Cutting a radio opening into an uncut dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famvburg

Reaction score
My '69 EB has no cut-out for a radio, yet has the grill for the speaker. When I started fixing it up a few years ago & was ready to put in a radio, I couldn't bear to cut into the original uncut dash. I bought one of those plastic under-dash radio mounts & put it under the dash but mounted the speaker in the original grill. Well, over the years I've decided I want to cut the dash & move the radio there. I'm not concerned about the appearance, I figure I can do as well as anyone since I do cutouts like that on airplanes regularly. Any opinions on if, as long as it looks 'professional', it'll have any real affect on its overall value? Not that I'm really concerned about that either, as long as the radio is where the factory would put it & it looks good. Thanks.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Fam..,

I'm sure you considered the center console with the radio/C.B. slot in it..??

I built a rack to raise my console up to make a good armrest. I'm spoiled now., but it doesn't have a radio slot., or I'd put my C.B. in it.

Someone "borrowed" my radio, when the PO had this rig.... they bent & tore the dash. :mad: I made a faceplate with 4 stainless screws & cut the hole in it. (pretty much right where the orig. hole is)

It looks pretty good., even with that semi-gloss black patch.

You'll need 6-7 inches behind the dash for clearance.

You won't have a prob. having done AC radios.... Sometimes it helps to remove the ashtray & glovebox for additional access.

A good radio may add value... A basic radio with 1 speaker wouldn't likely make any diff.

BTW.., I found it....Toms Br. Parts has the orig. radios.

------ Req. center oval hole with two small round holes on either side... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom