'90 Bronco starts then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

'90 Bronco Brent

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

Lately my Bronco has been dying on me. It would die intermittently (sometimes weeks in between) and sometimes start right back up. Other times it would take 5-10 minutes before it would restart. But it started die more frequently and became harder to restart. Finally I killed the starter on one of the restart attempts after being stranded on the side of the road for an hour. Since it died I've replaced the alternator (it had gone bad too), the starter, plugs, dist. cab, and coil. After replacing those parts it started then died. First start ran for 10 minutes then died, 2nd start ran 3 minutes then died, and 3rd start ran 15 seconds then died. Now it won't start anymore. Any ideas on where to go from here?

2nd issue... after replacing the starter I am now hearing a high pitched whining sound coming from the starter. From what I understand it's because the space between the starter drive and flywheel is too small. How can I adjust this?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm not the greatest auto mechanic. Ex-C130 crewchief but jets are slightly different than trucks (c:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
When you fisrt turn the key to ON/Run, do you hear the fuel pump for a second or two? You should if you listen closely. It is in your tank.

You might consider checking for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. There is a shrader valve (like a tire valve) there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke