decided to put in the peadles today took the bronco apart and went to do t he same but I noticed that the 250 hydrolic cylinder was different than the pics so I ordered one from summit and went to the junk yard and got lucky i caught a 94 F450 before they scrapped it and the peddles in the floor the guy told me to take what i wanted so I took all three the go cart needs a gas peddle any way just waiting on my marine buddy to finish going through it new bearings and seals and third gear it always scratched oh well better now than wen its in the truck it seems to be almost year spafic but I don't know its some stuff is a lot different from 90 to 93 but the body style did change the peddles are the biggest thing so far but on that note the axles were the easiest part so far they just bolted right in I did have to cut some brackets off but the bronco had the holes for the 3/4 axles already so that was quick cutting the rivets just if you can heat them up with the cutting torch heat all them up and hit the spring mount and it will come right off verry little cussing I plan on lifting it a little there is a lot of room for the 33's that came with the 250 but they are shoot any way so I have a set of military 36's so that's probably what i will run i will just have to find rim's the 250's are 16's the 36' need 16.5's oh well its just money right the **** thing is i have to go back to work monday but I fly out Saturday then it will all have to wait a month till i get back sometimes it sucks working out of country offshore oh well someone has to FRAC IT i am taking my camera and computer with me and will start posting pics on down time on the rig

OP
OP
B

bronco5.8

Reaction score
Well i have been back a few days and was looking on craigslist for jeep parts tiring fix my grandmothers she got ran off the road and broke the spring but she is fine the took it all but I found and bought a 96 F350 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel I already bought it at the junk yard no one has touched this truck in six months so Mc Cracken and I are going to swap the 7.3 and trans in mine and the little bro will have the gas Zf We all ready pulled the 5.8 out of mine and just moving small parts out of the way to put the diesel in probably put the diesel in the shop and replace all the gaskets and some other stuff we stabbed my 5.8 and Zf today in the little bro's bronco and it was easier than i thought it goes right in the trick is pull the front clip easy as can be plug and play I will post pics of that one and as for mine it will be back from paint friday and i hope to br ready to stab the motor next weekend i ordered a banks six gun and a **** of a clutch I am starting to wonder if the T-case will handle all of it but the 350 had a 1356 too so maybe it will be fine I am planning on using all the 350 suspension it already had a eight inch lift we matched up part numbers to find that out little stock wheels for now from what I have found on ebay looking at the same size lifts I will be good to run 40's I just have to decide what gears to throw in but that will come later for now since I have a set of 35's in the shop I will use them and the 250 running gear it had a 3 inch on it and it was running 37's but they rubbed and you could not flex the truck at all so I think the 35's will stay out of the fenders and should be fun to play with and it had 4.10's so I think I will be ok with the gears since I am running the Diesel I will try to get some pics up of all the trucks thanks for the help.Sam

90bronco86

Reaction score
I had a friend who was running mickey Thompson Baja claws ( 39.5s) and he did great on and off road, and how hard was the actual motor swap, like fitting the motor and doing the wiring etc?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66