Horrible Oil Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

351 1986

Reaction score
oil leaking from around bell housing ....blowing oil all over the place ? I have been told it might be a rear main seal ???

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sure does sound that way :-&

peace.gif

nelbur

Reaction score
Because of the angle of the engine, any leaks from the rear of the valve covers or the intake manifold will run down and drip off the bell housing. Hopefully this is where your leak is as these areas are much easier to fix. Any oil that drips off your bell housing will lubricate everything behind it, including your rear window.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Engine oil leaks are sometimes improperly diagnosed as transmission pump seal leaks. "The following areas of possible leakage should also be checked to determine if engine oil leakage is causing the problem. Leakage at the valve cover may allow engine oil to flow over the converter housing or seep down between the converter housing and block causing oil to be present in or at the bottom of the converter housing.

Oil plug leaks will allow oil to flow down the rear face of the block to the converter housing.

Leakage at the crankshaft seal will work back to the flywheel, and then into the converter housing.

check:

dip stick tube where it is pressed into block

filter; & if old filter gasket was not removed...

timing chain gasket

oil pan rusted; too common due to Ford using corroded sections from coiled steel rolls

oil pan gasket

engine oil cooler if equipped

from Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual; read more

Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

Oil soluble aniline or fluorescent dyes premixed at the rate of 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) of dye powder to 0.24L (0.5 pint) of automatic transmission fluid have proven helpful in locating the source of fluid leakage. Such dyes may be used to determine whether an engine fluid or transmission fluid leak is present, or if the fluid in the transmission fluid cooler hose leaks into the engine coolant system. An ultraviolet light must be used to detect the fluorescent dye solution.

OP
OP

351 1986

Reaction score
oil leaks worse on highway ,and leaks onto the exhaust , so i get a little smoke....but i did pay to get the a new oil pan and a rear main seal replacement already ?

cchilders70

Reaction score
this is kinda funny. My 86 351 also has a rear main seal out and I have to fix that this weekend. only a few days left of hunting season ****.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno