Tips on Cylinder Head Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THWG

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlebroncs,

I am about to replace my cylinder heads. This will be the first time I have gotten this far with her. It's like I'm getting to third base with her (mechanically). Any tips before I strip her down?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo THWG,

I forget what year & engine you have, so;

ok, EDIT; I looked your info up and it is is a 92 5.0, correct? If so;

by Chilton:

Removal in 5.0 & 5.8; "...Use a long breaker bar to ease removal of the cylinder head bolts-5.0L engine shown. Lift off the cylinder head from the block and set in a safe location. Stuff rags in the open cylinders before scraping mating surfaces completely clean. Use a torque wrench to tighten the cylinder head bolts to the proper torque specification. 1.Drain the cooling system. 2.Remove the intake manifold and EFI throttle body. 3.Remove the rocker arm cover(s). 4.If the right cylinder head is to be removed, lift the tensioner and remove the drive belt. Loosen the alternator adjusting arm bolt and remove the alternator mounting bracket bolt and spacer. Swing the alternator down and out of the way. Remove the air cleaner inlet duct. If the left cylinder head is being removed, remove the air conditioning compressor. Persons not familiar with air conditioning systems should exercise extreme caution, perhaps leaving this job to a professional. Remove the oil dipstick and tube. Remove the cruise control bracket. 5.Disconnect the exhaust manifold(s) from the muffler inlet pipe(s). 6.Loosen the rocker arm stud nuts so that the rocker arms can be rotated to the side. Remove the pushrods and identify them so that they can be reinstalled in their original positions. 7.Disconnect the Thermactor® air supply hoses at the check valves. Cover the check valve openings. 8.Remove the cylinder head bolts and lift the cylinder head from the block. Remove the discard the gasket. To install the cylinder head(s): .Clean the cylinder head, intake manifold, the valve cover and the head gasket surfaces. A specially treated composition head gasket is used. Do not apply sealer to a composition gasket. Position the new gasket over the locating dowels on the cylinder block. Then, position the cylinder head on the block and install the attaching bolts. For 1987-91 models, the cylinder head bolts are tightened in progressive steps. Tighten all the bolts in the proper sequence..."

------------

Get the instructions & specs for installation; esp torquing and sequence

Head Bolt Torque Specs, Bronco & Ford Source: by Federal-Mogul

Mark all plug wires (Look at how they are routed, esp from distr. cap to avoid misfires due to improper routing;l see my site for routing diagrams)

mark fasteners as you remove them; same for push rods, etc.

---

Here is a good article w/pics

General Engine Repair Practices & Service Tips TSB 92-25-2 for 88-93 Bronco, Aerostar, Econoline, F Super Duty, F-150-350 Series, Ranger; 88-90 Bronco II; 91-93 Explorer, etc.

Source: by Ford

Engines examined under the 6/60 Warranty Program indicate that some engines have been damaged by abrasive grit and debris. Use of abrasive grinding discs to remove gasket material from the engine sealing surfaces during repair procedures can contribute to engine damage/wear. Airborne debris and abrasive grit from the grinding disc may enter the engine through exposed cavities, causing premature wear and eventual engine damage.

ACTION We recommend not using abrasive grinding discs to remove engine gasket material. Use manual gasket scrapers for removing gasket material from the engine sealing surfaces.

Availability of New Silicone Gasket & Sealant TSB 98-7-4 for 84-96 Bronco; 84-98 Econoline, F-150, F-250 HD, F-250 LD; 84-99 Super Duty F Series, etc.

Source: by Ford

A new Silicone Gasket And Sealant (F7AZ-19554-EA) material is now available for routine engine service or repair of engine oil leaks.

ACTION Use the new Silicone Gasket And Sealant for servicing:

Oil pan gaskets and T-joints

Intake end seals

Overhead cam caps

Valve and timing covers

Bearing split lines

Side cover plates

Rear oil seals

The new sealant has better adhesion, flexibility for moving/vibrating joints, resistance to fluids, and is easier to dispense.

NOTE: THIS MATERIAL IS NOT A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR A SILICONE RUBBER, GRAPHITE, OR OTHER TYPE OF PRE-FORMED GASKET.

5.0 & 5.8 Parts Break-Out Diagram, Internal & External w/ Nomenclature in a 96 from 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, I messed-up and over-wrote this;

(am entering a new reply bec. I see you are or wee here and you may not see an edit;

Cleaning & Inspecting; "...1. With the valves installed to protect the valve seats, remove deposits from the combustion chambers and valve heads with a scraper and a wire brush. Be careful not to damage the cylinder head gasket surface. After the valves are removed, clean the valve guide bores with a valve guide cleaning tool. Using cleaning solvent to remove dirt, grease and other deposits, clean all bolts holes; be sure the oil passage is clean (V8 engines).

2.miesk5 Note, review the Ford TSB I showed in prev reply about abrasives

Remove all deposits from the valves with a fine wire brush or buffing wheel. 3.Inspect the cylinder heads for cracks or excessively burned areas in the exhaust outlet ports. 4.Check the cylinder head for cracks and inspect the gasket surface for burrs and nicks. Replace the head if it is cracked. 5.On cylinder heads that incorporate valve seat inserts, check the inserts for excessive wear, cracks, or looseness. The exhaust valve stems, on some engines, are equipped with small metal caps. Take care not to lose the caps. Make sure to reinstall them at assembly time. Replace any caps that are worn. 1.Use an electric drill and rotary wire brush to clean the intake and exhaust valve ports, combustion chamber and valve seats. In some cases, the carbon will need to be chipped away. Use a blunt pointed drift for carbon chipping. Be careful around the valve seat areas.

2.Use a wire valve guide cleaning brush and safe solvent to clean the valve guides. 3.Clean the valves with a revolving wire brush. Heavy carbon deposits may be removed with the blunt drift. When using a wire brush to clean carbon on the valve ports, valves etc., be sure that the deposits are actually removed, rather than burnished. 4.Wash and clean all valve springs, keepers, retaining caps etc., in safe solvent.

5.Clean the head with a brush and some safe solvent and wipe dry.

6.Check the head for cracks. Cracks in the cylinder head usually start around an exhaust valve seat because it is the hottest part of the combustion chamber. If a crack is suspected but cannot be detected visually have the area checked with dye penetrant or other method by the machine shop.

7.After all cylinder head parts are reasonably clean, check the valve stem-to-guide clearance. If a dial indicator is not on hand, a visual inspection can give you a fairly good idea if the guide, valve stem or both are worn. 8.Insert the valve into the guide until slight away from the valve seat. Wiggle the valve sideways. A small amount of wobble is normal, excessive wobble means a worn guide or valve stem. If a dial indicator is on hand, mount the indicator so that the stem of the valve is at 90° to the valve stem, as close to the valve guide as possible. Move the valve off the seat and measure the valve guide-to-stem clearance by rocking the stem back and forth to actuate the dial indicator. Measure the valve stem using a micrometer and compare to specifications to determine whether stem or guide wear is causing excessive clearance.

Checking The Cylinder Head For Warpage (Flatness); When the cylinder head is removed, check the flatness of the cylinder head gasket surfaces.

http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/8492/images/84923075.pdf

1.Place a straightedge across the gasket surface of the cylinder head. Using feeler gauges, determine the clearance at the center of the straightedge.

2.If warpage exceeds 0.003 in. (0.076mm) in a 6 in. (152mm) span, or 0.006 in. (0.152mm) over the total length, the cylinder head must be resurfaced.

3.If necessary to refinish the cylinder head gasket surface, do not plane or grind off more than 0.254mm (0.010 in.) from the original gasket surface. When milling the cylinder heads of V8 engines, the intake manifold mounting position is altered and must be corrected by milling the manifold ****** a proportionate amount. Consult an experienced machinist about this..."

OP
OP
T

THWG

Reaction score
Much appreciated. Haynes Manual didn't give much detail.

I'm a bit intimidated, but I'll labor on. I think I'll take a running video-diary of the procedure. I know that would help me right now. Maybe it can be of some help to someone down the road.

OP
OP
T

THWG

Reaction score
I started the tear down today. It was going swimmingly until I ran into a star-head bolt on the inside of the upper intake manifold. I have a star socket, but not an extended shaft star screwdriver. I actually felt like Ford was deliberately kicking me in the crotch.

Autozone tomorrow.

Star driver and various other things. This has been more fun than I thought it would be.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo