Body mount bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
So i took my 81 into the shop yesterday to get it checked out. They basically told me I need new body mount bushings because my current ones are weak (original). What sort of time / money am I looking at to do this and is there somewhere i can find a how-to guide to doing this. I just got this truck and i'm not trying to have it fall apart on me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ps anything on rear leaf shackles would help as well!! I've done some before, but on an astro van. Similar concept?

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
Off topic, but is there a way i can change my member title? it seems to change to someone elses every day....

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
Ok i figured out the cost, which sucks! Now to figure out how to do it and then get it done once i get the parts. This project is getting bigger and bigger, but it'll be worth it when all is said and done.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Off topic, but is there a way i can change my member title? it seems to change to someone elses every day....
We do not have the ability to edit the member ID. Please explain, " it changes to someone elses".

peace.gif

Seabronc

Reaction score
So i took my 81 into the shop yesterday to get it checked out. They basically told me I need new body mount bushings because my current ones are weak (original). What sort of time / money am I looking at to do this and is there somewhere i can find a how-to guide to doing this. I just got this truck and i'm not trying to have it fall apart on me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ps anything on rear leaf shackles would help as well!! I've done some before, but on an astro van. Similar concept?
I replaced mine as part of my restoration project about a year and a half ago . All I've got to say is that it was a ROYAL PITA. To replace the front ones you need to have them all loose so you can raise the body far enough to put the new mounts and associated hardware in. 5 of the 8 were so rusted inside the bolt sleeve that I couldn't simply soak them. I ended up using a carbide saw blade, (one with diamond grit along the edge), for a sawzall to cut the tubes and that took forever because you are cutting bolts that are a number 8 hardness.

If you are going to replace any, replace them all. Use the polly mounts. Make sure you get the kit for a Bronco and not a F150. The diagram in the LMC Truck shows the wrong poly mount for position 2. That is the poly mount for a F150. In fact the one that goes in that position, including the associated hardware, is the same as position 3. As far as bolts go, the bolt kit from Bronco grave yard is much too long so just go out and get the ones listed in Meisk5's first response. From the LMC Truck catalog you will need the following hardware http://www.lmctruck....ll.aspx?Page=22 6 of #28, 6 of number 31, 2 of number 18, 6 of number 27, ( I didn't use the other numbers as they are the same part number, what I did list skips the hardware they show for position #2 and gets you the correct part). LMC truck has been notified of the diagram error for position 2, which you can see in the second diagram of Miesk5's original post. The Bronco poly kit from Bronco Graveyard http://broncograveya...co?search=33090 if you like RED then 33092 also has the correct poly bushings including the radiator support bushings. Do not waste your money on their hardware kit as it has bolts that are way too long (part number 33100). Get the hardware from LMC Truck that I previously listed, with the exception of the rear mounts, I went to LOWES and got # 8's from them. I don't know if LMC has the correct length bolts, because by then I had so many useless bolts, I didn't want to risk getting another useless set :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

If you do decide to do them, do one side at a time. You need to raise the body off the frame high enough to get the mount and the upper tube in. If you can afford it and want to save yourself a big headache, busted knuckles, years of doing penance for all the bad words you are going to use, have a body shop or some mechanic you don't like have all the fun.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the process, but I did take a few of the radiator mount replacement. They are located in my Supermotors pictures, see the signature below. Sorry about the red lettering, it is a result of copying this from a previous post on doing my body mounts
cowboy.gif

Good luck,

peace.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
I replaced mine as part of my restoration project about a year and a half ago . All I've got to say is that it was a ROYAL PITA. To replace the front ones you need to have them all loose so you can raise the body far enough to put the new mounts and associated hardware in. 5 of the 8 were so rusted inside the bolt sleeve that I couldn't simply soak them. I ended up using a carbide saw blade, (one with diamond grit along the edge), for a sawzall to cut the tubes and that took forever because you are cutting bolts that are a number 8 hardness.

If you are going to replace any, replace them all. Use the polly mounts. Make sure you get the kit for a Bronco and not a F150. The diagram in the LMC Truck shows the wrong poly mount for position 2. That is the poly mount for a F150. In fact the one that goes in that position, including the associated hardware, is the same as position 3. As far as bolts go, the bolt kit from Bronco grave yard is much too long so just go out and get the ones listed in Meisk5's first response. From the LMC Truck catalog you will need the following hardware http://www.lmctruck....ll.aspx?Page=22 6 of #28, 6 of number 31, 2 of number 18, 6 of number 27, ( I didn't use the other numbers as they are the same part number, what I did list skips the hardware they show for position #2 and gets you the correct part). LMC truck has been notified of the diagram error for position 2, which you can see in the second diagram of Miesk5's original post. The Bronco poly kit from Bronco Graveyard http://broncograveya...co?search=33090 if you like RED then 33092 also has the correct poly bushings including the radiator support bushings. Do not waste your money on their hardware kit as it has bolts that are way too long (part number 33100). Get the hardware from LMC Truck that I previously listed, with the exception of the rear mounts, I went to LOWES and got # 8's from them. I don't know if LMC has the correct length bolts, because by then I had so many useless bolts, I didn't want to risk getting another useless set :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

If you do decide to do them, do one side at a time. You need to raise the body off the frame high enough to get the mount and the upper tube in. If you can afford it and want to save yourself a big headache, busted knuckles, years of doing penance for all the bad words you are going to use, have a body shop or some mechanic you don't like have all the fun.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the process, but I did take a few of the radiator mount replacement. They are located in my Supermotors pictures, see the signature below. Sorry about the red lettering, it is a result of copying this from a previous post on doing my body mounts
cowboy.gif

Good luck,

peace.gif

Ok i'll look into that. Problem is the funding. Hopefully i can get a reasonable quote and part with the truck for a bit to get it done. After i buy the bushings/hardware that is. Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
We do not have the ability to edit the member ID. Please explain, " it changes to someone elses".

peace.gif
I believe mine says "Duck tape'll fix it" or something like that, which wasn't put there by me. Before that it was "where's my hammer", also not by me. Not sure if it's a glitch in the forum adding it when other users view my posts or what. Not a big deal, just wondering.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I believe mine says "Duck tape'll fix it" or something like that, which wasn't put there by me. Before that it was "where's my hammer", also not by me. Not sure if it's a glitch in the forum adding it when other users view my posts or what. Not a big deal, just wondering.
OH! that is just some silly thing that gets tacked on each time you post. It keeps getting changed based on how many posts you make. We have no control over it. It's part of the forum software.

peace.gif

OP
OP
J

JMo3Stix

Reaction score
OH! that is just some silly thing that gets tacked on each time you post. It keeps getting changed based on how many posts you make. We have no control over it. It's part of the forum software.

peace.gif
Alrighty then. Btw, i'm scoping out quotes for the bushing mount replacement. I don't necessarily have the resources/time to take on such a big job with a young son. Hopefully i can get that taken care of soon. Appreciate all the help!

willdy

Reaction score
I replaced mine last week with a set of prothanes. RUINED my ride! My teeth are chattering on gravel now. As soon as all my wounds heal (from sawlsawing the old ones out), I'm replacing with rubber original style. The rubber is 4x more expensive at $350 from LMC but I don't want to keep the truck otherwise. They reduced most of the body roll on hard corners but I don't want to feel every crack in the road. Butt actually vibrates on rough pavement. I almost want to pull them all out to see if somehow I have metal on metal somewhere because I can't imagine they were designed this way. I was able to get 8 of the bolts out after a couple weeks of liquid wrench treatments but still had to cut the sleeves on those 8. The front two used a blade each because I had to go through the grade 8 bolts and the sleeves.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo wildly,

Welcome;

and thanks for your review!

To get accurate info when posting Qs, soon in your profile, include your year, Model (XLT, etc.) engine size; transmission, transfer case, locking hub types and any major mods such as body or suspension lift.

Left Click your name in upper right corner; in pop-up left Click on My Profile

Below an Ad, in right side. Left Click Edit my Profile

In Left Side, Left Click Change Signature

or enter it in your reply here or in any new topic and I'll add it to your signature;

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo