Front axle randomly engaging 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
Ok so when i got my bronc, the guy stated there was a problem with the "half shaft" on the passenger side, preventing it from engaging 4x4. While working on installing new wheel bearings saturday, we noticed the axle engaging and slipping during rotation. Could this be caused by faulty man. locking hubs? that seems to be our thought as they are factory issued, but figured i'd put it up for people who know a little more to get some much needed input. At the moment i'm not driving it until i can find and fix the problem. Any input would be appreciated.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I assume that you mean that when you rotate the tire the axle rotates. If the hub is in the FREE position then, yes the hub is not disengaged. I would pull the hubs, clean, lightly grease and reinstall them. Chances are that they have been neglected. If you find any broken parts then you might consider replacing them with a new set. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32132-1980-96-mile-marker-stainless-supreme-hub-conversion-kit.html http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=141

Good luck,

peace.gif

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
What Seabronc said -plus-

Isn't "half-shaft" a term used for front wheel drive trans-axles..?? :unsure:

A simple test... jack both wheels (jackstands) off the ground., put t-case in neutral. With hubs unlocked, reach under with a screwdriver & see if you can rotate the u-joint inside the knuckle without the wheel turning. Then lock that hub & do it again...that wheel should turn as the u-joint turns. Do the same on the other side.

Lock both hubs....spin one wheel, the other wheel should spin the oposite direction. Holding one wheel while spinning the other, the drive shaft will spin.

This is all assuming everything is working/engaging.

Best case..., as Seabronc said., it's a dirty manual hub(s)

Let us knkow what you find... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
well, we already tried seeing if the u-joints moved when in and out of 4 wheel, and they move regardless. I know i need new ones. when both hubs are in free mode, the axle will turn freely, then catch and return to turning freely. This of course is happening when i'm driving as well. Sounds like a flat tire noise, even though my tires are to proper pressure. Not sure if this is giving you guys more info or restating the problem. Is there something we're missing?

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
What Seabronc said -plus-

Isn't "half-shaft" a term used for front wheel drive trans-axles..?? :unsure:

A simple test... jack both wheels (jackstands) off the ground., put t-case in neutral. With hubs unlocked, reach under with a screwdriver & see if you can rotate the u-joint inside the knuckle without the wheel turning. Then lock that hub & do it again...that wheel should turn as the u-joint turns. Do the same on the other side.

Lock both hubs....spin one wheel, the other wheel should spin the oposite direction. Holding one wheel while spinning the other, the drive shaft will spin.

This is all assuming everything is working/engaging.

Best case..., as Seabronc said., it's a dirty manual hub(s)

Let us knkow what you find... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Also, I know half shaft is a front wheel term. I just figured the guy knew nothing about what he was talking about. I just wanted the truck haha.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I think we are still not quite communicating. So here is what I am asking you to do:

1. Make sure both are in FREE mode and the transfer case in 2H

2. With both tires on the ground, climb under the truck and rotate the front drive shaft by hand

Did both front axles turn freely?

If not, or one catches, then your suspicion is most likely correct. The one that does not rotate freely is the side with the hub that is not functioning correctly.

This could be caused by a U-joint that is on it's way out. But, since it is happening when you are driving in 2H, I would first suspect the Hub.

Good luck,

peace.gif

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
Yes, one of them catches. Strangely its the side with what i thought was the good hub. The passenger hub doesn't exactly turn well from locked to free. I'm in the process of acquiring the new hubs and u-joints, as well as a few other parts (not related). Hopefully it'll solve the problem as you said. Again i'm new to this so forgive my vague descriptions. I appreciate the help. I'll post an update once the install is complete.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yes, one of them catches. Strangely its the side with what i thought was the good hub. The passenger hub doesn't exactly turn well from locked to free. I'm in the process of acquiring the new hubs and u-joints, as well as a few other parts (not related). Hopefully it'll solve the problem as you said. Again i'm new to this so forgive my vague descriptions. I appreciate the help. I'll post an update once the install is complete.

The Axle U-joints can be a Bear to get out, make sure you remove the retainer C clips first. I had to use a lot of brute force including a hydraulic press to get my old ones out about two weeks ago. The drive shaft isn't so hard and can generally be done with a heavy duty C clamp and a large socket for a receiver cup. If you want to spend the money you could get the proper U-joint tool or perhaps you could rent one from a place like AutoZone.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke