Front Locking Diff on Daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SASSQASH

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a locking diff in the front diff on a 1996 Bronco. As I'm new to modifying my Bronco, could anyone give advice. the truck will be my somewhat daily driver (1-3 times a week). Im more in question of any issues that may arise, and curious if there will be any issues while driving, even if I do not lock the hubs. Thanks for the help!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi 'Sqash welcome...!

Welllll., depends on where you live., how you drive., climate., type of roads., & why would you want that..?

For example., lockers can get you in trouble in snow, ice, loose gravel.

4x4 can help on snow/icey roads., mostly when braking., but lockers make it harder to control.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SASSQASH

SASSQASH

Reaction score
Bully Bob, thanks for the info. Would those issues(ICE/SNOW) be present with the hubs unlocked? and what if any issue would arise if I choose to use a locker in the rear with a limited slip in the front?

OP
OP
SASSQASH

SASSQASH

Reaction score
forgot to add, I live in NC so rain is an issues as is sandy roads(trails beaches), not really into crawling.

Krafty

Reaction score
if you want the locker then you can go with an air or electric locker so you can choose when your diffs are locked, very good for ice and difficult terrain, in some situations it is beneficial to have an open diff because the wheel that's not spinning acts as a guide to keep the truck moving in a straight line, or in the front axle where you are trying to turn. If you had a locker in the front and had the hubs locked going around a slippery corner, the locker wouldn't break free to let the inside wheel spin slower and would literally push you off the road.

very dangerous.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Long/short.., I would stick with the 4x4 set-up you now have. (OR maybe just a "Posi" in the rear.)

"Lockers" are for competition., rock crawling, etc.

Changing out the gear-sets isn't cheap or easy. And usually, folks up-grade their axle shafts to handle the extra stress. (fr. 28 spline to 31 or 33)

Example; my rig came to me with posi/rear, open front. I climb some pretty scarry stuff here in the southern desert. However, there's a lot of hardpack flat ground with loose sand/gravel. Sometimes my front end will "Snowplow" in a turn, even with the open diff.

Seems counter-productive to go thru the exp. of a "TAD" (Traction adding Device) then having to turnoff/unlock it when traction is needed. But YES unlocking hubs will return you to independent speeds of the front wheels.

(but obviously, no 4wd)

Just a locker in the rear will snowplow the front on a slick/loose surface.

Lastly., one needs to re-learn driving skills to run with lockers, even "posi" somewhat.

Do what your doing (homework) B/4 making those kinds of mods/decisions.

HTH

B

OP
OP
SASSQASH

SASSQASH

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys, I'm thinking based on your recommendations I'll go with a posi/LS on the rear for now, and if/when I have time or determine a need an electronic or air in the front. I appreciate the help, any info on Yukon diff's so them on Bronco Graveyard. Thanks!

OP
OP
SASSQASH

SASSQASH

Reaction score
when looking at the diff's, does anyone know the stock spine on the 1996 bronco, I'm out of the country and my wife isn't going to be able to figure it out. thanks

wileec

Reaction score
lockers can get you in trouble in snow, ice, loose gravel.
True dat

4x4 can help on snow/icey roads., mostly when braking., but lockers make it harder to control.
Got the bold part backwards 4X helps a bunch in the tiime to go part of driving on slick roads, but has no impact when it is time to stop. Usually because it is easy to go, new 4X drivers forget that stopping on ice still sucks.

Bully Bob, thanks for the info. Would those issues(ICE/SNOW) be present with the hubs unlocked? and what if any issue would arise if I choose to use a locker in the rear with a limited slip in the front?
No with the hubs unlocked there is NO effect on the driving. You have not said what the purpose of the truck is except for part time DD. What are you planning on doing that would need a traction added? It is a bunch of money if the end result is to be able to say you have one. If it is for wheeling I would wheel for a while before making those changes. I was happy wheeling mine for 12 years before adding the detroit, and really only did that because I had to regear to tow better. I love the locker, but it makes some things to easy wish I had spent the extra for a selectable.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Wileec.!

"Got (it) backwards 4X helps a bunch in the time to go part of driving on slick roads, but has no impact when it is time to stop"

FWIW, (long story short)

After many months in the Tahoe/Reno harsh winters.... I know fr. experence that in 4x4 no TAD's front or back... Stopping was/is much improved on slick surfaces.... especially if there's a curve or turn involved.

Several friends there had trucks for yrs. They had no clue 'til I showed them.

(there's several reasons why that is)

My buds Jeep air locked front & back was likned to caster wheels as we played on the open area at the airport. Hard to get it moving... & eventually it would spin... kinda fun... :lol: forget trying to use brakes...

Again., TADS are def. a learning curve... :-B

wileec

Reaction score
How does 4X4 improve breaking? Steping on the breaks has no impact on the 4X4. I also have been doing it for a lot of years here in CO.

I agree however that the detroit in the back has mad things a LOT different.

Krafty

Reaction score
"How does 4X4 improve breaking? " it equalizes braking pressure to all 4 wheels were as normally the fronts lock up before the back kick in because nobody adjusts their shoes frequently enough. the braking transfers back through the drive line to all 4 wheels like downshifting.

wileec

Reaction score
when looking at the diff's, does anyone know the stock spine on the 1996 bronco, I'm out of the country and my wife isn't going to be able to figure it out. thanks
Unless it has been changed it should be 31 spline.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ya., Krafty got it...! Of course we're talking slo-n-go here., not big speeds. Thats just wrong on many levels.

Slowing & manuvering (around stopped/slow traffic) is a better discription than the word "stopping" but all inclusive.

4x4'n on slick..., when touching/pressing the brakes., the eng. will continue rotating the front (& rear) wheels, allowing steering.

Of course, jamming the brakes stalls the eng..., then all bets are off.

Tires, air press., skills, type of veh., etc. all come into play.

It's all fun & white knuckle... 'til the inevitable happens.. :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Krafty

Reaction score
hahah living up here in the great white north has provided more than its fair share of slippery roads. thats why I keep a tow strap and a can of paint for touch ups in my truck when the snow starts flying

OP
OP
SASSQASH

SASSQASH

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys, I used to live in Arizona and found out at times that getting to my hunting area's would have been less nerve racking if I had lockers. As i'm now living in the great sand and swamp of North Carolina, i simply dont want to be stuck in a situation where my wheels are spinning but i'm sitting. I just got my 2nd bronco 1996 XLT, 351w, on 31's. previous was a 1991, 302, 33's, 3 inch lift, rhino lined inside, beater outside. I'm looking at putting on new front a rear bumpers, potentially replacing the hunter green paint on the lower half (it's two toned) with hunter green Rhino lining, as well as adding a soft top. I was thinking of adding a locker in the front and Limited slip in the rear, may still go with the L/S in the rear. I'm thinking of the Yukon DuraGrip Ford 8.8", 31 spline. any recommendations on this product. Thanks guys

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
You just hit on another the "key" ... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Geographical area really comes into play. Meaning you should get "several" opinions from the real 4x4ers in that area.

As you know "we all have the best & smartest set-up & we sware to it..!!"

"NOT"

Check with the clubs., forest service, & the like...

BUT.., is this somewhat daily driver...or swamp-n-sand.. or both..?

OP
OP
SASSQASH

SASSQASH

Reaction score
I've got a Daily, but I simply cannot drive the car very often knowing I've got my truck sitting there, I dont mud, but the firebreaks and trails I run through get pretty messy and my friends Brand new pickup trucks dont seem to make it as far as we need "its the owners fault, not vehicle".

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
Check into a "Lockrite" It locks up when going straight and un-locks when making a turn so both wheels aren't trying to keep up with each other. I had a old style Detroit in the rear of my '77 F150 and it was solid, and wheeled like crazy, but it flat out sucked on the street! It was a short bed pickup with 33x12.5x15 tires and every time I made a u-turn it would screech and jump so bad everyone would turn and look to see what I was doing. I bought the truck stock with a NP435 and a NP205 and installed the Detroit and a duel friction Centerforce clutch and other stuff to the tune of about $16,500 and the only thing I regreted was the locker. If I had it to do over again I would have bought an ARB air locker instead.

I have an open D44 in the front of my '96 and a 10.25 LSD in the rear. I'm going to put a Lockrite in the rear first, because there are too many other projects I want to do, and I've spent too much already, well according to my wife....lol. I originally was going to run duel ARB's powered by my OBA setup, but now think this is going to be a nice setup instead. I still want a roll cage and a soft top but my wife wants food and clothes for the kids. I just don't get girls sometimes....lol. I have read up about these over the past few years as well as the Ected's, but I really like the way you can install these without having to re-setup the entire diff. I'm running a fairly stock 351W and don't plan on any major improvements other than an Edelbrock truck intake and a Mallory dizzy later on. Once I see how I like the locker in the rear then I'll throw one in the front too! I grew up in New York and now live like an hour from Tahoe, and my folks have owned property in Incline since '79 so I've done my fair share of snow/ice driving. Now-a-days I mostly see sun and some rain in the winter so I think this setup will work out just fine. Like "Bully Bob" said, it really does depend on where you live because it's different for me here in Calif as it is for my uncle in Arkansas, or my friends in Tahoe. here's a link to installing a Lockrite so you can see how easy it is to install one...... >:) -Kevin-

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205797

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke