91 rear main type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A.O.R.C

Reaction score
Hi I have a question on my 91 351w is it a one piece seal or two? The truck was built in Sep 90. If it's a two piece will it have the little pin in the top half of the seal? Meaning I'll have to lower the crank a little to get out??? I saw the post about the 90 having a one piece but I've been told by one dealership it's a one piece and another that it's two?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo A.O.R.C.,

Ford Parts on-line shows a 2 piece seal;

go to Ford @ http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1991&m=Ford&mo=Bronco#Search

go thru drill,

Select Model

etc.

Engine

View Image PN 6701 (this is the Motorcfat Short Version part number and not good for a general google search since it will apply to different types of Seals

Engine Crankshaft Seal

5.8L (Rear) $29.74 Select a dealer for prices & availability

But @ Rock Auto, http://www.rockauto.com

They show both one piece & split

Such as;

TIMKEN Part # 2377 Shaft Size: 3.75"; Housing Bore: 4.501"; Seal Width: 0.362"; Seal Outside Dia: 4.506"; Seal Lip Material: FluoroElastomer; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 400°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: 350; Press Fit

Viton; RearShaft Size: 3.75"; Housing Bore: 4.501"; Seal Width: 0.362"; Seal Outside Dia: 4.506"; Seal Lip Material: FluoroElastomer; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 400°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: 350; Press Fit

Most Timken seals have the following properties:

Machined rubber sealing edge provides greater accuracy and consistency, as well as a better sealing surface.

A flanged design allows for easier and proper installation and helps avoid cocking.

A latex bore coat seals the outer diameter leak path and helps compensate for minor bore imperfections.

An extra dust lip helps keep harmful contaminants, such as dirt, out of the bearing and protects against rust and corrosion.

FEL-PRO Part # BS40645 Rear Main Seal Set

Type: Rear Main Seal Set; PTFE Rubber; One-piece; Rear

FEL-PRO Part # BS40592 Rear Main Seal Set

Type: Rear Main Seal Set; Rubber; One-piece; Rear

NATIONAL Part # 5117 Oil Seal Kit; Nitrile, Shaft Size=3.438", Outer Diameter=4.313", Width=0.188"

Rear; Split Seal

Trucky has a good article on the replacement in his 5.8;

Installation in a 95 5.8

Source: by TRUCKY18 (Bco) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/3749/29261

such as; "...This is the old seal, nasty and leaky.

img_2710.jpg

These are both new seals from NAPA (I discovered the NAPA Teflon and the Felpro one from advance are the same damn seal accept the NAPA one is 4 bucks cheaper.

img_2796.jpg

On the left is the rubber one and the right is the Teflon, they look about the same, but they ARE NOT.

Upon a closer examination I found the rubber one is tensioned to the crank by a spring because the rubber is very pliable, good for repair sleeves since they are slightly bigger than the original crank diameter. The Teflon one is tensioned to the crank by the stiffness of the material not good for repair sleeves should have listened to the directions. Basically what happened was that the Teflon one went on so tight it spun with the crank instead of the crank spinning in it. SO….if you use a repair sleeve DO NOT USE TEFLON. I personally would say the Teflon is better just because of the nature of Teflon, but as I discovered it does not work in all cases. If you use the rubber one put a small film of non-curing silicone on it so it doesn’t start up dry.

So I did it all over again and put the rubber one on. Went on much easier. After I put it all back together after this go-round, I started it and NO LEAKS!

cchilders70

Reaction score
I just did this to my 86 351w it was a one price seal. Had to take the trans loose from the engine. My fathers an ASC master and that's the way we did it. Sucks but worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22