"Fix" for tapered dash knobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famvburg

Reaction score
My '69 EB has the long tapered dash knobs instead of the short round flat-faced ones. About 3 of mine were missing the concave center. I wasn't sure if they could be removed or how much trouble they'd be if they could. I was doing some dash refurb & really wanted the centers in them. I took some spackling & packed it into the opening. I then took a 1/4" stainless carriage bolt, (Stainless 'cause the head was smooth & 1/4" 'cause the head seems to be the perfect size & shape.) & wet the head in water & pressed it in Anyway, it pressed the excess out & I packed in some more & repeated. Keep the head wet & use a twisting motion as you press & remove. Repeat until it looks right. Wipe off the excess & let it dry. Clean it up with a damp rag & fill in any blemishes using the bolt head again. finally, after it's dry again, clean it up with some fine sandpaper or maybe a Scotchbrite pad, tho I used the sandpaper. Seal it off with some super glue & a brush or any other clear sealer of choice. My restored ones are a bit whiter than the others, but they all could be touched with a dab of paint to make them all match. Anyway, I think my 3 restored ones look real fine, definitely better than no centers at all. I thought I'd post this in case anyone else could try it.

Seabronc

Reaction score
How about adding some pictures of your finished product. Did you happen to take any pictures of the process?

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
F

famvburg

Reaction score
I can take a pic or two. No in-progress pics as I hadn't planned it as a how-to. I'll see what I can do before long.

How about adding some pictures of your finished product. Did you happen to take any pictures of the process?

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke