Fuel gauge not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael1989

Reaction score
My fuel gauge isn't working but , to be honest, I don't know if my fuel guage was ever working, I know sounds dumb. But my truck wasn't running for a while so I couldn't tell and I never filled it up all the way, and I bought it with the fuel gauge low. Today I added 10 gal and the needle still didn't move. I did replace the fuel pump relay about a month ago. Is there a way to test if its even getting a signal?

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Michael,

Where is the Needle when Bronco is running? At Empty? OR doe it mov3e from an Empty to Below Empty position?..

etc.

Testing in 87-96; Fuel Gauge Moves from E to below E; "...Disconnect the connector at the fuel tank, ground the yellow with white tracer wire (make sure you have a good ground),turn the key on-if the gauge goes to empty, chances are, the fuel sender is the problem. If the gauge doesn't move, then recheck the grounding of the Y/W wire,if it is good then the problem is is forward of the sender (wiring/connectors/instrument cluster)..."

by 85bigbronco

Wiring Diagram in an 89

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at SuperMotors.net

bronco-1989-fuel-system--pg-92.gif

EZ cks first; check Ground G801

Fuel Level Sender & Gauge Wiring for '92-96 Broncos ('87-96 F-series & Bronco similar)

IF THE IMAGE IS TOO SMALL, click it.

Sender Range: 160 (full) - 16 (empty) Ohms

A gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire.

A gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float.

A gauge anywhere in between that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9.

The terminals of C251 (& C250) are known to corrode & lose contact (open). Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser.

The larger version of C441(WPT454) was used until '93.

The level sender can usually be disassembled & repaired by bending the wiper arm inside the plastic housing to apply slightly more force. See the other photos in this album.

For more info, see this album's captions: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/34307-4

by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744437

fuellevelwiring.jpg

OP
OP
michael1989

michael1989

Reaction score
It stays right on E. So its probably a bad ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

All i have on the G801 Ground is that in mid-80's years it is on driver side inner fender, behind headlights; but fuel pupms share that Ground too, so I assume they work. Check anyway for bad wiring for the gauge ckt.

OP
OP
michael1989

michael1989

Reaction score
What are the key points I should check on the truck? I followed the wire from the tank and it goes into a sheathing, and it looks like it goes up into the floor.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo MICHAEL;

Testing & Connector Pin-Outs in 92-96 Bronco (87-96 F-series & Bronco similar); Sender Range: 16 Ohms Empty; 160 Ohms Full; "...

gauge that pegs past full indicates an open circuit (broken wire; unplugged connector; corroded terminal; burned sender) on the Y/W wire.

gauge that pegs past empty indicates a short to ground (pinched to the frame, body, or dash supports) on the Y/W wire, OR a sunk float.

gauge anywhere in between that doesn't move indicates an open circuit (blown fuse; corroded terminal) on the power (battery) side of the gauge OR a bad instrument cluster ground at C251 pin 9.

The terminals of C251 (& C250) are known to corrode & lose contact. Polish both the connector pins AND the film circuit pads with brown paper or a pink eraser.

The larger version of C441(WPT454) was used until 93. The level sender can usually be disassembled & repaired by bending the wiper arm inside the plastic housing to apply slightly more force..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744437

C251, Location, Behind Instrument Panel Diagram by Seattle FSB (SeattleFSB) at http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/860017/original/1990-component-location-view-1518.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom