gear ratio for 35s with aod tras

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Well, it all depends on how you are using the truck. If it is a road machine and your normal cruise is 65 MPH, use the attached chart but since it is calibrated for a 55 MPH cruise you will have to shift the tire sizes left 5 positions. Overdrive is not considered when selecting the gears. The specified RPM specifications consider it in 3rd gear which is a 1:1 engine RPM to Drive shaft RPM. The OD will help on the gas mileage and is not intended for use where there are a lot of steep or long upgrade runs. If it is primarily an off road truck then that is a, "horse of a different color".

Good luck,

peace.gif

Gear selection.jpg

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
If it were mine I'd go with 4.56's for a close to stock and all around gear or 4.88's for more low end torque and wheelin' power. Of course more power equals less gas millage but it all depends on what you use it for and how far you may have to commute. Mine is a '96 5.8 with 35's & 4.56's and it is very responsive off the line, wheels great and takes hills without a problem, and gets decent gas millage. However, the extra added torque from 4.88's would be nice just because! Make sure you do the 6litre upgrade then hills and overdrive won't even be a concern. My rig rarely needs to downshift into forth when going up steep hills since I did it and the torque converter lock-out mod keeps the converter engaged. So when you do let off the gas and then push the pedal again, there is no bang when you feel it lock up again, which means less heat and wear & tear too! :)>- -Kevin-

Now that I think about it 4.56's with 33's is the same as 31's with 3.55's which was stock. Here is an easier chart for you to use. I haven't checked yet but I guess my 35's will say 4.88's equal stock 31's with 3.55's (power wise)....http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

**Put in your trans(pull down list), transfer case, First gear ratio choice, tire size(type in 35/12.50/?), then calculate. Then do the same on the other side with second gear choice and calculate. then scroll to the bottom and compare.....Like Seabronc's list says: 2000-3000 is acceptable and 2300-2600 is optimum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke