no acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89xlt

Reaction score
i dont have alot of acceleration and my shift points seem bad.. when i let off the gas it sometimes has a clunk and when i get back on it it will have another clunk any help

OP
OP

89xlt

Reaction score
i have a aod trans and auto hubs push button 4x4

Seabronc

Reaction score
You need to share a little more information. What gearing do you have? What size wheels? Have you changed anything in your drive train? Have you checked your Tranny fluid?

Add a little more information about your truck in your signature, it will help.

Good Luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP

89xlt

Reaction score
stock everything just added new tires which are 31s

Krafty

Reaction score
the clunks sound like bad ujoints in the drive shaft, and the sluggishness could be sign you need a tune up, whats your engine and gear ratio?

OP
OP

89xlt

Reaction score
302 and i think 3.53 whatever came in the truck just had a tune up and had some u joints replaced coming out the transfer case

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 89,

Did you try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s by my pal, BroncoJoe19

The engine temperature must be greater than 50° F for the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test and greater than 180° F for the Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc.

Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch.

Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

And Post em here according to:

KOEO

&

KOER

-------

Clunk, Driveshaft; a Bronco driveshaft normally is two pieces that slide together. The slipshaft is normally covered by a rubber boot in the middle like in the pic below;

96driveshaft.gif

The Bronco rear driveshaft is of the double Cardan type which incorporates two universal joints, a driveshaft centering socket yoke, and a driveshaft center yoke at the transfer case end of each shaft. A single universal joint is used at the axle end of the driveshaft.

miesk5 note, slip yoke is often referred to as the Slip Shaft Spline; see part 4421 in above diagram @ center

mark it before taking it apart, in order to align splines; separate it at the slip yoke; grease the splines, reassemble, using new clamps on the rubber boot

Slip Shaft Spline Lubrication pic; "...If your Bronco suffers from the notorious thunk this is a good time to **** your shaft.." by TRUCKY18 (Bco)

img_2630.jpg

-----

When you check the u-joints, park it on a flat spot, block the wheels & put it in neutral. That way the driveshaft will be free to move if the u-joints are bad...";

Attachments

• 96driveshaft.gif
    96driveshaft.gif
    7 KB · Views: 1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke