1989 wont start fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael1989

Reaction score
My 89 bronco was running just fine and now it won't start. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> The starter turns fine and Im 80% sure that its a fuel issue because it after it quit starting I jumped it and it started and idled just fine with about 1/6 tank of gas, then when I started it again I watched the fuel guage drop from 1/6 to E in about 4 seconds. Its not leaking anywhere on the ground. Its not out of gas because I added 3 gal. before I tried the 2nd time. I need help troubleshooting it. :unsure:

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey Michael,

First check if you have a good strong spark. Pull off a plug wire and use a ***** driver in the plug end to check for a spark, while someone is cranking the engine.

If no spark, start checking things in the distributer.

If you have spark, check for fuel preasure at the fuel line, (If injected) or squirting from the accel pump (if carb).

If you have fuel and spark, but still no start, then the problem is with a choke setting or injectors.

Let us know what type of system you have, for us to give more concise advice.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a dead battery, and that your alternator is shot.

Its possible that your battery cable connections are corroded, or the cable to/from the alternator is loose.

Howto check your battery

http://www.fordforum...ur-battery.html

Follow the instructions linked to above, and then to test the alternator, check for at least 13.4 volts at the battery with the engine running.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
michael1989

michael1989

Reaction score
It is a fuel injected 5.0L. And the engine cranks it just doesn't turn over. And if it does start, hte fuel guage reads E in 4 sec. even though I just added 3 gallons to it. It is not leaking anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmo

Reaction score
FYI Common interperation of words.

"Cranks" and "Turnsover" are typically interperted as the same thing. An engine cranks/turns over when the starter "turns" the engine. The engine then either starts or it doesnt.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Michael,

ok, try this;

Troubleshooting, starter will turn the engine, but the engine start...

in 4.9, 5.0, or 5.8L; "....Remember, the engine needs Air, Fuel and Spark to start and when it's not starting... it's because one of these three components is missing from the mix. Let's take a brief look at each area (system):..." read more Source: by easyautodiagnostics.com

This goes through the drill; take time to read it; ask about what isn't clear or where to test.

Also

Troubleshooting Worksheet; miesk5 Note; this is the Grey Ignition Module

tfi-worksheet.jpg

Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at SuperMotors.net

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo