Gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cchilders70

Reaction score
My 86 bronco gas Gage and oil , temp , and the other gauge don't work. If u have any ideas on what could be wrong let me know. But what's the average gas mileage fro a 351 w with a 4 barrel?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ford used a volt. drop for their (gas, oil, temp.) gages...usually attached to the back of the speedo head housing. It drops the voltage to +-6v

If this volt/reg quits, those three gages will as well.

(however, not sure if your year rig has this set-up)

---"and the other gauge don't work."---

What "other" gage.? RU refering to the volt/amp gage.?

You may just have a wire off that energizes these gages.

Do the dash lights work..?

Prob. 5-9 mpg.... :angry: :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

cchilders70

Reaction score
Dash light do work. I git the whole bronco for 400$ and all that I had had to do is replace the front crank seal. I would like to at least get my gas gauge to work so I dont have to guess lol.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good deal..! $-)

I've worked on speedo heads & gages both in the veh. & by removing it.

However., I've not done your year veh.

Maybe someone who has, will chime in. I doubt it's that difficult but prob. a few tricks.

On some rigs., you can get your head under there & see some of the connections.

Go to China auto parts & see if their (for sale) books have a diagram. You will likely need the book later on down the road. Prob. @ $15-$20

Usually 1 wire jumps to/feeds all three gages.

Good luck.!

B

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
My Haynes manual shows that the only 2 circuits common to all the guages (and Idiot lights, and turn signal indicators), is a ground (black wire) and power from fuse #18 through red/yellow wire.

Do the turn signal indicators work? How about the other idiot lights? If they do I would think that the problem is in the printed circuit in the dash pod, or the voltage drop as Bully suggested. If the other lights do not work, check for power and ground.

Good luck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Check Battery Voltage; "...a normal battery that is fully charged produces 12.6 volts, not just 12.0 V. (Remember, when measuring battery voltage, everything in the car should be off, or the battery should be disconnected. Voltage measurements are always "no load" measurements unless the battery is being tested for it's performance under load)..."

Source: by Gordon via miesk5

This is the Voltage Drop device that Bully Bob mentioned;

Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) in 78-86;

The IVR can fail two different ways. it will quit working altogether, thus none of the gauges will work.

Or two, it will stick, and the gauges will peg to the extreme right, then it will unstick and fall back to normal.

The IVR is a pulse type. The voltage is regulated by how fast the pulses are. When it sticks, it doesn't pulse, etc... Try tapping on it.

Make sure the cluster ground is in good shape. If the IVR isn't grounded or has an intermittant ground, it wont pulse like it should either.

Rebuild it, see http://www.turbocoupe.org/techinfo/ivr/IVR.htmold

or,

Suggest getting one from a Yard; Since there are about 12 different types, make sure to take the old one with you;

Fits: 1971/86 F100/350; 1971/91 Econoline; 1978/86 Bronco; 1977/79 LTD II/Ranchero/Cougar/Thunderbird without Tachometer; 1972/76 Thunderbird/Continental Mark IV; 1971/72 LTD/Mercury Marquis for MOTORCRAFT Part # GR513 {D1AF10804AA, D1AZ10804A}..."

Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR) Source for 80-86

Source: by lmctruck

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=34

Remove the instrument cluster and then pop the VR off the film circuit; it's a metal box with 2 brass snaps.

The hardest part will be getting the headlight & wiper knobs off.

In this photo, counting from the RIGHT, it's between the 2nd & 3rd black bulb holders along the top of the cluster.

cluster-back.jpg

You can see the hex ***** holding the mounting tab, and just below that, you can see the 2 brass snap terminals..." by Steve

Wiring Diagram in an 86 & Ford truck

Source: by Agnem (The Moosestang) at http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1202818090060549143qsyRbKThe diagram is diff to read; try registering there and see if you can enlarge it or get a clear view of it.

It does show the IVR as well as each gauge

another Wiring Diagram in an 86 by xris; but does not show IVR, but does show instr cluster connector

Wiring Diagram in an 86

G701 Behind IP near RH side of radio;

G801 for both fuel pumps On LH inner fender behind headlights;

G802 On RH inner fender behind headlights;

G903 At LH side of rear crossmember;

G909 at lower LH cowl access hole;

G1003 On LH side of frame behind front crossmember;

G1006 Rear LH side of frame at rear crossmember;

G1303 at LH radiator support Locations in an 86 (see #5)

Source: by Seabronc (Fred W (Rosie) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

http://broncozone.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5713

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo