4x4 shift **** shaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
After replacing my wheel & spindle bearings, i've noticed my shift **** shaking pretty bad. Might just be that i'm noticing it now, but is this a normal thing? if not any ideas on how to fix it?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo JMO,

What Xfer Case is in there?

Look at these pics

Most likely a NP208

Check Nut on shift lever to case; it is @ bottom right in this diagram

np208parts.jpg

Ck #26 Range Fork, Ford (updated w/ inserts) 331849 by AXIOM)

I believe our friend here, Justshootme84 still uses the 208 shifter; maybe he can add more info; such as engine/tranny mount

issues, etc.

Is it shifting ok?

If not:

TSB 83-03-24 TRANSFER CASE - NP208 - RANGE FORK AND NYLON ANNULUS HUB WEAR

1982-83 BRONCO, F150-250 (4x4)

New Process Gear Model 208 Transfer Cases on the above vehicles built after January 19, 1982 have a new range fork and annulus gear assembly design.

The annulus gear hub and web assembly (7B066) can be damaged when the transfer case is operated with low **** fluid levels or with a rough surface finish fork or ****** washer. This will result in transfer case shifting difficulties. The damaged nylon hub will appear to be melted or severely scored and must be replaced. The range fork (7289) and ****** washer (7D484) must also be replaced since surface finish damage or sharp edges created during the prior condition can cause accelerated wear of the new hub and web assembly and result in a repeat service. The transfer case should be refilled with 7 pints of new automatic transmission fluid **** (XT-2-QDX) and checked for any leaks. With the vehicle in a level position, the **** fluid must be up to fill plug opening.

PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS

E2TZ-7B066-A Hub and Web B

E1TZ-7289-B Range Fork C

E1TZ-7D484-A ****** Washer BM

XT-2-QDX Transmission Fluid-Dexron II V

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, you can inspect the tranny/ t-case mount and/or bushings for wear. The double-bushing style on my 84 Bronco with the NP208 is pradtically obsolete, but i do have pics of the mod I did using 79 Bronco t-case bushings. Ford calls these isolators instead of rubber bushings. This style is only for the NP208/ C-6 auto combo, so your 3-sp manaul may have a single tranny/ t-case mount. JSM84

Seabronc

Reaction score
After replacing my wheel & spindle bearings, i've noticed my shift **** shaking pretty bad. Might just be that i'm noticing it now, but is this a normal thing? if not any ideas on how to fix it?
Since you just changed the spindle bearings, I think it might be worth the effort to go back and check that the spindle nuts are set to the proper torque. Inner nut to 50 fp then backed up only enough to get the locking *** in the hole of the locking washer. Then the locking nut to 150 fp.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar