Tranny issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael1989

Reaction score
I just took my 89 5.0L bronco out for its 1st drive and I noticed a few problems with the automatic transmission.

1. Horrible acceleration regardless of how much gas I give it.(now this could be bad compression in the engine but I think its the tranny)

2. If I have it in OD, then around 55 or 60 mph it slips in and out of overdrive pretty often

3. It shifts pretty agressivley with a jump when you get into the higher gears even with OD locked out

The fluid level was a little low, so I added 1/2 a quart of Mercon.

Krafty

Reaction score
do a seafoam transmission flush then replace your trans filter and fill with new ATF.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo MICHAEL,

AOD, correct?

Symptoms: Shift clunk when throttle is backed off after full or heavy throttle acceleration. Harsh coasting downshifts out of fourth gear (automatic 4-3 shifts in D range).

Cause: TV control cable is set too short.

Remedy: Reset cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

Cause: Transmission lever does not return to idle (lever to rear as far as possible) although cable is correctly set.

Remedy: Check for binding due to misaligned or damaged cable brackets or damaged cable or return spring (in rubber boot). Check for binding at cable connections at throttle body or transmission. Pry off cable from the TV lever ball stud and check for free movement of the cable. Lubricate the ball stud with a small amount of Premium Long Life Grease C1AZ-19590-E (ESA-M1C75- B) or equivalent and reattach the cable. Check for frozen moisture in cable due to damaged boot. Service or replace as necessary. Set cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

Cause: Cable assembly not correctly attached to bracket at either throttle body or transmission.

Remedy: Determine reason for cable becoming detached. Replace if necessary. Set cable per procedure for the TV control cable system.

Rough/Harsh/Delayed 1-2 Upshift

Possible Source(s):

§ Improper fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:

§ Perform «fluid level check» .

Possible Source(s):

§ Poor engine performance.

Action(s) to Take:

§ Tune engine.

Possible Source(s):

§ TV linkage--misadjusted (high TV)/damaged. All shifts will be harsh/delayed.

Action(s) to Take:

§ Adjust linkage. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):

§ Main control pressure too high.

Action(s) to Take:

§ «Control pressure test» . Note results.

Possible Source(s):

§ Governor valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:

§ Perform «governor test» . Service as required.

Possible Source(s):

§ Valve body bolts--loose/too tight.

Action(s) to Take:

§ Tighten to 9-11 N-m (80-97 lb-in)

Possible Source(s):

§ Valve body dirty/sticking valves.

Action(s) to Take:

§ Determine source of contamination. Service as required

=========

And, any Throttle Valve (TV) Cable Adjustment should be done using a 100 psi pressure gauge to the TV port on transmission;

More in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=59

OP
OP
michael1989

michael1989

Reaction score
My 1-2 upshift revs up to about 3700 rpms before shifting which also is a reason I have bad acceleration

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo