Column Shifter vs. Floor Shiter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lh4882

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Bronco With 3 on the tree. I'm having problems with the shifter, i'm thinking of rebuilding the column shifter but debating on converting it to the floor. Trying to get others take on the issue before I do anything thanks in advance.

Bronc76

Reaction score
I've seen it both ways some like the column and others like the floor shift. If you do convert to floor don't cut out no more floor than you have too, (added noise, and exhaust smell). If you do convert to floor, be sure and save all the parts because I think they are getting harder to find.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
W/O your sig. filled in.., there's some unknowns... i.e. 6 or V/8 ..?

All the parts are avail. to freshen up the column & it will work as it did fr. the factory

There are some advantages to the floor shifter.., you get rid of those rods, etc. under the hood. The floor shifter is spring loaded as you move fr. 1st. to 2nd.

It's "short throw" & out of your way. Handy right next to the T-case shifter. Will last decades. Just looks better.

If I had a smooth working column., I'd prob. just leave it. A non-functioning column, I would convert to the floor.

Last edited by a moderator:

astronot

Reaction score
I went through the same decision with my '74 6cyl. The column shift is a novelty and it's the way the beast was built. The floor shifter is waaaay more practical. I went the floor shifter route, but saved all the pieces. Having done the conversion I'd never go back. I think it's a lot simpler job that rebuilding the column. You don't say if you have 6 or V8. If it's V8 you can buy from anyone. If it's 6, the only place I found that made the shift rods was Tom's Bronco parts. They are good folks. I have a post on the tech support page that lists all the choices you need to make if you have a 6cyl. Good luck whichever way you decide to go!

OP
OP
L

lh4882

Reaction score
Well I ordered my conversion kit today cant wait for it to get here but nervous, I have never done this befor. Thanks for all the posts im sure ill be bugging you all a lot more lol

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Naw.., it's about a two banana job..! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Easy & kinda fun.

Whoever cut the hole in mine must'a used a saws-all & a chisel..! Pretty rough but once covered, you can't tell.

A Makita/cut-off wheel would do a clean job. May need a file & a few other hand tools to remove appendage slicing burrs.

The rest is bolt together. You may or may not choose to hook up the backup light switch. The shifter is adjustable so as to completely lock/pop into ea. gear.

Stick close to astronot..., he just did his conversion.

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
lets put it this way. If three on the tree was a good thing they(aka auto makers) would still do it. I have not seen it happen again...

Cut that bronco and make it an easy shifter. Buy a after market cover and call it done.

BBB email me I need too check the garage but I might have a three speed hurst shifter for sale or [email protected]

I have a 1970 Bronco With 3 on the tree. I'm having problems with the shifter, i'm thinking of rebuilding the column shifter but debating on converting it to the floor. Trying to get others take on the issue before I do anything thanks in advance.

OP
OP
L

lh4882

Reaction score
IT WORKED!!!!! Inatllation was not to bad. All thats left is cutting a hole in the tunnel cover and bolting it down

mjsinnott

Reaction score
Looking to do the same thing. The Three-on-the tree is what i learned to drive on when I was a kid, but not looking forward to driving that anymore. What are the steps to change it over to a floor shifter? I have a 72 V-8. Which aftermarket shifters are the best? Where should I order it?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi MJ, welcome..!

These shifters have been 'round for 30+ yrs. They're all good.

James Duff has their own name on theirs.

Hurst & one other mfgr. make them. All the EB stores sell them.

It's pretty much a "1-2 banana job" Mostly wrenching.

Set the new tunnel cover in place & mark its outline. Cut the access hole per instructions., un-hook the orig. shift rods., bolt in the shifter., hook up the rods., adj. properly., install cover, boot, & ***.

The instructions that come with it are pretty good/helpful.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar